Most cheap-jerk question ever?

slappy magoo

Original Poster
But I'm adult enough to admit it. And knowing is half the battle.
Slapperina is 9 now. She'll turn 10 just before we arrive for our next trip. There's no way she'll have the appetite of an adult, so buying a dining plan is flat out not cost effective.

We have been getting the deluxe plan, and for the grownups it's kind of a break-even, but for the kids, often having sit down meals for breakfast and dinner, character meals, pay one price meals, Signature dinners at Cali Grill or going to HoopDeDo...then it becomes cost effective, at least in terms of what we'd pay for the same places, if we ordered the same things, and we paid normal prices. We usually finish up with many of our snack credits and a few of our meal credits left over, which we convert to more snack credits, buy things that will "keep" for a while when we get home, and it still winds up being a comparative value. Or it did until my stupid kid decided to continue to age.

But if I buy it now while she's 9...?

DisneyJoe

But I'm adult enough to admit it. And knowing is half the battle.
Slapperina is 9 now. She'll turn 10 just before we arrive for our next trip. There's no way she'll have the appetite of an adult, so buying a dining plan is flat out not cost effective.

We have been getting the deluxe plan, and for the grownups it's kind of a break-even, but for the kids, often having sit down meals for breakfast and dinner, character meals, pay one price meals, Signature dinners at Cali Grill or going to HoopDeDo...then it becomes cost effective, at least in terms of what we'd pay for the same places, if we ordered the same things, and we paid normal prices. We usually finish up with many of our snack credits and a few of our meal credits left over, which we convert to more snack credits, buy things that will "keep" for a while when we get home, and it still winds up being a comparative value. Or it did until my stupid kid decided to continue to age.

I know you know this, but the cost isn't based on the age of the child now, but on the age of the child at the time of travel....unless you stretch the truth...

Minnie Mum

To answer the title of your thread: uh, yes.
You've been on these boards for 14 years. I think you already know that it doesn't matter what her age is now, what matters is the age she's at when she first steps on Disney property on your next trip. So you're asking if it's OK to break the rules, and to put a fine point on it, commit fraud to avoid paying for her adult dining plan. Given what you said about your previous use of the DxDP, you might look at just paying out of pocket and letting the kids eat whatever they want (Slappina can still eat from the kids menu except at buffets and aycte places). You could actually save money, and not have to break the rules.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
uwkb6.jpg

slappy magoo

Original Poster
To answer the title of your thread: uh, yes.
You've been on these boards for 14 years. I think you already know that it doesn't matter what her age is now, what matters is the age she's at when she first steps on Disney property on your next trip. So you're asking if it's OK to break the rules, and to put a fine point on it, commit fraud to avoid paying for her adult dining plan. Given what you said about your previous use of the DxDP, you might look at just paying out of pocket and letting the kids eat whatever they want (Slappina can still eat from the kids menu except at buffets and aycte places). You could actually save money, and not have to break the rules.
Congratulations.
That was the test.
And you passed.
I couldn't be more proud.
(wipes tear away, walks into sunset with slight limp more for dramatic effect than need)

Although to be fair it does steam my ham that any kid who's 10 is considered an adult for both dining and quite frankly for theme park tickets.

Minnie Mum

Congratulations.
That was the test.
And you passed.
I couldn't be more proud.
(wipes tear away, walks into sunset with slight limp more for dramatic effect than need)

Although to be fair it does steam my ham that any kid who's 10 is considered an adult for both dining and quite frankly for theme park tickets.
Yay, I passed your test. And now we do the dance of joy. But seriously...

As for the age limits- a 10 year old, unless they are a special case, can do any attraction an adult can, so why shouldn't they pay the same ticket price? For dining, they only pay adult prices if they order off the adult menu at a la carte restaurants, or are at a buffet or aycte restaurant. I've seen 8 year olds who can pack away more food in a sitting than my husband can. And I've seen adults who eat like a bird. Disney has to set the age limit somewhere, and it is what it is. The dining plans were never intended to suit every family. If it doesn't work for your family, then don't get it.

slappy magoo

Original Poster
Yay, I passed your test. And now we do the dance of joy. But seriously...

As for the age limits- a 10 year old, unless they are a special case, can do any attraction an adult can, so why shouldn't they pay the same ticket price? For dining, they only pay adult prices if they order off the adult menu at a la carte restaurants, or are at a buffet or aycte restaurant. I've seen 8 year olds who can pack away more food in a sitting than my husband can. And I've seen adults who eat like a bird. Disney has to set the age limit somewhere, and it is what it is. The dining plans were never intended to suit every family. If it doesn't work for your family, then don't get it.

All fair questions, and any answer I can give roughly translates to "Waahhhh, poor poor pitiful me, give me something for nothing." But I'd argue - ineffectively - that precious few children are going to WDW on their own dime, they consider a child to be a "child" if they're staying in a hotel room with a parent, so the park ticket price should reflect that as well. Watch, I'll be the one who gives WDW the idea to charge an extra double sawbuck for kids staying in room with adults just like if they had additional adults in the room.

As far as dining goes, Sure some kids at buffets can sock it away, just as some adults eat like birds but still pay the adult price. But considering how much more expensive eating on site is - and how many of them are character meals guaranteed to attract families - the idea that they'll charge me around 60% more than the kids' price for my oldest who will barely be 10 when we arrive, when her appetite won't be 60% more than the last time we went, is causing me a lot of sticker shock outside of the dining plan. But hey, supply and demand, what the market will bear, if we don't go, I'm sure another family will take the table at Crystal Palace we otherwise would have.

But yeah, I've made the kids aware that there won't be as many character meals as there were in the past, and to choose the ones they want, wisely. My oldest will probably pick off the kids' menu more often than not when restaurants are ala carte. My wife and I will probably share appetizers and desserts (or forgo them if we're dialing back the gluttony). We'll probably spend less altogether. and not be pigs.

But since wishes and buts AREN'T clusters of nuts, I wish WDW would explore an option of a third tier of prices at pay-one-price restaurants, for, like, the 10-15 set. They lose out on the kids with ravenous appetites, who can stuff their pieholes, with or without pie, but they still make out with the fussy older kids who are still fine with some chicken fingers and mac 'n cheese. Wouldn't be all that feasible for the dining plan but a nice stepping stone before having to shell out full adult prices for people who can't even get drivers' permits.

But hey, I'm not stamping my feet and wailing about life being unfair. I knew what I was getting into when my wife first said she wanted kids. And one day I'm sure I'll need a kidney. Hell at least one. It'll work out. Hakuna, meet matata.

Minnie Mum

I like your sense of humour, Slappy. Take the long view. Eventually Slappina will be taking you to WDW on her dime, and posting here asking if it's OK to put grandad on one of the fold outs at AoA and ordering kids meals for you 'cause you can only gum the mac n cheez and nuggets. That's the phase we're at. :joyfull:

slappy magoo

Original Poster
I like your sense of humour, Slappy. Take the long view. Eventually Slappina will be taking you to WDW on her dime, and posting here asking if it's OK to put grandad on one of the fold outs at AoA and ordering kids meals for you 'cause you can only gum the mac n cheez and nuggets. That's the phase we're at. :joyfull:
"Sure he's 68 years old, but mentally he's under-3, come on have a heart!"

slappy magoo

Original Poster
Simply time your trip during "free dining" and let WDW pay for your kid's meals...
Can't do it. My wife is a school librarian with a very strong work ethic. She's not gonna take time off the school year to go to WDW, and it's during the school year that they usually have free dining promotions Plus, we're DVC.

slappy magoo

Original Poster
OK, here's a serious, hopefully-not-jerky question. We might opt for Tables in Wonderland. I know some counter service restaurants use 'em, usually in places where there are few or no table service options. I can't find a comprehensive list. Anyone have one?

Also, the first leg of our trip will be in Kidani. I know Sanaa accepts TiW for lunch and dinner. Anyone know about breakfast when it's a more of a counter-service approach?

lostpro9het

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I believe in following the rules at all times...if you violate them, eventually someone else's ends up paying for it - most times.

HOWEVER...this is the one area where I'm really torn. There should be a "transitional period"...say between 10 and 13 where they can choose either.

If you wanted to buy an adult meal for your 7 year old...you'd get no grief whatsoever.

The difference in cost between kids and adult at the vastly overpriced Disney restaurants now is so egregious...it's kinda a conundrum.

daisyduckie

I believe in following the rules at all times...if you violate them, eventually someone else's ends up paying for it - most times.

HOWEVER...this is the one area where I'm really torn. There should be a "transitional period"...say between 10 and 13 where they can choose either.

If you wanted to buy an adult meal for your 7 year old...you'd get no grief whatsoever.

The difference in cost between kids and adult at the vastly overpriced Disney restaurants now is so egregious...it's kinda a conundrum.

No conundrum. The cost is what it is, not what someone wished it was.

No different to me than going into a grocery store and lamenting the fact that steak costs so much yet hamburger is cheap. I don't get to pick the cost, but I get to pick what I spend my money on.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom