Most cheap-jerk question ever?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
And that's where it's the biggest kick in the butt. In the past we've taken advantage of character buffets mostly to get to the parks earlier. On the Deluxe Plan, we might spend our morning at Akershus before rope-drop, use snack credits for a light lunch, then another sitdown meal for dinner, an extra credit left over for a Signature Dining experience or, since the plan is based on each night on property, using the credit for a nice sit down breakfast or lunch on check out day before traveling home. And we've done that for each of the parks -Tusker House at AK, Crystal Palace at MK, Hollywood and Vine at DHS. But with not-so-li'l Slapperina now being $76 more a day on the DDP, it probably makes more sense to a: not do all those character meals and b: see if Tables in Wonderland is a better deal. I'm sure off of the dining plan, outside of those character meals and buffets, she'll eat off the kids' menu more often than not, and things will balance out.

But hey, first world problems, famine and plague in other parts of the world, who am I to grip about this stuff?

First world indeed...

I'm not a huge character Buffet person...they are pretty bold faced ripoff...but without tables in wonderland, I'd never even consider it.

Dining plan is just a pre-payment now...no need to feed the beast in advance.

Epcotbob

You know, just thinking here...

When it comes to staying at a resort or getting a theme park ticket, adults and children are getting exactly the same thing, regardless of how old they are. It's not like a child's ticket gets you less at the theme park or that you have less of a place to sleep if you don't pay an adult rate at a resort.

But when we're talking about dining, most restaurants on property have adult menus and kids menus. You get different things at the two different levels. So if a thirteen year old is willing to eat off the kids menus, why shouldn't they be able to? And why shouldn't you be able to buy the child priced dining plan for them, so long as it's restricted to only ordering from the kids menus?

(To be clear: I'm not talking about gaming the system or lying about ages here. I'm asking why Disney shouldn't just offer the option when it comes to dining.)

Agreed.....my guess is that if you told Disney your kid is just turning 10 before the trip but would like to stick with the Kid level dining plan, they would probably chuckle and say "Sure, close enough!". I suspect, at least with the dining plan since it's a different product, that the 10 year old rule is more of a guideline than a rigid, unalterable "letter of the law" type rule.

Phonedave

Agreed.....my guess is that if you told Disney your kid is just turning 10 before the trip but would like to stick with the Kid level dining plan, they would probably chuckle and say "Sure, close enough!". I suspect, at least with the dining plan since it's a different product, that the 10 year old rule is more of a guideline than a rigid, unalterable "letter of the law" type rule.

I have said this before on these forums. You have to draw a bright line somewhere. 9/10 at the time of the vacation is the bright line WDW has decided to use.

You *could* have a sliding scale, 9 y/o are $20, 10 y/o are $22, 11 y/o $24 etc. But then, aside from being a bear to administer, you are going to get somebody who has a 9.5 y/o and wants to pay $21.

The cost cut off has to be decided somewhere,

Now I do think that people should be able to eat off of whatever menu they like. Sometimes I am hungry, other times I am not, and I order accordingly (but usually not off the kids menu, i'll order something lighter or forego an appetizer or dessert). As far as buffets are concerned, that is the risk you take. Maybe you show up not hungry, maybe you eat the "cheap" food, buffets are always going to be a toss up, and a hard pill to swallow when you have a small eater to pay for.

-dave

daisyduckie

I doubt it, unless you are talking the Quick Service plan only.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom