News Morocco Pavilion redevelopment

Disney Analyst

I am devastated by this. The chicken shawarma was my favorite counter service meal in WDW. I always ate there several times per trip. Believe it or not, that type of chicken shawarma is NOT available in many areas of the US. Not one restaurant in my mid sized city carries that kind of chicken on a spit. It truly was a very good meal. This actually bothers me more then any other change they have made recently. 😭

You know the rule, Disneyland gains it, WDW loses it. You’ll need to visit Avengers Campus for your Shawarma fix. 😉

LittleBuford

That's why I didn't mention the Blue Mosque. The Hagia Sophia would have been a perfect option as a historic, secular building until last year -- but that's also why I said there's no chance they'd build a Turkey pavilion with Turkey's current leadership.

Not that I think they're going to add any pavilions at all anytime soon, if ever.
I would say it was controversial even before its recent (re)conversion into a mosque because of its history as a Byzantine monument. Many Greek people object to its being treated as a symbol of Turkey.

LittleBuford

That's funny that Disney would take it off because it is not "authentic", but when it was run by Morocco, they had it on the menu. There was no harm in keeping it since it was popular.
Again, I don’t for one minute imagine that Disney removed it for that reason. It’s just interesting to note that a strictly traditional take on Moroccan cuisine wouldn’t include shawarma in the first place.

UNCgolf

I would say it was controversial even before its recent (re)conversion into a mosque because of its history as a Byzantine monument. Many Greek people object to its being treated as a symbol of Turkey.

That's fair, although I think if Greece had their own separate pavilion it may not matter as much. I'm also not sure how much people would care about it going in at EPCOT at Disney World anyways, but who knows.

The Galata Tower would also be a good one to use.

UNCgolf

Another monument with little claim to Turkishness (it was built by the Genoese), but at least not controversial!

Have you visited Istanbul?

Hah, I know, but it's very recognizable and would be easy to put into a pavilion as a weenie. I also thought about Topkapi Palace, but it would be a lot harder to make something like that fit into an EPCOT pavilion and still be recognizable. I suppose they could just build areas inspired by it and it wouldn't really matter if people knew where it came from -- I'm sure the vast majority of EPCOT visitors don't know the tower in Morocco is based on the Kutubiyya Mosque, for one. So many of the attention grabbing Ottoman buildings are religious in nature, which isn't necessarily a problem (see Morocco) but I don't know if current Disney would be interested.

I have not been to Istanbul, but it's near the top of my list of places to visit next.

TrainsOfDisney

That's funny that Disney would take it off because it is not "authentic", but when it was run by Morocco, they had it on the menu. There was no harm in keeping it since it was popular.
Disney didn’t take anything off the menu - they took everything off the menu! Lol.

This is not the same cafe and has an entiriely different menu now. It is now run by Disney and is basically operating as the Morocco F&W Booth.

TJJohn12

I am devastated by this. The chicken shawarma was my favorite counter service meal in WDW. I always ate there several times per trip. Believe it or not, that type of chicken shawarma is NOT available in many areas of the US. Not one restaurant in my mid sized city carries that kind of chicken on a spit. It truly was a very good meal. This actually bothers me more then any other change they have made recently. 😭
Also one of the best deals on the DDP for counter service IMHO. I'm going to really miss the tabbouleh and associated fixings that went with the platters as well. Eating at Tangerine Cafe was one of the highlights of our trips. My wife loves kofta, I love shawarma.

At least Katsura Grill is still the same at the moment. Hopefully it lasts until January.

TikibirdLand

I wonder why they made them out of metal instead of using actual tile?

Only thing I can think of is that the metal may last longer/need less upkeep, but I have no idea if that's actually true.
You'd actually have to hire artisans to make the tiles. When painting them, the color isn't real until it's fired. So, if you haven't been doing this for a long time, you don't know how the colors will turn out. There are people in florida that can do can do it. Seems they don't want to hire them.

ImperfectPixie

You'd actually have to hire artisans to make the tiles. When painting them, the color isn't real until it's fired. So, if you haven't been doing this for a long time, you don't know how the colors will turn out. There are people in florida that can do can do it. Seems they don't want to hire them.
That's what I was thinking, too...I was a professional sign-painter, and I remember back in the day when I took a ceramics class how much it freaked me out that the glazes look so different when you paint them from the finished product...sometimes the tint isn't even similar to what you get after it's fired.

LittleBuford

Does anyone know if the original sign (shown below) has been left in place?

2019-wdw-epcot-general-stock-morocco-pavilion-tangierine-cafe-686x600.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom