News Morocco Pavilion redevelopment

Disstevefan1

These are nothing like my analogies, which involved conflating different cultures and regions. That’s what this this thread is full of—people treating Morocco as if it could be anywhere in the Arab/Muslim world rather than recognising it as a specific place with a distinctive culture.
Agreed. Disney is destroying Morocco....

Disstevefan1

Not as much as some here would like them to.
I will tell you, we really miss that fantastic counter service there and we also loved the sit down restaurant. I wish we went more.

It really bothered me Disney EVICTED the folks when they were FORCED to close due to the pandemic!

BAD SHOW DISNEY!

DCLcruiser

His father is Mustafa in the original story and has nothing to do with Ali Baba.
I do not recall, nor can I find any evidence of his father being in the first movie. There are sequels; Aladdin's father is Cassim, who is the leader of the Forty Thieves. The character is based on Ali Baba.

Last edited:

Bocabear

I really miss the old Morocco Pavilion... It is now a shadow of itself... Maybe at some point they will find another restaurant Hospitality group to take over the Main restaurant...That would help it out greatly... Maybe plus up the cultural museum and add some sort of attraction... any sort of attraction... And yes, I would prefer it be Moroccan...

LittleBuford

I do not recall, nor can I find any evidence of his father being in the first movie. There are sequels; Aladdin's father is Cassim, who is the leader of the Forty Thieves. The character is based on Ali Baba.
I was under the impression that you were referring to the original story. That’s how this conversation began at any rate. Cassim is Disney’s invention for the sequels.

Centauri Space Station

I really miss the old Morocco Pavilion... It is now a shadow of itself... Maybe at some point they will find another restaurant Hospitality group to take over the Main restaurant...That would help it out greatly... Maybe plus up the cultural museum and add some sort of attraction... any sort of attraction... And yes, I would prefer it be Moroccan...
Currently it has spice road table service, tangerine counter offering less options but still decent, shops, pastries, belly dancer music infront, an exhibit area and the table service being used as a lounge. It’s not great but it’s not exactly WOL or JIYI

Disgruntled Walt

In the Parks
No
Dave Chapelle GIF by MOODMAN

LittleBuford

Maybe I'm mistaken, but I don't think Ive ever read that someone wants Morocco destroyed. I know I don't. It is a beautiful pavilion.
I’m referring to the calls for Disney to add a Sinbad ride or a speakeasy to the pavilion. Such interventions, in my view at least, would spoil the space further.

There have also been posts suggesting that Disney should retheme it to Egypt, as if that would require no effort at all.

aladdin2007

Currently it has spice road table service, tangerine counter offering less options but still decent, shops, pastries, belly dancer music infront, an exhibit area and the table service being used as a lounge. It’s not great but it’s not exactly WOL or JIYI
I don't know but the one and only little one way out front is nothing to brag about, there is nothing operating for merch in the pavilion itself anymore.

Last edited:

Bocabear

Last time I was there the entire Bazaar area was shut down...The restaurant turned into a Passholder Lounge...nothing of note going on at the back of the Pavilion. A brand rew Restaurant at the back...with an attached , heavily themed Speakeasy would not harm the pavilion but give people a reason to explore further... Revitalizing the cultural museum, reopening the Bazaar, and adding more exhibit space would be great too! Adding a ride would be even better...

ppete1975

I think we are all aware of what world showcase is. Its a place to have festivals, and for people to pay to get drunk. Sadly thats all it is at this point.
What started out as a beautiful introduction to cultures, architecture, and wonder that all of the countries showcase in a time when national geographic was the worlds eyes to most countries, and the amount of people you knew that went to any of them could be had on one hand has changed. What was a tourism and goodwill experience, that filled you with curiosity and made you want to book a trip through your travel agent someday and see it in real life.. is dead.

Once travel became cheaper, we had access to a million channels, and streaming services that showed REAL people going to these countries. Remember what TV looked like in 1983 compared to ultra hd we have now.... Once the ability came that you could google a place and learn everything then book quickly on a website, the mystique and wonder have dissipated.

Also speaking to the native people of each countries was exotic at that time, now there's a good chance you know people from these countries.

So like future world Disney is having to reinvent it by shoe horning IP where it doesn't belong or even where it does.. its to the point that all of the amazing work by these Disney artists is ignored or not even noticed as people's heads are buried in their phones to take a selfie or see what ride times are/ get a lightning lane.

If world showcase was what it was, and stayed true to what it was in 83 and there were no festivals, it would be a ghost town.

Hopefully they dont destroy it like they did Future world...

At least the scary traumatizing characters have been replaced by loveable disney characters... that was an improvement.

LittleBuford

So is the alternative they leave it empty and 99% of people just walk by because it’s not appropriately themed?? I'd gladly take a new restaurant and attached speak easy.
There is more than one alternative. The notion that the only way to revivatilise the pavilion is by introducing a thematically irrelevant and culturally inappropriate speakeasy is absurd.

DCLcruiser

Yes, but tourist area hotels, restaurants, etc are allowed to serve alcohol. So, if you want to lean on Casablanca for ex-pats, or tourists, it could work without being offensive.

That being said, I get your overall thought. WS has enough drink options. Let's focus on culture and a ride.

Disstevefan1

Just my opinion -

I do not think folks are getting pleasure out of Morocco getting destroyed.

I do not think there are racists on these boards wanting Morocco to be erased from WS.

Can we point the blame for the Morocco pavilion where it should go please! DISNEY!

Disney EVICTED the folks who were operating the pavilion when they were forced to close due to covid. You would think Disney would have been a better partner and gave them some slack so they could stay!

Don't give me Disney is a for profit business when they burn through hundreds of millions of dollars in their movie business with big losses and no ROI.

Now that the Morocco pavilion has been destroyed and its clear Disney does not care about upholding the original intent of World Showcase, folks on the boards are simply suggesting stuff that's better than the pavilion being empty.

Stuff like this will not end. Each and every pavilion is one missed rent payment from being destroyed.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom