News Morocco Pavilion redevelopment

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Truth be told, while I wouldn't welcome such an attraction, nor would I be outraged by it—so long as it was indoors and had no effect on the pavilion's architecture or ambience. The main point I was trying to make is that Agrabah in Morocco isn't equivalent to Arendelle in Norway; it represents another (and significantly larger) step away from the host country and into the realm of fantasy.
I disagree. I think Frozen and Aladdin are both equal in the distance away from the original intentions of World Showcase.

to each their own...

Bocabear

I agree that Morocco as it stands is already a very fleshed out and immersive pavilion. It doesn't need any additions.
When everything is open, it is very nice but still felt like it was missing an attraction... All of the pavilions should offer at least one real attraction, and no, the museum doesn't count. and by attraction, I don't mean a shoehorned cartoon Ip, but something that makes sense stylistically with the culture and story of the pavilion.
Germany never got it's boat ride, nor did the UK pavilion... Japan never got anything... Neither the "Meet The World" rotating theater show that was designed (and built for it) or the long rumored and never started mountain coaster. Aside from Norway, nothing of substance has been added to the World Showcase (until RAT right now)... It still needs more...and it still needs better. It is a beautiful framework for what could be the best park in the world...if the investment was there.

Castle Cake Apologist

I disagree. I think Frozen and Aladdin are both equal in the distance away from the original intentions of World Showcase.

to each their own...

I don't think you understand what he is saying? Arendelle was quite literally based on Norway when the film was created. Agrabah was in no way based on Morocco, and the architecture in the movie doesn't coincide with architecture seen in Morocco or the Moroccan pavilion.

What is with everybody's weird take that every country in the Arab world is exactly the same? Agrabah was based on classical Baghdad, which is nothing like Morocco. Aladdin wouldn't even be a fit stylistically, let alone culturally. They're not even in the same region of the world. They're not even on the same continent. Honestly, if we want to get super technical, the original story of Aladdin portrays him as being Chinese.

For what's worth, I'm 50% certain @LittleBuford is of Moroccan decent, so I would imagine he would know better than any of us.

LittleBuford

When everything is open, it is very nice but still felt like it was missing an attraction... All of the pavilions should offer at least one real attraction, and no, the museum doesn't count. and by attraction, I don't mean a shoehorned cartoon Ip, but something that makes sense stylistically with the culture and story of the pavilion.
Germany never got it's boat ride, nor did the UK pavilion... Japan never got anything... Neither the "Meet The World" rotating theater show that was designed (and built for it) or the long rumored and never started mountain coaster. Aside from Norway, nothing of substance has been added to the World Showcase (until RAT right now)... It still needs more...and it still needs better. It is a beautiful framework for what could be the best park in the world...if the investment was there.
Morocco is one of the pavilions I linger in most when I visit World Showcase. Parts of it are uncannily like the real thing—the courtyard, for example—and worth a proper look rather than a speedy walkthrough by those on the hunt for a “real” attraction. The same goes for the museum.

Fans here often complain that Epcot is losing its distinctive identity. Morocco as it stands exemplifies that identity and is a jewel in the crown of World Showcase. I hope you revisit it with fresh eyes when next you're there.

Castle Cake Apologist

Morocco is one of the pavilions I linger in most when I visit World Showcase. Parts of it are uncannily like the real thing—the courtyard, for example—and worth a proper look rather than a speedy walkthrough by those on the hunt for a “real” attraction. The same goes for the museum.

Fans here often complain that Epcot is losing its distinctive identity. Morocco as it stands exemplifies that identity and is a jewel in the crown of World Showcase. I hope you revisit it with fresh eyes when next you're there.

Morocco is hands-down my favorite pavilion, and I could honestly spend hours there just taking everything in. I love getting lost in the twisting corridors and appreciating the incredible craftsmanship.

I believe it's the only pavilion that the host country had a part in creating. King Hassan II had a personal hand in the design, and before construction could begin, a scale model had to be delivered to the Royal Architect, who was responsible for ensuring accuracy. Princess Lalla Meriem even attended the opening ceremony. Not to mention that the pavilion was built and embellished by actual Moroccan artists.

But, sure, let's shove Aladdin in there, because... Middle East-ish? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

LittleBuford

I don't think you understand what he is saying? Arendelle was quite literally based on Norway when the film was created. Agrabah was in no way based on Morocco, and the architecture in the movie doesn't coincide with architecture seen in Morocco or the Moroccan pavilion.

What is with everybody's weird take that every country in the Arab world is exactly the same? Agrabah was based on classical Baghdad, which is nothing like Morocco. Aladdin wouldn't even be a fit stylistically, let alone culturally. They're not even in the same region of the world. They're not even on the same continent. Honestly, if we want to get super technical, the original story of Aladdin portrays him as being Chinese.

For what's worth, I'm 50% certain @LittleBuford is of Moroccan decent, so I would imagine he would know better than any of us.
I'm from the other end of the Mediterranean (of mainly Turkish heritage with some Arab thrown in), but I know the art and architecture of the wider region really well.

As you say, people hear "Arab" and think it's all the same. It's as reductive and inaccurate as conflating LA and New York, or Paris and Venice.

To be fair, Agrabah itself is guilty of mixing things from different sources, some of them far outside the Arab world (the palace definitely has a Taj Mahal vibe). But the end result has very little to do with the Maghrib (the region where Morocco is) and is much closer to the architectural traditions of Egypt and the Arab lands east of it, as well as of Iran.

Here's a cityscape of Agrabah:

Ek25PENXUAMxrw7.jpg

The abundance of domes is alone enough to tell us that we are far outside Morocco, where green tiled roofs are more prominent.

WondersOfLife

I don't think you understand what he is saying?
I do. We just don't see eye to eye.
Arendelle was quite literally based on Norway when the film was created. Agrabah was in no way based on Morocco, and the architecture in the movie doesn't coincide with architecture seen in Morocco or the Moroccan pavilion.
In the live action film: "To create Agrabah, Emmy Award-winning production designer Gemma Jackson took inspiration from Moroccan, Persian and Turkish architecture and elements of Arab, Indian and South Asian cultures." And I'm sure the cartoon probably drew elements as well. It's not the main focus of course, but like I said, it works just as well as Frozen does with Norway. You're missing my point.
What is with everybody's weird take that every country in the Arab world is exactly the same?
I didn't say that. Blame Disney for jumbling them all together into their film if you're going to take that route.
Agrabah was based on classical Baghdad, which is nothing like Morocco.
Agrabah is a fictional land based on many different countries... Morocco just happens to be included in a list of them.
Aladdin wouldn't even be a fit stylistically, let alone culturally.
Stylistically, yes it would, actually. That's why they've had meet and greets there. lol
They're not even in the same region of the world.
I didn't say they were.
They're not even on the same continent.
I didn't say they were.
Honestly, if we want to get super technical, the original story of Aladdin portrays him as being Chinese.
That's the problem. I wasn't being technical at all... You guys are reading way too into this.
Good for him.

All of that aside, in my honest opinion, Aladdin would work in World Showcase just as well as Frozen does... And even Rat for that matter. No singular IP fits in World Showcase. But at this point, they might as well shove Aladdin into Morocco with the direction they're heading. Would I fully approve? No. But at least we could get some decent entertainment in with a live stage show in the back of the park.

Yeesh. You guys are soul sucking. I'm done repeating myself now. Let's move on...

Last edited:

LittleBuford

I do. We just don't see eye to eye.

In the live action film: "To create Agrabah, Emmy Award-winning production designer Gemma Jackson took inspiration from Moroccan, Persian and Turkish architecture and elements of Arab, Indian and South Asian cultures." And I'm sure the cartoon probably drew elements as well. It's not the main focus of course, but like I said, it works just as well as Frozen does with Norway. You're missing my point.

I didn't say that. Blame Disney for jumbling them all together into their film if you're going to take that route.

Agrabah is a fictional land based on many different countries... Morocco just happens to be included in a list of them.

Stylistically, yes it would, actually. That's why they've had meet and greets there. lol

I didn't say they were.

I didn't say they were.

That's the problem. I wasn't being technical at all... You guys are reading way too into this.

Good for him.

All of that aside, in my honest opinion, Aladdin would work in World Showcase just as well as Frozen does... And even Rat for that matter. No singular IP fits in World Showcase. But at this point, they might as well shove Aladdin into Morocco with the direction they're heading. Would I fully approve? No. But at least we could get some decent entertainment in with a live stage show in the back of the park.

Yeesh. You guys are soul sucking. I'm done repeating myself now. Let's move on...
With respect, some things aren't a matter of opinion. It's simply incorrect to say that Agrabah is as close to Morocco as Arendelle is to Norway, because the facts speak against such an equation. You have every right to believe that an Aladdin attraction still belongs in the pavilion (and as said, I wouldn't be outraged if one were added). That really is an opinion, and no-one can take it away from you even if they disagree with it. But wherever one stands on that particular issue, there's no getting away from the fact—and it is a fact—that Agrabah is very far indeed from any real Moroccan city, drawing its inspiration principally from architectural traditions thousands of miles further east.

Last edited:

WondersOfLife

With respect, some things aren't a matter of opinion. It's simply incorrect to say that Agrabah is as close to Morocco as Arendelle is to Norway, because the facts speak against such an equation.
That's where we aren't seeing eye to eye. I'm not talking about the movie directly related to location. I'm talking about the movie+added attraction directly related to World Showcase. There is enough connection for them to co-exist. Whether it's accurate or not. That's not my point, though.

LittleBuford

That's where we aren't seeing eye to eye. I'm not talking about the movie directly related to location. I'm talking about the movie+added attraction directly related to World Showcase. There is enough connection for them to co-exist. Whether it's accurate or not. That's not my point, though.
I think we're making somewhat different points, as @DisneyExpert noted earlier. Mine relates simply to the issue of Agrabah's connection (or lack thereof) to the real Morocco. While related, the question of whether an Aladdin attraction can be justified in the pavilion is somewhat different, and one I feel much less strongly about.

TikibirdLand

I'm from the other end of the Mediterranean (of mainly Turkish heritage with some Arab thrown in), but I know the art and architecture of the wider region really well.

As you say, people hear "Arab" and think it's all the same. It's as reductive and inaccurate as conflating LA and New York, or Paris and Venice.

To be fair, Agrabah itself is guilty of mixing things from different sources, some of them far outside the Arab world (the palace definitely has a Taj Mahal vibe). But the end result has very little to do with the Maghrib (the region where Morocco is) and is much closer to the architectural traditions of Egypt and the Arab lands east of it, as well as of Iran.

Here's a cityscape of Agrabah:

Ek25PENXUAMxrw7.jpg

The abundance of domes is alone enough to tell us that we are far outside Morocco, where green tiled roofs are more prominent.
oh, that's galaxy's edge! Just need a Bantha and an R Unit or two and you'd be all set!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom