News Morocco Pavilion redevelopment

Animaniac93-98

I'm not sure it has the staying power for that, especially since it will almost certainly be another 5+ years before Disney thinks about building something else at EPCOT. That would make Big Hero 6 over a decade old and it already feels like it's mostly forgotten (at least in the US). I personally forgot it existed until you mentioned it in this comment because it never seems to be represented or discussed anywhere compared to other recent movies from Disney animation -- it feels like the odd man out from that decade of DAS films. Tangled, Moana, Wreck-It Ralph, and of course Frozen show up in various ways far more regularly.

Winnie the Pooh was also in that decade (and forgotten) but it's a whole different thing.

BH6 got a spin off animated series and Baymax will get a Disney+ show. He also just got a ride, though a minor one, at Tokyo Disneyland.

The movie was also one of the levels in Kingdom Hearts 3.

Disney still sees some value in the property, but I don't expect anything major for it in the parks.

UNCgolf

BH6 got a spin off animated series and Baymax will get a Disney+ show. He also just got a ride, though a minor one, at Tokyo Disneyland.

Disney still sees some value in the property, but I don't expect anything major for it in the parks.

Sure, I wasn't suggesting Disney was going to bury it or anything like that. Just doesn't seem like something they'd want to build an attraction around 10-15 years after release and I doubt it moves merchandise the way other IPs do -- or at least that's how it seemed last time I was at WDW because there was very little merch related to BH6. There wasn't a ton of Wreck It Ralph stuff either, but that movie did get a sequel.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

Baymax was also a huggable M&G in Epcot.

Lot more popular in Tokyo, tho.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Maybe I am!

In my personal experience, though, I almost never see anything related to Big Hero 6 and see stuff related to the all the others regularly -- like 100x as much. This thread is actually the first time I've heard or seen anything related to Big Hero 6 in months and months (hence why I'd forgotten it even existed) whereas I seen someone referencing all of the others on basically a daily basis. With that said, it was definitely financially successful.

Tron is a separate argument IMO because it's a cloned ride. I don't think they would have built one from scratch if it didn't already exist elsewhere. I imagine it was in development for Shanghai not long after the Tron sequel came out so it seemed like good synergy at the time (even though that movie didn't perform well).

Aerosmith was big again when that ride opened (or at least when it was in development) thanks to Armageddon, and Avatar was the highest grossing movie of all time. Twilight Zone was a fit for the theme of the park, plus as an anthology series it was always just a name more than anything else so it's a bit different than a ride actually themed around an IP. Who knows about Splash Mountain, but I think it was at least partially a way to reuse all the America Sings AAs. Definitely wasn't anything popular at the time, though.
All fair points. But also speaking, folks on these forums aren’t the best source to go off of based on IP Popularity. I imagine Most people here are more classic movie oriented than modern IP. So things like big hero 6, Raya and the last dragon, and other similar, newer films, don’t stick out to them as much as they do to the younger generation.

UNCgolf

All fair points. But also speaking, folks on these forums aren’t the best source to go off of based on IP Popularity. I imagine Most people here are more classic movie oriented than modern IP. So things like big hero 6, Raya and the last dragon, and other similar, newer films, don’t stick out to them as much as they do to the younger generation.

Oh absolutely, but I wasn't only basing it on this forum -- also basing it on my niece and nephews and their friends along with what I saw merchandise-wise at WDW last January. None of that is close to definitive, though.

The Empress Lilly

Additionally I’ll save you the effort;View attachment 543667View attachment 543668
I would have been too busy riding the Cross Country Canada E-ticket. -_-

Brace snow blizzard cold blasted at you and get rewarded with a bag of milk! Club Cool avant la lettre!

FB_IMG_1617204818531.jpg
FB_IMG_1617204998737.jpg

Brer Oswald

Oh, I completely agree. It was be atrocious. But I wouldn't put it past the company to loosely tie it in to the pavilion. I would not be shocked. And neither should you, if it were to happen.

Let me know how you feel about Moana not being placed in Adventureland instead of Epcot goes.

There also was a time where I'm sure people were scratching their heads at America Sings in Tomorrowland as well.
At least with Moana and America Sings, they aren’t tying a country’s culture with a property that takes place in America. I could see Baymax plushies in the store, but with how much they are trying to appeal to cultural sensitivity, putting Big Hero 6 in the Japan pavilion would be a big move against that, and I don’t think they would want to do that.

WondersOfLife

At least with Moana and America Sings, they aren’t tying a country’s culture with a property that takes place in America. I could see Baymax plushies in the store, but with how much they are trying to appeal to cultural sensitivity, putting Big Hero 6 in the Japan pavilion would be a big move against that, and I don’t think they would want to do that.
Unless of course they play it as a fictional city in a fictional America where immigrants moved to.. oh wait..

Also, who’s to say that the characters flat out don’t just GO to Japan to visit relatives or something.

Brer Oswald

Unless of course they play it as a fictional city in a fictional America where immigrants moved to.. oh wait..

Also, who’s to say that the characters flat out don’t just GO to Japan to visit relatives or something.
I’m not sure how the first point absolves them. If they had set it in Japan, we wouldn’t be having this conversation. But they set it in American. Doesn’t matter if it’s fictional or not, it isn’t Japan.

As for the characters visiting, what’s the point then? Only one is full Japanese decent. The protagonist is half. If we’re just picking random characters to go to Japan, why not pick some that are popular in Japan, like Duffy and Friends? Or, why not just create an experience that honours real Japan? It looks like a beautiful country, and I’m sure many “casual guests” would enjoy an experience that’s faithful to the country (especially since so many Westerners are enthralled with Japanese culture).

Inspired Figment

Honestly I don’t think adding characters for meet n greets for example that fit in with the theming are bad. Just as long as it isn’t totally compromising the authenticity of the pavilion at hand. There can be a fine balance. You used to see Disney characters show up for meets in unique clothing fitting to each country &/or pavilion. As long as it doesn’t effect the actual pavilion & attractions there.. I really have no issue with it.

WondersOfLife

I’m not sure how the first point absolves them. If they had set it in Japan, we wouldn’t be having this conversation. But they set it in American. Doesn’t matter if it’s fictional or not, it isn’t Japan.

As for the characters visiting, what’s the point then? Only one is full Japanese decent. The protagonist is half. If we’re just picking random characters to go to Japan, why not pick some that are popular in Japan, like Duffy and Friends? Or, why not just create an experience that honours real Japan? It looks like a beautiful country, and I’m sure many “casual guests” would enjoy an experience that’s faithful to the country (especially since so many Westerners are enthralled with Japanese culture).
I never said I trusted Disney to try and make sense. And I also never said it was a good idea. Don’t confuse my words!

Brer Oswald

I never said I trusted Disney to try and make sense. And I also never said it was a good idea. Don’t confuse my words!
You’re right. I just think it would be a foolish move given their current political stance on these topics. I don’t think they are that short sighted. Ratatouille may be an IP, but it’s set in France. They aren’t about to put an IP set in America, based on a comic written by Americans, into a pavilion representing a non-white culture.

If they’re really so desperate to milk the Baymax merch money that they’re willing to expose their whole motive of operation here, I wouldn’t know what to say. But again, I don’t think they are.

wazowski_216

To be 100% honest, I love the Morocco Pavilion and would absolutely LOVE to see a ride there. I want Magic Carpets or some type of Aladdin ride.

whiterhino42

I know it will never happen with Chapek but I wish we could get back to culturally relevant non IP stuff in world showcase. I liked the original ride so much better in Norway and the original iteration in Mexico as well. I'm not completely opposed to any IP in world showcase, but only if it truly fits in. I think Rattatouile fits in France but Frozen does NOT belong in Norway. I wouldn't however be opposed to Coco in Mexico since that movie was about a very culturally relevant holiday in Mexico. I would like non IP stuff too though.

Epcot was such a unique place and it's sad that it's being destroyed. Pretty soon it's going to look like Bush Gardens Virginia.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom