Morocco Pavilion facing financial troubles

LittleBuford

Actually converting Morocco to Moorish Spain would work better than Arabia. Not that I’d do it, just saying
It’s stylistically closer, but again would not be easy to pull off given that we’re dealing with recognisable imitations of actual Moroccan monuments. Besides, the last thing World Showcase needs is another European pavilion.

John Holden

Curiously, the original story is set in China, though nothing about it is Chinese.

Morocco is often considered to be part of the cultural Middle East, and certainly part of the Arab world, which straddles both Asia and Africa. (Egypt is most certainly in the Middle East, so it’s not really an issue of Africa vs. Asia.) I agree with you, however, that Morocco, being at the opposite end of the Arab world from the more easterly lands evoked by Agrabah, would be a bad fit for an Aladdin attraction.
Your point is well taken, however, placing Aladdin and Jasmine, the monkey & Jafar there would be an amazing draw even if they only had them in a kiosk in the back. And the public would not see the geographical problem. Morocco can be a good place if presented well.

John Holden

Given the current sociopolitical climate, I should think (hope) that someone would advise Disney of the many issues inherent in adding a full-fledged Aladdin attraction to a pavilion that bears very little resemblance to Agrabah.
The political ramifications to some would be enormous, but not for me. I would love to see Aladdin there as a character meet and greet.

Communicora

Premium Member
The political ramifications to some would be enormous, but not for me. I would love to see Aladdin there as a character meet and greet.
There was one. That is what started this whole derail.

Anyway, I don't know why we are discussing retheming Morocco to a different country. From what I've read the tourism board is still involved.

LittleBuford

Meet-and-greets have been happening there for years anyway. I believe it used to be both Aladdin and Jasmine, though the most recent information I can find mentions only the princess. Far more problematic would be the introduction of an actual Aladdin attraction.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
Besides multiple smaller elements, there are two hulking great structures—a minaret and a gateway—modelled closely on actual Moroccan monuments. They look very different from their Egyptian counterparts.
There are enough commonalities in the art and design (depending on era) that make the styles favor one another. Especially when one looks at similarities between Arabic, Ottoman and Mamluk-ish inspiration already incorporated into the Pavilion's design. A generalization maybe, but I think people sometimes get hung-up on Egypt (or Cairo) architecture thinking it's entire design is comprised on slab pillars and pyramids, when much like Morocco, it's a blend. And personally, I think there are enough commonalities that it could be adapted to a different region if needed.

LittleBuford

There are enough commonalities in the art and design (depending on era) that make the styles favor one another. Especially when one looks at the Arabic, Ottoman and Mamluk-ish inspiration already incorporated into the Pavilion's design. A generalization maybe, but I think people sometimes get hung-up on Egypt (or Cairo) architecture thinking it's entire design is comprised on slab pillars and pyramids, when much like Morocco, it's a blend. And personally, I think there are enough commonalities that it could be adapted into a different region if need be.
Forgive me, but you’re generalising and conflating. The commonalities are not greater than those between Italy and France, or Germany and the UK, and everyone seems to accept those as separate entities deserving of their own pavilions.

The most iconic landmark represented at the Morocco pavilion is the minaret of the is the Koutoubia Mosque, which was built before the Mamluk and Ottoman states even existed.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
Forgive me, but you’re generalising and conflating. The commonalities are not greater than those between Italy and France, or Germany and the UK, and everyone seems to accept those as separate entities deserving of their own pavilions.
Like Aladdin in Morocco. Disney's already established that commonalities alone are enough to justify anything as long as it's in the general vicinity design wise. Heck, the Pavilion could be Turkey if they so choose. I still say the Moroccan pavilion could be changed to Ciaro (or whatever) but if you feel otherwise so be it. We'll just agree to disagree and move on. My coffee's getting cold and I'd prefer to not start my day off arguing over the minutia of the Morocco Pavilion.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Your point is well taken, however, placing Aladdin and Jasmine, the monkey & Jafar there would be an amazing draw even if they only had them in a kiosk in the back. And the public would not see the geographical problem. Morocco can be a good place if presented well.

Aladdin, Jasmine, and Genie have already been appearing in Morocco (I post for the third time in this thread).

What would be different is an Aladdin *attraction* (show or ride).

And I'm completely stumped why armchair imagineers would want to convert Morocco to another country. Is there a Disney IP set in Moorish Spain? In Tunisia? Could you get away with Egypt without a pyramid or sphinx so that you can have an abbreviated Aida musical?

UNCgolf

And I'm completely stumped why armchair imagineers would want to convert Morocco to another country. Is there a Disney IP set in Moorish Spain? In Tunisia? Could you get away with Egypt without a pyramid or sphinx so that you can have an abbreviated Aida musical?

This was my thought when seeing Egypt mentioned.

Even ignoring that the architecture isn't an exact fit, there's no they'd want to do an Egypt without some specific ancient Egyptian monument (pyramid, sphinx, even an obelisk).

_caleb

There is a lot of opinion and speculation in your post but I won't knock it. I thank you for elaborating on @LittleBufford's behalf. I agree with most of what you're saying. The Morocco pavilion IS* visually nice but again, tweaking it to become a different country or region is doable. That's all I was stating. Shame they lost their sponsor. I guess with all things tied to IPs these days I just figured WDI would be looking to reworking the pavilion. And I'd much rather it be based on a real place vs a fictitious Agrabah, be that Egypt or otherwise. But it could just as easily stay Morocco. (and likely should)
Oh, everything I post here is opinion and speculation! I promise I’m not trying to debate you- I just enjoy the conversation.
Well, it sure seems like it as I read though this thread (and others like it). People suggest an “Africa” pavilion, or a “Arab world” pavilion.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
This was my thought when seeing Egypt mentioned.

Even ignoring that the architecture isn't an exact fit, there's no they'd want to do an Egypt without some specific ancient Egyptian monument (pyramid, sphinx, even an obelisk).

Imagineering has people that can make those things... and whatever else they need to turn Morocco into a different country if the need arises. Or better still, instead of putting the cart before the horse or shoehorning the Aladdin Spinner (as is the armchair fan favorite) they can just create an IP for Morocco and base whatever attraction they want on it. With the pavilion now owned by Disney nothings off limits. Unlike DAK, I don't think IPCOT cares so much about thematic integrity.

UNCgolf

Imagineering has people that can make those things... and whatever else they need to turn Morocco into a different country if the need arises. Or better still, instead of putting the cart before the horse or shoehorning the Aladdin Spinner (as is the armchair fan favorite) they can just create an IP for Morocco and base whatever attraction they want on it. With the pavilion now owned by Disney nothings off limits. Unlike DAK, I don't think IPCOT cares so much about thematic integrity.

Of course they do, but if you're going to do that much construction to change it into another country, it would probably be easier to just build a new Egypt pavilion instead of trying to figure out ways to shoehorn that stuff in to the existing space.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom