More WDI Layoffs Planned?

Tigger1988

wannab@dis said:
Right... and bashing Disney has a point!?!?! :rolleyes:

But when someone is pointing out that something is wrong with the company, parks, etc. its not bashing.

I really don't want to get myself involved in this whole thing, I don't want people coming after me. So I'm just going to leave it at that.

wannab@dis

imagineer boy said:
Good grief, since when this turn into the bash grizz thread? Wanab@dis, personally, I think Grizz really is the best person to run the company. And ofcorse Grizz posts about how things are bad. Because they really are! You just don't want to listen. Simple as that.

I listen to anyone that rationally explains their points. Speculation and conjecture is not a proper avenue. I'm not "Bashing" Grizz... I'm taking his opinion to task and pointing out that there are always other sides to any story. Of course, it's easy to dismiss those points as bashing or attacking. It's much harder to stand behind your opinion and make sound and logical responses.

This is yet another thread that will disolve into a vocal few that thinks everything at the Mouse's House is falling apart. Been there... done that... and it's not happened yet.

speck76

Tigger1988 said:
But when someone is pointing out that something is wrong with the company, parks, etc. its not bashing.

I really don't want to get myself involved in this whole thing, I don't want people coming after me. So I'm just going to leave it at that.

but how does Grizz know that these layoffs (if they even occured) are a bad thing?

wannab@dis

Tigger1988 said:

Tell you what... start another thread and link it here. Point out all the things that YOU think are wrong. I'll agree or disagree point by point. According to some, there's nothing RIGHT at Disney. Makes me wonder why some are such fans if there are so many problems. Sure, there are issues that need to be worked on, but there is a LOT of good going on and it's always overshadowed around here by the nitpickers. If you think something is wrong, that doesn't necessarily mean it's true. If someone doesn't agree and tries to point it out, then don't go and accuse them of attacking you.

Tigger1988

wannab@dis said:
Tell you what... start another thread and link it here. Point out all the things that YOU think are wrong. I'll agree or disagree point by point. According to some, there's nothing RIGHT at Disney. Makes me wonder why some are such fans if there are so many problems. Sure, there are issues that need to be worked on, but there is a LOT of good going on and it's always overshadowed around here by the nitpickers. If you think something is wrong, that doesn't necessarily mean it's true. If someone doesn't agree and tries to point it out, then don't go and accuse them of attacking you.

I'm not one of those who says everything is wrong with Disney, and I feel no need to go into detail about what I believe is wrong, no need to push my thoughts on others.

One thing I will say, Disney needs to stop making sequels to every Classic film. Coming soon are Fox and the Hound 2, Little Mermaid 3 and other various films.
http://www.imdb.com/company/co0092035/

wannab@dis

Tigger1988 said:
I'm not one of those who says everything is wrong with Disney, and I feel no need to go into detail about what I believe is wrong, no need to push my thoughts on others.

One thing I will say, Disney needs to stop making sequels to every Classic film. Coming soon are Fox and the Hound 2, Little Mermaid 3 and other various films.
http://www.imdb.com/company/co0092035/

No bashing intended... just my take on your post.

If you don't like the sequals, don't buy them. I'm not saying that to be mean, but your lack of spending sends a message. However, it takes LOTS of people sending that message to be effective. The truth of the matter is that MANY people buy them and that brings revenue into the company. The way for the sequals to end is for the consumers to vote with their purchasing power. So far, that purchasing power has voted to bring as many sequals to market as possible.

Now, I will have to say that at some point, they will run out of "classics" for which to make sequals if they don't bring out new ones. Then they will be have problems keeping revenue streams coming in. They do need to keep the good original movies coming to market so the high return sequals can also be made.

Connor002

1. Little Mermaid III (2008) (V) ... Production Company
  2. Aristocats II (2007) (V) ... Production Company
  3. Cinderella III (2007) (V) ... Production Company
  4. Fox and the Hound II (2006) (V) ... Production Company
  5. Brother Bear II (2006) (V) ... Production Company
  6. Bambi II (2006) (V) ... Production Company
  7. Pooh's Heffalump Halloween Movie (2005) (V) ... Production Company
  8. Lilo & Stitch 2: Stitch Has a Glitch (2005) (V) ... Production Company
  9. Pooh's Heffalump Movie (2005) ... Production Company
  10. Mickey's Twice Upon a Christmas (2004) (V) ... Production Company
  11. Mickey, Donald, Goofy: The Three Musketeers (2004) (V) ... Production Company
  12. The Lion King 1½ (2004) (V) ... Production Company
  13. The Jungle Book 2 (2003) ... Production Company
  14. Return to Never Land (2002) ... Production Company
Oh, God NO!

Why! Why?

Who keeps green-lighting these sequels?

Brother Bear wasn't even that good of a movie!

Leave my Fox and the Hound alone! I love that movie! Stop! Stop! NO MORE! STOP! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO................

:cry:

Tigger1988

Connor002 said:
Brother Bear wasn't even that good of a movie!

Leave my Fox and the Hound alone! I love that movie! Stop! Stop! NO MORE! STOP! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO................

Took the words right outta my mouth..plus if the sequel wasn't all that good why make a 3rd!!?! (Yes I know people for some odd reason actually shell out 20 bucks to buy these sad excuses for films)

I am really upset their touching the Fox and the Hound...one of my all time faves, just let it be

Woody13 said:
IMO, many of these "Disney Imagineers" have been put on pedestals that they don't deserve. WDI gave us "Lucky the Dinosaur" for just one example and that was terrible! I'd rather have "PUSH" any day of the week! The Walt Disney Company is moving in the right direction.

Your kidding me right? You think "Push" is better then "Lucky"? A trashcan over a dinosaur? :drevil:

MrNonacho

Premium Member
InsideOtherPark said:
Your kidding me right? You think "Push" is better then "Lucky"? A trashcan over a dinosaur? :drevil:

As amazing as Lucky is, I have been entertained far more by Push and Wes Palm.

imagineer boy

speck76 said:
are you high?

Excuse you, that was uncalled for. Grizz only wants whats best for Disney like us all. Its not like he's a Disney basher, he simply points out things that can be improved upon. You'd be surprised of how much of a little thing can affect the whole company. No "Tip for Today", the whole recent trip to Disney felt a little different because it wasn't there.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Luckey was "meh" i like Push better too. Sometimes technology isn't grand on its own - something i feel the current slate of imagineers don't recognize.

General Grizz

Original Poster
mousermerf said:
Luckey was "meh" i like Push better too. Sometimes technology isn't grand on its own - something i feel the current slate of imagineers don't recognize.
Take Mission Space... the attraction is based on technology. In ten years, will other theme parks grasp that technology, leaving Mission Space to end up like Body Wars? Outside of technology (sensation), there is not much to the attraction in my opinion.

Is this the fault of the Imagineers?

No... because you have to consider that their grand ideas called for a much more elaborate space pavilion, one that catered to more diverse audiences with different mediums that probably featured a more advanced and immersive story. But like many projects, the budget was shot down.

Trust me - those who worked on DCA KNEW its problems. They KNEW the problems of JII 2.0. All to often, people blame the storymen for attraction, but in most cases, there is just nothing they can do if they are looking to keep a secure job.

WDI today is now driven by fear (some insiders can't even believe Bruce Gordon was laid off!), and sometimes the most talented people are let go of, who would really have things going a different way if it were their choice.

By the way, let's all be polite to each other.

speck76

imagineer boy said:
Excuse you, that was uncalled for. Grizz only wants whats best for Disney like us all. Its not like he's a Disney basher, he simply points out things that can be improved upon. You'd be surprised of how much of a little thing can affect the whole company. No "Tip for Today", the whole recent trip to Disney felt a little different because it wasn't there.

get over it.

Grizz wants what is best for HIM.....what is best for Disney is not part of his equation.....if it was, he would take time to examine and understand their moves, instead of just complaining about them.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Budget does not provide story - talent does.

I can write a crappy script for 5 grand or i can write a good script. (5 grand be an arbitrary number plucked from the air)

People who know what they're doing and who are talented don't overspend in the wrong areas, which has been seen several times in current imagineering. They spent too much on Stitch the animatronic and the cannon arms. They spent too much on the lighting FX in JIYI. They spent too much on the ride system for SPACE.

wannab@dis

imagineer boy said:

That is a perfect example of my points all along. The focus on minutia does no good. The loss of the "Tip for Today" is not hindering the success of the company. In fact, the opposite is true. Fresh and new things are important to the success of any business. Growth does not come from stagnancy.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
I just wanted to add that "de-scoping" has been around since Imagineering's beginning. Horizon's sets were laid out so that they had 2 or 3 sides that the vehicles passed to cut down on budget and the final sections of the World of Motion were projections due to budget constraints. It's a difference between knowing how to not make it look cheap and not having such skills.

General Grizz

Original Poster
speck76 said:
get over it.

Grizz wants what is best for HIM.....what is best for Disney is not part of his equation.....if it was, he would take time to examine and understand their moves, instead of just complaining about them.

While I disagree with your last statement and don't appreciate your unpleasant nature and attack-mode mood on these forums, you did provide me with a good idea. . .

I will examine what is best for me and take a nice vacation.

Success will come when the quality "outs," friends.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom