More WDI Layoffs Planned?

General Grizz

Original Poster
speck76 said:
regardless.....creative people are only effective for so long (I believe you once made a comment like this about Eisner)....perhaps his ideas no longer fit the direction that the company needs to take.
His Nemo sub ride project obviously hadn't faded...

BTW, I quoted Eisner saying how CEOs should be replaced every 10 years, not my words. If a person has great ideas and a great knowledge of the company (enough to write popular book upon popular book), I don't think it would be in the best interest of the Company to lay him or her off.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I just hope there is more to this than meets the eye. WDI is a world famous, world leading company when given the appropiate backing. Others have tried, some have come close, but WDI IS the standard. No, there is not much left, or not as much as there used to be, and outsourcing happens all the time (WED grew by two and half thousand for EPCOT Centers construction, then shrunk again) but really...

The day Marty goes that`ll be it. Primeval Whirl all round.

General Grizz

Original Poster
By the way, this was not an isolated incident. Apparently, several other Imagineers were laid off at the same time, and the political war inside WDI is continuing.

It seems as though Bruce was let go of for "not having a project," even though he was removed from working on the Nemo Subs ride, TDS Toon Studios, and an unspecified WDW "E-Ticket" a while back.

Also, several sources report that *weekly* layoffs of various levels of Imagineering have occurred from May through the summer. At some points, half a dozen Imagineers were reportedly laid off weekly to avoid press coverage of a "mass layoff."

Also, last week Feature Animation let go Musker & Clements.

wannab@dis

I would really like more information on this before making a call as to whether it's the end of the 'World' or not.

Put together a graph so we can truly analyze the situation without hyperbole, conjecture and emotions. Show 3 lines on the graph. The first is the WDI (WED) employment numbers from the 50's to present. Label each marked increase/decrease with project names or important timeline items. The second line is an earnings amount. Again, label anomalies with major items such as new parks, movies, purchases and other major timeline items.
The third line should be an average earnings for DJIA companies.

Once we have a better overall picture, then maybe we can applaud or question management decisions. Until then, let's assume they have more facts that we do.

jrriddle

Some questions:
Does Marty Sklar really have any "real" power at the company anymore?
What about the new Shanghai DL? Might it just end up being a clone of HKDL?
I've read that this idea came down from Iger, any truth to this?

General Grizz

Original Poster
wannab@dis said:
I would really like more information on this before making a call as to whether it's the end of the 'World' or not.

Put together a graph so we can truly analyze the situation without hyperbole, conjecture and emotions. Show 3 lines on the graph. The first is the WDI (WED) employment numbers from the 50's to present. Label each marked increase/decrease with project names or important timeline items. The second line is an earnings amount. Again, label anomalies with major items such as new parks, movies, purchases and other major timeline items.
The third line should be an average earnings for DJIA companies.

Once we have a better overall picture, then maybe we can applaud or question management decisions. Until then, let's assume they have more facts that we do.
The graph is not neccesary to prove the point.

Although cyclical layoffs have occured after mass expansion and contraction, Walt Disney created WED Enterprises to be a powerful, creative force that proactively planned the future of his magical kingdoms.

These men and women were behind Disneyland, The Magic Kingdom in Walt Disney World, Epcot Center, and all of the theme parks to follow. Innovative ride systems, creative and immersive environments, and top-notch E-Tickets, like Splash Mountain the Tower of Terror, were all devised by these men and women when a sense of job security and funding allowed them to think outside the box.

Fast-forward to 2003, when Stitch's Great Escape was being designed. Originally given a budget of 25 million, the Imagineers had great plans for replacing the Alien Encounter. However, Disney eyed an outside company that could produce the ride themselves. (Keep in mind that those working outside the company don't have nearly as good of an instilled understanding of Walt Disney's legacies and quality showmanship). Walt Disney Imagineering had to fight to keep the project, and a budget war ensued. What we ended up with was a Walt Disney Imagineering driven by fear - and a lame ride with less than half the original budget.

Without fighting for it, Walt Disney Imagineering would not have contributed in designing Disney's California Adventure. That park's designers were almost outsourced.

The key here is that many creative designers and craftsmen who are behind the magic of the E-Tickets are losing power in competition with outside companies. Many predict that these layoffs (sooner than expected) are in fact very abnormal - mainly because the future replacements aren't necessarily long-term Imagineers. Rather, more per-project teams will be hired to cut costs.

And clearly, when you see a successful Expedition Everest next year, it won't mean Imagineering is in good hands again -- that team may soon be laid off (as the project has gone slightly 'over budget.') But that is a rumor, and time may or may not prove it. We'll see.

wannab@dis

General Grizz said:
The graph is not neccesary to prove the point.

You can't prove a point with conjecture. I'm sure with a little searching, I can find previous posts like your's above from 2, 3 or even 4 years ago. E-Tickets have and will continue to be built and bring the magic of Disney to guests. New and better technology will continue to be utilized to continue to create magic for years to come.

Your post above was entirely based on SGE. One attraction out of several in the past few years that didn't meet the expectations of most fans or the general public. In fact, I bet that the 'run of the mill' guest at the MK does not consider SGE the great dissapointment that many hard core fans think.

uklad79

When Walt set up WED there was no one doing what it was doing so he had no choice but to set it up. Now theme parks have evolved and many companies supply the same services that Imaginering do. They can create new ride systems, build one off rides just for Disney. WED created lots of great models and concept drawings for rides that were never built because what else could they do while on the payroll but not actually doing work on anything that had been green lighted for a park. They did lots of work that went nowhere which a modern company with shareholders can not justify so therefore if there is no park/ride/area rehab then they are laid off. Its a shame for them and a loss of creative talant for Disney it doesnt mean there work wont been seen in a Disney Park because they will go and work for a company that will contract to Disney. Disney doesnt have a monoply on creative themepark talent it's just that they spend more money than the competition, and if these big budgets are still used for rides the outside companies with the talent they have will create ideas to rival Disneys. SGE and DCA are not very good because of outside talent, its due to poor budgets.

Magicot

I really am getting tired of so many people putting SGE down. I don't think that this attraction is 'garbage' or really a 'huge dissapointment' when it comes to disney attractions. The theming everywhere on this ride is futuristic, entertaining, and detailed - even down to the intergalactic language found everywhere that can be translated into english. The animatronic stitch is so impressive and technologically advanced that it really shows the lengths that they went to on this attraction. My whole family really enjoys this one much more than alien encounter because the whole family can see it an enjoy it together. Both times that I have been on it (dec 04) (may 05) the crowd was laughing and screeching. People say that there is no storyline but I really find that the pre-show and chambers create a great story for all to understand. I just don't see how this ride can be put down so much for the amount of creativity that was put into it. This ride is not thrown together just to promote a character.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
SGE is mainly put down due to the politics involved in it`s creation, because it replaced a unique, risky (for Disney) and successful attraction, and how a large chunk of the overall theme of New Tomorrowland was ruined. Had it been built in Fantasyland (obviously without the future themeing) it would probably make a nice D Ticket.

wcox377492

With the rumored development of a Signapore park, along with the repeated statemetns of increased investment (hopefully development) in the existing parks I'd think we'd see continued development for some time. Unless of course the plan is for increased ride clones for the forseeable future.

Woody13

Actually this is not at all a bad thing. Look here for the history of WDI. I would prefer to see all these Imagineers off the Disney payroll. Imagineering is a prime example of Disney jobs that can and should be outsourced. The bottom line is that it will save money and at the same time improve quality. Walt knew that way back in 1952!

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
While numbers may have been bloated during the heyday...just as with animation, it sure isn't the case now.

And while outsourcing can be a viable business approach, you can't maintain an understanding of "Disney Imagineering" from a proposal or spec sheet. There is a certain need for continuity of theme, design, vision...that is what is at risk of being lost.

And if that is lost, than a resort will be a Marriott instead of Polynesian. Expedition everest would be Dueling Dragons, and we'll put another Primeval Whirl in Germany and call it Autobahn.

General Grizz

Original Poster
ClemsonTigger said:
While numbers may have been bloated during the heyday...just as with animation, it sure isn't the case now.

And while outsourcing can be a viable business approach, you can't maintain an understanding of "Disney Imagineering" from a proposal or spec sheet. There is a certain need for continuity of theme, design, vision...that is what is at risk of being lost.

And if that is lost, than a resort will be a Marriott instead of Polynesian. Expedition everest would be Dueling Dragons, and we'll put another Primeval Whirl in Germany and call it Autobahn.
Yes, Clemson, this seems very much to be what happened at Animation from people I talked to this afternoon. People within and outside the Company with good knowledge are apparently EXTREMELY shocked. . . but some saw this coming.

Woody13

ClemsonTigger said:
I really disagree with that idea. As an example, Pixar is not part of Disney and look at the tremendous success that Disney, Pixar and the public has had from that association. Keeping R&D people on the regular Disney payroll is a big mistake. IMO, many of these "Disney Imagineers" have been put on pedestals that they don't deserve. WDI gave us "Lucky the Dinosaur" for just one example and that was terrible! I'd rather have "PUSH" any day of the week! The Walt Disney Company is moving in the right direction.

General Grizz

Original Poster
So you also agree, Woody, that the Walt Disney Company made an excellent decision to fire the thousand of Animation employees and stick to 3-D art only (for theatrical releases)?

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
Woody13 said:
I really disagree with that idea. As an example, Pixar is not part of Disney and look at the tremendous success that Disney, Pixar and the public has had from that association. Keeping R&D people on the regular Disney payroll is a big mistake. IMO, many of these "Disney Imagineers" have been put on pedestals that they don't deserve. WDI gave us "Lucky the Dinosaur" for just one example and that was terrible! I'd rather have "PUSH" any day of the week! The Walt Disney Company is moving in the right direction.

Woody, while I agree that new blood can add to the process, even with your example of Pixar...there are key personnel associated with all of the films to date. Even thought there may be totally new teams, there is still a "Pixar approach"

Just as there is a fundamentally different approach/look to Dreamworks animation...which is probably more individually contracted...still, withoout having them identified as such, I'm sure you could pick them out.

My greater concern is with the parks. While any competent engineering group can build a ride, building and integrating a Disney attraction is something else. And while I agree that as of late, the weak excuses of Primeval Whirl, Stitch, and DCA and some others don't demonstrate what we might expect from imagineers, it may be more to meddling and dilution from the management side rather than stale imagineering.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom