More Marvel at Disney World? Maybe?

Will we start seeing more Marvel characters on Disney Property?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GLaDOS

Let them keep all rights to Spider Man in exchange for the other Marvel characters.

Why would Universal even contemplate taking that deal? "Let them keep Spider-man" when it already doesn't matter what Disney wants to "let them keep" since they already have all the characters to begin with.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Why would Universal even contemplate taking that deal? "Let them keep Spider-man" when it already doesn't matter what Disney wants to "let them keep" since they already have all the characters to begin with.

If Disney could strike a deal with Uni that allows Uni to retain all rights (merchandise, movie, theme park, etc) to Spiderman and Spidy associated villains, etc. while giving up all other rights to Marvel Characters (removing them from Uni parks, etc) I think it would be a huge move for Disney. Spider Man is a stand alone character for the most part, and it would be easy to do. Disney could then move forward with whatever they wanted to do free from this legal manouvering.

SleepingMonk

So Disney pays for the marketing, advertising and production.

People see it in the Disney park and wonder how they can ride with the Hulk or meet Cap and Thor.

So they book a two night stay and park hopper at Universal.

Yeah....Disney really won that one!

:lol:

GLaDOS

If Disney could strike a deal with Uni that allows Uni to retain all rights (merchandise, movie, theme park, etc) to Spiderman and Spidy associated villains, etc. while giving up all other rights to Marvel Characters (removing them from Uni parks, etc) I think it would be a huge move for Disney. Spider Man is a stand alone character for the most part, and it would be easy to do. Disney could then move forward with whatever they wanted to do free from this legal manouvering.

Yea, I get what you're trying to say. It just doesn't make any sense for Universal to accept such a deal.

lazyboy97o

Unlike the deal with Sony, there is little that Disney has in the way of leverage, such as a pending idleness clause, renewal or expiration. Universal could still ask for any sum of money. I do not even see how, when in arbitration, Disney further "pushing the limits" could work as anything but assistance to Universal, as it would show that Disney was deliberately trying to deny Universal their legally agreed to exclusivity.

Disday

I was wondering why they couldn't create a new deal to let Universal keep what they have, but also allow Disney to use the characters in their own parks. I'm sure there would probably be anti-trust issues, but I don't think Disney would mind their characters being promoted in more than one major Florida park. - I think that Spider-Man is a fun ride, it's my favorite at IOA. It's the Marvel Island section I have a problem with. It all looks so two dimensional. I mean their theming for Hulk coaster is green paint? The other rides are basically carnival rides with cut outs of characters. I think that Imagineering could make a much more immersive environment.:)

lazyboy97o

I was wondering why they couldn't create a new deal to let Universal keep what they have, but also allow Disney to use the characters in their own parks. I'm sure there would probably be anti-trust issues, but I don't think Disney would mind their characters being promoted in more than one major Florida park. - I think that Spider-Man is a fun ride, it's my favorite at IOA. It's the Marvel Island section I have a problem with. It all looks so two dimensional. I mean their theming for Hulk coaster is green paint? The other rides are basically carnival rides with cut outs of characters. I think that Imagineering could make a much more immersive environment.:)
They could, but why would Universal want to make a new deal? Marvel is worth much more now than the pittance Universal is likely paying.

Jimmy Thick

Original Poster
Two things:

Everybody understands that there is a contract regulating Marvel property rights. This is not the issue. The issue is the question how Disney views the limitations of this contract. The questions are if it seeks to try to test the limits of their rights, if it seeks to encroach on Universal's turf, what its strategy is regarding Marvel in Orlando.

The 'Thick Camp' - which doesn't exist - is made up of people arguing that Disney will try to test the legal limits of the contract not because we want Disney to. But because we think it is. Some root for Disney, some for Universal, some for neither. Some wish for, some wish against Marvel in Disney parks.

:shrug:

Jimmy Thick - You are all just jealous only Thick can hold his own next to The Hulk

Brilliant, and totally on the mark.

On the Jimmy Thick quality scale of:

Is this post better than Bon Jovi? Reading it old Jimmy has to say, yes, yes it is.

Jimmy Thick-Thick Camp? Yes!!! We are waving banners and sharpening swords like feudal warriors defending our fief...

GLaDOS

The Marvel section is supposed to feel 2-D. You're supposed to be inside a comic book. And it does one hell of a job at doing that. All the small details and shout outs to Marvel properties are fantastic. One of my top lands in Orlando.

And why would Universal even consider allowing Disney to use the characters? What benefit is that to them? It dilutes their drawing power.

This year is Spider Man's 50th anniversary. Disney has a new cartoon coming out, a new movie, a big story arc in the comics, etc. Never give up your flagship property!

Disney has nothing to do with the new movie. That's a Sony production.

Jimmy Thick

Original Poster
Let them keep all rights to Spider Man in exchange for the other Marvel characters.

This is another example of what Disney's lawyers could pull off if so inclined, or even letting Universal keep what they already have made attractions for, Disney could take the rest and Iam sure work with it rather splendidly.

Sheesh, that sounded rather Sir Topham Hattish...

Jimmy Thick-Thomas, your replacing the Avengers monorail today...

Jimmy Thick

Original Poster

Money.

One week from now, 3 years from now something could possibly happen where Universal could need an infusion of cash, guess what they could get rid of for a nice chunk of change?

And then again they may not need it.

But Disney has it over their heads no matter what, just like a Avengers monorail circling the grounds when it was once thought not possible.

Jimmy Thick-And people still want to think Disney does not know what they are doing?

Disday

I think that what Marvel would rather have, is for the characters to be brought out into the 3 dimensional 'real world' like the studio has been trying to flesh out. Also, I have read that Marvel had an emergency plan to change the island to D.C., changing the Spider-Man ride to Superman, the Hulk coaster to Green Lantern, you get the idea. I think I would enjoy that land more if they did that. Superman is still my favorite super hero. It should be pointed out that D.C. Universal shirts and merch. are sold at their parks. That's not a rumor, it just makes you wonder.:)

GLaDOS

I think that what Marvel would rather have, is for the characters to be brought out into the 3 dimensional 'real world' like the studio has been trying to flesh out. Also, I have read that Marvel had an emergency plan to change the island to D.C., changing the Spider-Man ride to Superman, the Hulk coaster to Green Lantern, you get the idea. I think I would enjoy that land more if they did that. Superman is still my favorite super hero. It should be pointed out that D.C. Universal shirts and merch. are sold at their parks. That's not a rumor, it just makes you wonder.:)

No. The original plan for IoA had "Gotham Island" where Marvel Superhero Island now stands. The entire thing would have been Batman themed. But there was a snag in securing the rights, and Universal moved on to Marvel. There has not been a plan to change Marvel to DC.

maxairmike

If the investors are getting anxious about the current cap-ex creating physical attractions and experiences, do you really think they'll approve of the kind of cash that would have to be dropped on Universal just to get back the right to build an attraction at one resort? We're talking about dropping as much or more than a new "ground breaking" attraction before they even begin to talk about the actual physical experiences. I don't think that would sit well with the investors right now. This is a complication for one single Disney destination, and one only. Sure, it's their "biggest," but it's just one. And the possibility for some horrible brand confusion with the resort up the highway is gigantic. People aren't going to say "Oh, all the Marvel stuff is at Disney" and be done with it. People think Harry Potter is at Disney, still! There's already some brand confusion just with the merchandise being available that is easily observed as a guest.

This is a very complicated issue, and for now (and the foreseeable future) the answer is and remains "due to the contract, it isn't happening." If you think Universal is "backing away" from Disney on the monorail issue, you're not paying attention.

If anyone has a lead on a somewhat solid number for what Universal paid for the Marvel contract, I'd appreciate a tip. I've scoured a few databases and can't find a number for just Marvel. I remember the talk being $2 billion, but that number appears to be related to the entire IOA park, and not just the Marvel contract. I do remember it was a rather large cash infusion to Marvel at the time, though (mid to late 90s), and a relative steal for Universal/MCA. I'm starting to get the feeling it would be somewhere around or north of about $100 million, but that's just my personal thought after thinking and reading through some articles and databases.

SleepingMonk

TDO genius!

"Look Mommy, Hulk, Cap, Thor....I want to see them!"

"We will little Jimmy, we cancelled our last two nights at Disney and are going to Universal Studios."

350x467px-LL-509f9df8_photo2.jpeg

maxairmike

"Look Mommy, Hulk, Cap, Thor....I want to see them!"

"We will little Jimmy, we cancelled our last two nights at Disney and are going to Universal Studios."

TDO genius!

Which is why part of me is surprised they did it at all in such a big way. Yes, it's marketing for the film, but this is going to be a major brand confusion issue, I think. It seems a lot of guests have a hard enough time figuring out which Studios park is Disney or Universal, or if Disney owns them both. Now there's a Disney film with characters that have been associated with Universal parks for over 10 years being advertised in a Disney park resort area in a very visible and noticeable way...

If I'm in marketing, I'm losing a lot of sleep over brand confusion issues right now.

Again, my personal take, but also after working in marketing during a branding switchover period.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom