More Disney Villains?

WDW Newsletter

Original Poster
I would like to see Disney market its Villains much more. I think Disney is missing the boat pertaining to the Disney Villains, and the appeal that they would have. Think about it, Disney does a great job marketing everything toward the positive characters from each story or movie. But where would the movie or story be without its villain? One could argue that the bad guy/girl makes the story what it is.

Presently there is one store, Villains in Vogue, in Disney’s Hollywood Studios that caters to the villains, by selling merchandise of various bad guys. For some reason people have always liked the bad guys, maybe it is a way to rebel, I am not sure.

The Disney marketing merchandise machine seems geared like this- loveable characters such as Mickey, Pooh and friends to toddlers, classic characters such as Mickey, Donald, and the seven dwarfs to adults and Hannah Montana to the tweens. I am a middle school teacher and can attest that many tweens do not like the Hannah Montana type shows. They are too cool for the toddler characters, but don’t want to be walking around in a Mickey Mouse T-shirt like their dad. Kids of this age are beginning to try to rebel a bit and experience some independence and here is where the villain market is.

The Disney Villains provide a nice combination for certain tweens. They get to wear a cartoon character on their chest, but it is a “cool” character to them, not some childish one. You may not think this is true, but I can verify after asking quite a few of my tween age students who like Disney. They want something they can identify with. I think Pirates of the Caribbean was an option, but not necessarily for girls.

The good thing about marketing the villains is that there are both boy and girl villains that kids can associate with. Think about having a roller coaster for grown-ups featuring Jafar, Maleficent, and Ursula. What about a tame dark ride for youngsters featuring Cruella De Vil, Captain Hook, and Syndrome? They could have a character meal using various characters set in a darker dungeon type building, but still mild enough as to not scare the younger children.

Just think of all of the Disney movies and the villains for each movie. This is such an untapped resource that I think Disney is missing the boat. The options seem limitless to me, what are your thoughts?

I think that is a great idea to market villians more. What comes to mind is Cinderella's stepsisters. They took a comic approach to them and it was really funny. Not scary but something new and different. We would love a character breakfast with the "bad guys" lol. Good thinking!!

Mia319

i agree. i'm always looking for villains merch.

i want to find a scar t-shirt so bad for my husband... he is always saying, "what, scar is a good guy, he's jut trying to help simba out?!" :ROFLOL:

DivineMadness7

i agree. i'm always looking for villains merch.

i want to find a scar t-shirt so bad for my husband... he is always saying, "what, scar is a good guy, he's jut trying to help simba out?!" :ROFLOL:

You might wanna try www.disneyshopping.com/design You can design your own t-shirt and there are just TONS of character options. There's a whole Lion King section. I just pulled it up quickly and I'm seeing five different Scar designs.

I know it isn't the same as buying it in the park, but sometimes it's tough to find the character you want in the park. I ordered a Gonzo shirt from there last December and I love it. Great quality and reasonably priced, starting at around $17. Hope this helps!

Also, you can even put your own caption on the shirt. It might be funny to put the picture of Scar along with the "What? Scar is a good guy, he's just trying to help Simba out?!" on it! You may not be able to fit the entire thing, but you could get creative and edit it down a bit. We did this for a friend last year and put an inside joke on his shirt. He got SUCH a kick out of it.

PeoplemoverTTA

It's a shame, because Villains in Vogue in DHS used to actually sell villains items. Unfortunately, in recent times it has become an NBC/POTC store instead - very disappointing (although to be fair, on my last trip there was still one shelf with a few villains items).

yankspy

I am a villains kind of guy as well. It is a shame that the store in DHS has not come out with more merchandise. My favorite coffee mug is from there. I wonder if they do not market them more on purpose. Does it mess with that "good guy always wins" disney image?

Chernabogfan

Well, as you can see by my moniker, you know where I fall on this side of the debate. I'm always on the lookour for Chernabog themed stuff. I think I own just about every shirt but the lions share of the Chernabog stuff seems to be contained to trading pins. C'est la vie...

Gooch

I always thought so, too. You don't really see villains from the more recent (10-15 yrs) at the parks. I always wanted a Scar shirt as a kid and never found one.

WildLodgeFan

I'm with you on this, except I love POTC, but then I'm not a tween any more - LOL!

My husband is a big fan of Shere Khan, so I'm always on the look out for stuff. It took me ten years to find a stuffed version and I bought it the minute I seen it and he currently resides on top of the TV in our room!

The Villian show at the Halloween Party is definitely one of the things I am looking forward to, but I wish they wouldn't just keep them for the Halloween season.

I think rather than a Villain's park all by itself - it would be fun to have a street in DHS dedicated to the Villains, like Villians Avenue or something. Couldn't you imagine some fun rides along that theme. What would be your ideas for such a place? I think an Ursula octopus style ride would be fun for the younger set and heck, I style like riding the Octopus at our local theme park.

plaz10

I AGREE on a disney villains park
or even their own land in MK.

Villian Village would be an excellent name

I've thought this through...

tiaragirl

The suggested character dining would be FABULOUS. Anytime you see the Queen or Maleficent on site they're fabulous. I don't imagine eating with them would be good for your self esteem, but I'd definitely shell out the $$$ for a buffet and some solid villany before supper time!

DisneyNut2007

It's a shame, because Villains in Vogue in DHS used to actually sell villains items. Unfortunately, in recent times it has become an NBC/POTC store instead - very disappointing (although to be fair, on my last trip there was still one shelf with a few villains items).

Actually, a lot of villain items are still sold in that store, not just on one shelf.

_Scar

From a highschooler's perspective,

Miley Cyrus is becoming more popular, very popular
NBC is very "in" (but only to those dark and sinister people, bad stereotype)
So is Alice in Wonderland
Wall-E is very, very popular (a lot of people reference it to the future too... then talk about his cuteness)

that's about all I notice with Disney from my high school... and no one really wears any Disney stuff unless it's NBC.

MarkTwain

I think you're in the minority on this one.... but so am I about Ratatouille being so so great. :lookaroun:lol:

No way, it's one of my favorite movies of all time! The animation, music, and story are masterful.

Or wait a minute - are you saying it's not so great? Because then I would completely disagree with you...

disneynut4u

A few years ago, I KNOW I saw a meal featuring villains. I was dying to attend this, but just my luck, they stopped this before we got there. I LOVE the villains. I bought Maleficent's Halloween costume 2 years ago, and I bring it every Halloween. My sister says I'm turning in to Cruella, so I need to dye my hair to cover it! So, bring on the evil queens, witches, etc. I'll stand in line for them!!! :goodnevil

_Scar

No way, it's one of my favorite movies of all time! The animation, music, and story are masterful.

Or wait a minute - are you saying it's not so great? Because then I would completely disagree with you...

Oh no, it's one of my favorite Pixar films along with Nemo and Up. I LOVE it... but its been trashed before here. :(

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom