More Disney Fun with Social Media (pics included!)

flynnibus

Premium Member
The point is that when you work for Disney and are paid by Disney, you don't get to have just any public opinion about the company that you want. Let's agree on that, OK?

Working for and simply getting paid by... Not really the same thing. But what does it matter.. If Disney doesn't like your actions they won't do business with you - that's all that really matters. Disney, like all other companies, is not obligated to give everyone equal access.

maxairmike

I'm talking about social media in general. This is just a small blip in that pond ... and even you admit you're looking for free exposure. Would you like a free trip too? Room at the Grand Flo? How about a nice dinner at Citricos ... and you must try Be Our Guest! Everyone seems to want in on the social media gravy train. How many posters on this site alone have other blogs or are tied to Disney related travel agencies?

It used to be so simple to be a fan online. You went to a Disney site or sites and talked (or argued) with other fans ... but there were no personal business implications for it. Now ... it's anything goes to get the eye/attention of the Celebration Place Social Media Cabal.

Except I don't need a free trip, free boarding, or even a free dinner (feel free to guess why, although I almost never turn down free food!), and I do more than Disney photography, its just that WDW is a convenient and almost inexhaustible subject and Disney picking up on my photography...that's probably the best I could do outside of getting in NatGeo/Time/etc. If I want the "attention" of Celebration Place, its purely for possible career implications and to maybe start making some money to support a hobby I love. As for the crop analogy/phrase, I meant it in that you seem to throw all of social media, Disney and everyone else, under the bus just because of your problems with Disney social media in particular.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I also wanted to repost this link here as I mentioned it in a thread remembering a friend who worked for Disney's Press Department who was a class act all around who sadly died last week. I had lost touch with him in the last 3-4 years and didn't even realize he was still with them.

But in it, he quite pointedly showed some of the problems bloggers bring ('tudes included) and explained that they are not media whether they believe they are or not.

I feel terrible that a good man is gone, and I also feel bad for not reconnecting with him and discussing this issue in person. But the interview is quite illuminating.

http://tapmag.com/2012/01/05/the-dave-herbst-interview-an-analysis-of-blogging-social-media-and-standards/

Bolna

No time to respond to others, right now ... but came across this earlier ... interesting read.

http://www.ragan.com/Main/Articles/45796.aspx

Interesting read, thanks for posting this!

I had to smile when I read:
"People connect with people," he said. "Not brands or logos."
As it seemed to take a another discussion somewhere else until the Disney Parks Blog started to actually interact with people in the comments and gave the bloggers more of a personality...

And then Thomas Smith more or less admits that the "tweeting with the fanboys" is - just as you always claim - only about making them feel special:
"Everything we say will not be remembered, but how we make you feel will last," Smith said. That feeling could come from something as simple as getting a Twitter question answered late at night, he said.

Bolna

I also wanted to repost this link here as I mentioned it in a thread remembering a friend who worked for Disney's Press Department who was a class act all around who sadly died last week. I had lost touch with him in the last 3-4 years and didn't even realize he was still with them.

But in it, he quite pointedly showed some of the problems bloggers bring ('tudes included) and explained that they are not media whether they believe they are or not.

I feel terrible that a good man is gone, and I also feel bad for not reconnecting with him and discussing this issue in person. But the interview is quite illuminating.

http://tapmag.com/2012/01/05/the-dave-herbst-interview-an-analysis-of-blogging-social-media-and-standards/

And thanks for reposting this. I finally found the time to read through it and it is indeed very interesting to read from someone who was working within Disney about how bloggers do act. I think his biggest point is that one need to truly look at whom one is working with - and what character these people have. As he says, anyone who about not getting an invite (which is different from just stating a fact) does show that they are in fact not the type of people whom you want to invite. It is kind of like admitting that those people expect their good opinion to be bought with the invite...

Lee

Adventurer
And thanks for reposting this. I finally found the time to read through it and it is indeed very interesting to read from someone who was working within Disney about how bloggers do act. I think his biggest point is that one need to truly look at whom one is working with - and what character these people have. As he says, anyone who about not getting an invite (which is different from just stating a fact) does show that they are in fact not the type of people whom you want to invite. It is kind of like admitting that those people expect their good opinion to be bought with the invite...
This.
And that Thomas Smith quote is very telling.

culturenthrills

This is not a complaint but I find it interesting now the amount of stuff they are giving away to the social media types.
I work in TV news and used to be we had a specific media contact and I had no problem getting tickets a few times a year for myself and my family. In the last two years they changed it where you have to go thru their website and the limit is two 1 day park hoppers twice a year and there is no one you deal with on a regular basis. So it amazes me the amount of money they blow on these people while regular media is now just an afterthought.
I guess they think by buying off social media types they can control opinion on the web but they are idiots if they think they can. You know if anyone wants to do any investigating into the quality of a WDW vacation it wouldn't take long to find it.
So I guess they think if they get these pixie dusters to blow enuff smoke up peoples butts it will make people consider going to WDW instead of I don't know offering new attractions and a higher quality experience for the money.
You can have all the pixie dusters you want out there but if people are coming back from WDW feeling like they have been ripped off then no amount of pixie dust will be able to fix the bad word of mouth WDW gets.

asianway

This is not a complaint but I find it interesting now the amount of stuff they are giving away to the social media types.
I work in TV news and used to be we had a specific media contact and I had no problem getting tickets a few times a year for myself and my family. In the last two years they changed it where you have to go thru their website and the limit is two 1 day park hoppers twice a year and there is no one you deal with on a regular basis. So it amazes me the amount of money they blow on these people while regular media is now just an afterthought.
I guess they think by buying off social media types they can control opinion on the web but they are idiots if they think they can. You know if anyone wants to do any investigating into the quality of a WDW vacation it wouldn't take long to find it.
So I guess they think if they get these pixie dusters to blow enuff smoke up peoples butts it will make people consider going to WDW instead of I don't know offering new attractions and a higher quality experience for the money.
You can have all the pixie dusters you want out there but if people are coming back from WDW feeling like they have been ripped off then no amount of pixie dust will be able to fix the bad word of mouth WDW gets.
But here is the core of the apple...is the money spent on these social media types money well spent? Is any of it getting new business? I think by the time anyone finds one of these sites on the web, they are already predisposed to going or are a repeat visitor.

So the reason really becomes one of covering up the dirty sheets, and that is not a self sustainable business model.

dreamfinder

But here is the core of the apple...is the money spent on these social media types money well spent? Is any of it getting new business? I think by the time anyone finds one of these sites on the web, they are already predisposed to going or are a repeat visitor.

So the reason really becomes one of covering up the dirty sheets, and that is not a self sustainable business model.

Sadly most old school/main stream media while usually being more accountable, is much less trackable/verifiable. Yeah, you can say that Neilsen gave our channel a certain score for a particular region, but that is still heavily extrapolated based upon the people they do have participating.

But with online media, there is at least some sort of tracking. Especially for Disney owned/operated sites they have the ability to glean info about you. Liked their facebook (any of em.....)? Hooboy, people think that the info they will get from RFID bracelets is scary, imagine letting them see everything you have posted on Facebook, the people you like, the other brands you follow, etc. It's a marketers dream.

I think that social media gets targeted now due to a longer reach. Courting a TV program used to be the only way to get your message out, but after that 5 oclock news, it was gone. No more. Targeting the current new media (social and non) tends to stick around much longer, and can have a larger reach. With TV if you miss it, you are out of luck. Couldn't show your neighbor the new pictures from Epcot as they were only on the news. But now if your neighbor missed the initial FLE press announcement, you can fwd them links and pics afterwards. And while you may not have directly seen something, with the advent of "liking/plusing/whatevering" posts, things rise to the top and hand around. Reposting things on Tumblr or pinning them on your pintrest helps to spread em around. So it starts off at Disney fanbois only, but second round is seen by some casual fans, third round by their friends, and it just kinda trickles out from there.

At least that is what all the social media "experts" are using to sell their talents on to major corporations. It may not be right, but it's first, and that is what people want. Currently we are driven to know about stuff now, not when the news cycle suits us. Breaking news story about the head of an intelligence agency quitting due to an affair? Wait til the 5 or 11 PM news, the next days paper, or 30 seconds for CNN to send out an alert to everyone who has their app installed. Which sounds more like our current society.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Except I don't need a free trip, free boarding, or even a free dinner (feel free to guess why, although I almost never turn down free food!),

I don't like guessing games unless it's playing 'find the vinylmation with one of my 20-something fanboi minions' ... but I sorta think you're telling me that you live in O-Town and either have an AP or are a CM. But feel free to correct me if I'm missing something. I haven't had my evening coffee today (although the espresso I had at 1 should still have me awake!):D

and I do more than Disney photography, its just that WDW is a convenient and almost inexhaustible subject and Disney picking up on my photography...that's probably the best I could do outside of getting in NatGeo/Time/etc. If I want the "attention" of Celebration Place, its purely for possible career implications and to maybe start making some money to support a hobby I love. As for the crop analogy/phrase, I meant it in that you seem to throw all of social media, Disney and everyone else, under the bus just because of your problems with Disney social media in particular.

Exactly. You want to make money off your photography and maybe have a Disney Lifestyler career ... hell, maybe even get a job with WDW (I'd hire Tom Bricker myself and, no, I am not kidding! ... I would demand that he never appear in public with those hideous socks, however!) Guess what? I have no issue with that. The problem is everyone sees the gravy train and thinks they can climb aboard and with so many wanting so much, Disney can pick and choose the best yet they seem to head into business with the most slimy characters. And they allow some folks (Mongello, Lange) to get away with things that others would have lawyers/cease and desist letters/ban notices for.

Believe me, I absolutely am NOT against all social media or even all uses of it within a Disney construct.

Wondering if Josh and the Voce team had to have an emergency meeting at Celebration Place to discuss dealing with fans afraid of Frappucinos on Main Street.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Interesting read, thanks for posting this!

I had to smile when I read:
"People connect with people," he said. "Not brands or logos."​

You are welcome. I had hoped to spend time here, but who knew Starbucks was gonna be the theme of the weekend?

As it seemed to take a another discussion somewhere else until the Disney Parks Blog started to actually interact with people in the comments and gave the bloggers more of a personality...

And then Thomas Smith more or less admits that the "tweeting with the fanboys" is - just as you always claim - only about making them feel special:
"Everything we say will not be remembered, but how we make you feel will last," Smith said. That feeling could come from something as simple as getting a Twitter question answered late at night, he said.

Yes (sorry for the italics) ... it's all about FAKING IT FOR FANBOIS!!! I wish people would wake up when they read something by a blogger or a low level writer/Imagineer like one of the three Jasons.

WDW1974

Original Poster

I know they are making traditional media jump through hoops. I've NEVER needed freebies (at WDW anyway) and gotten them from friend at DL when needed. But when I was in a position to obtain media passes, Disney gave them out like confetti. You made a phone call and they were left for you. No biggee.

Now, Disney is only interested in the whores. Now, many of them have APs, but it doesn't mean their significxnt others, siblings, parents, grandparents, friends, neighbors etc do.

And, rest assured, if Lou Mongello wants more than two one day park-hoppers A MONTH, they will be provided.

Smary, slimy and sleazy. Not three new Dwarfs. Just the way Disney handles bloggers and podcasters.

WDW1974

Original Poster
The subject of plants (not the green kind) has come up from time to time and I've meant to address something I've found weird.

Have you noticed how sometimes it seems like mutiple writing voices/personalities are coming through on the same accounts? Almost like some members here (and elsewhere) are more group projects?

How about on this site when you see someone who joined three, four, eight years ago and has maybe 11 posts and all of a sudden they become quite active and NASTY on one particular thread (usually a serious one)?

Yeah, I'm a paranoid Spirit and believe the moon landing was a hoax (I don't but am saying it so the folks who will take shots at me have less ammo), but often I get the distinct feeling that many posters (no, I won't name names because we all know that isn't allowed) aren't quite what they seem to be.

flynnibus

Premium Member
The subject of plants (not the green kind) has come up from time to time and I've meant to address something I've found weird.

Ever notice you don't see some people in the same room at the same time?? And some people seem to alternate their stays??

As for 'sleeper accounts' they are used by spammers but it takes such an investment you don't see it as much anymore. I don't question those as much for corporate use but maybe old sock puppets people drag out again. But there are certainly a lot of people who simply drop off fans sites for awhile and hearing about a topic brings them back temporarily.

I think I see the Clark kent syndrome here quite a bit with the obvious %##^ stirrers.

I just put them all on ignore to rob them of what they feed on. If everyone would the world would get so much better..

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom