More changes to dining plan

lscott933

Original Poster
Walt Disney World has made a bunch of interesting dining changes. First off, from August 24 to September 27, Disney will increase the opportunities for the crowds with free dining to use their table service credits.

• Chef Mickey's opens for lunch from 12:30 to 2:30 p.m.
    Ohana opens for an extra hour for breakfast, from 7:30 a.m., and open an hour earlier for dinner, now from 4:00 to 10:00 p.m.
    Whispering Canyon Cafe also opens for an extra hour for dinner, from 4:00 to 10:00 p.m.
As of October 5, the Garden Grill opens only for dinner, and will no longer be open for lunch.
As of January 5, 2009, the Liberty Tree Tavern is no longer offering character dining. Dinner will continue to be servered without the characters. theses two we know about already.
The big change appears to foreshadow a major policy change. As of July 16, you will not be able to make any Advance Dining Reservations (ADRs) for any dates past January 15, 2009. ADRs needed for January 16, 2009 or later will not be able to be booked until October 15, with the following three exceptions: Chef Mickey's, Cinderella's Royal Table, and Victoria and Albert'.
It looks like Disney is preparing to move the reservations window from 180 days back to 90 days, with the exception of the three most-in-demand dining locations. While the days of walk-up, same-day reservations everywhere are probably gone forever, it'll be nice not to have to worry about what you want to eat half a year in advance.

KnK

I believe one of the other threads about this explained the 90 day issue. They are changing to new software. This is probably only temporary.

BigB911

Walt Disney World has made a bunch of interesting dining changes. First off, from August 24 to September 27, Disney will increase the opportunities for the crowds with free dining to use their table service credits.
Wait a sec...did they extend the free dining thru the 27th? Anyone have the discount code for that?

Thanks...

crassmonkey

According to Touringplans.com the 90 day window will go back to 180 days. It's just a temporary thing.

And as far as a discount code for the free dining...at this late in the game, I think the free dining has all been taken and the window to get in on it ended last month.

imamouse

I wish the reservation window would permanently move to 90 days. Trying to figure out 180 days in advance where and when I might want to eat at WDW is so much pie in the sky. I miss the days of being able to snag same-day ADRs – especially at the WS restaurants.

Hopefully, this new system will have some tracking to prevent folks from making multiple ADRs at different locations for the same time. This abuse of the system needs to stop!

sbkline

• Chef Mickey's opens for lunch from 12:30 to 2:30 p.m.
    Ohana opens for an extra hour for breakfast, from 7:30 a.m., and open an hour earlier for dinner, now from 4:00 to 10:00 p.m.
    Whispering Canyon Cafe also opens for an extra hour for dinner, from 4:00 to 10:00 p.m.
As of October 5, the Garden Grill opens only for dinner, and will no longer be open for lunch.
As of January 5, 2009, the Liberty Tree Tavern is no longer offering character dining. Dinner will continue to be servered without the characters. theses two we know about already.
The big change appears to foreshadow a major policy change. As of July 16, you will not be able to make any Advance Dining Reservations (ADRs) for any dates past January 15, 2009. ADRs needed for January 16, 2009 or later will not be able to be booked until October 15, with the following three exceptions: Chef Mickey's, Cinderella's Royal Table, and Victoria and Albert'.
It looks like Disney is preparing to move the reservations window from 180 days back to 90 days, with the exception of the three most-in-demand dining locations. While the days of walk-up, same-day reservations everywhere are probably gone forever, it'll be nice not to have to worry about what you want to eat half a year in advance.

Regarding the Garden Grill, I thought that they were simply eliminating the character lunch, but they will still be serving lunch. Just without characters. Can anyone clarify this?

Ausdaddy

Wait a sec...did they extend the free dining thru the 27th? Anyone have the discount code for that?

Thanks...

The 27th date was not for the public. Public free dining was through the 20th. The 27th was for those using the bounce back offer last September.

bgraham34

I am going to the world in Sept 12th for 5 days and I had a hard time getting resservations at Ohanas at night. Even after that added an additional hour.

Hopefully, this new system will have some tracking to prevent folks from making multiple ADRs at different locations for the same time. This abuse of the system needs to stop!

Exactly! If you make a second ADR within even a two or three hour time period, I hope the new system thows up some sort of a red flag and the cast member on the phone is prompted to tell you that making a new ADR will cancel your existing one.

imamouse

The only problem is people use different names to make multiple ADRs. There needs to be a pin or something associated with the ressie - although that still wouldn't stop people from saying that they're day guests when they make additional ADRs. I'm not sure what the answer is :shrug: - just that it needs to be fixed.

Brian Noble

They are changing to new software. This is probably only temporary.
I've read this too, and don't believe it for a second. It takes a full year to shake down what is realistically a realtively simple piece of software? Disney IT is neither that incompetent nor cautious.

A simpler explanation is that this is a move to be able to shorten the window of announcing park hours, in the face of very volatile guest bookings. Word on the street was November and December hours were so delayed because advance bookings had dropped quite a bit---but, judging by the hours that eventually went up, bookings came though. But, in these uncertain times, it would not be surprising for people to not plan expensive vactions quite so far ahead.

Disneykidder

I agree 180 days is a bit far to make meal choices but 90 isn't? Seems they are both far in advance but I understand why they do that. I got what I wanted for my August trip with the exception of one...and I called about 150 days out. I keep calling daily and cannot change my time. Guess if I called 180, I may have gotten it.

I love the dining plan. Let's just bring back the appetizer. :)

Richie248

I myself woul love a 90 day reservation window. Planning so far ahead is fun, but it can also be stressful. I would also like to see some sort of plan put in place to eliminate multiple reservations...but we'll just have to wait and see.

I personally would love the opportunity to book dining online, you can log onto the website using your confirmation number, and plan everything from there. The possibilities associated with planning everything online (hotel, tickets, dining, entertainment, recreation) would be a big plus, and before your trip you could have all your details printed out...just a thought. I'm staying at teh Hyatt t his weekend, and they have a website which allows you to make in room requests prior to arrival, make dining reservation and arrange transportation. It is pretty neat.

Just some thoughts...

Yankeeplex

I remember walking into EPCOT and going into Innoventions and walking up to the video phones and making reservations for the restaurants for later that evening. Boy has that changed. I don't know what I want to eat on Friday let along 6 months in advance. OY!

RiversideBunny

A simpler explanation is that this is a move to be able to shorten the window of announcing park hours, ....

Yes. They only went to posting the park hours six months out after people with the dining plan complained that they need to know 180 days in advance what the park hours are.

IMHO, I think a 90 day window for dining reservations is more practical.
I hope it does not revert to 180 days.

We personally believe in counter service for most meals because it keeps things flexible.
No having to worry about being at a certain place at a certain time.

:)

DisneySaint

The change to this is only temporary while Disney switches out its dining software. It will revert back to 180 days once that is complete.

Dwarful

I too wish it would stay at 90 days. I also miss the days of getting up and heading to a park and making a reservation that very day. However, I hate not knowing what the park hours will be. We take advantage of the early morning emh's and like to plan accordingly.

Sam02

Has there been any official word from Disney about the 180 days being moved to 90 days? I'm not doubting the website, too many on here say it is very reliable, but I also thought nothing was absolute until Disney said so.

DougK

I wish the reservation window would permanently move to 90 days. Trying to figure out 180 days in advance where and when I might want to eat at WDW is so much pie in the sky. I miss the days of being able to snag same-day ADRs – especially at the WS restaurants.

Because people can use multiple names and/or phone numbers it would be really easy to cheat the system even if it was set up to not allow multiple ressies for the same person. And we know alot of people would cheat the system.

As far as I can tell the ONLY was to stop this would be to take a credit card deposit for EACH reservation. I would welcome this but I doubt it would ever happen at least until and unless online booking is available.

I really hate having to book meals so far in advance. We eat offsite more than ever now (we are not Dining Plan fans, as AP holders we were never allowed to use it until this year anyway).

mickeymouse090

As of July 16, you will not be able to make any Advance Dining Reservations (ADRs) for any dates past January 15, 2009. ADRs needed for January 16, 2009 or later will not be able to be booked until October 15, with the following three exceptions: Chef Mickey's, Cinderella's Royal Table, and Victoria and Albert'.

Those dates are right in the middle of me making my ADR reservations for our trip. So I will only get to make the first half of them & then have to wait until Oct. 15th to make the rest of them? That stinks!! What about if you book a package next month when “hopefully” the rates come out for 2009, (heck I’m still waiting for the January hours to be posted), could I book the rest then? I'm not happy that my ADR will not be booked at the same time! :zipit:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom