More booze at Disneyland

Californian Elitist

If I drink in Olive Garden and there’s kids there is that bad?
Are you implying I’m not a respectable person? Because I’d like a drink with my meal while I’m on vacation? I personally have no issue drinking infront of kids.

I always say the first sign of a weak argument is when the insults start
You’re probably safe at Olive Garden because Walt Disney didn’t come up with it and christen it.

SSG

My favorite DLR drinking story:

Family trip 5-6 years back. The wives were doing some kind of shopping thing and the kids were roaming on their own. Me and my brother-in-law decided to do single rider at Radiator Springs Racers. On the way, we stopped at the beer truck for a beverage.

Once in line, I noticed a family a couple of rows over. The father was the textbook image of a Defeated Disney Dad. The kids were crabby and fighting with each other, the mom was alternately trying to keep them in line and sniping at the dad, and he looked miserable on his expensive vacation.

Dad notices us sipping our beers and calls over, 'Hey, you're allowed to walk around here with beer? I assured him it was true. 'Where'd you get it?' he asked and I directed him to the beer cart at old Pacific Wharf.

'This trip just got a hell of a lot better' and he walks out of line.

Vegas Disney Fan

If I drink in Olive Garden and there’s kids there is that bad?
Are you implying I’m not a respectable person? Because I’d like a drink with my meal while I’m on vacation? I personally have no issue drinking infront of kids.

We just did a Disney cruise and they have bars conveniently located everywhere, going to the spa… there’s a bar, going to the pool… there’s a bar, going to a show… there’s a bar, going to meet characters… there’s a bar, going shopping… there’s a bar, you’re never more than a few steps from a bar the entire time you’re on the ship. Despite that I can’t recall seeing a single drunk person on the ship.

(We’re old and in our cabin by 11 so maybe we just miss them).

I don’t doubt people have had run ins with people who drank too much in the parks but in all our years of going to the parks, and now cruising, we’ve never had issues with it. Epcot being the possible exception and even there it was just obnoxiously loud people.

I just don’t think Disney appeals to that crowd, a lot of people like a drink or two on vacation but the heavy drinker who just wants to sit at a bar and get drunk is not Disneys core clientele.

mickEblu

We just did a Disney cruise and they have bars conveniently located everywhere, going to the spa… there’s a bar, going to the pool… there’s a bar, going to a show… there’s a bar, going to meet characters… there’s a bar, going shopping… there’s a bar, you’re never more than a few steps from a bar the entire time you’re on the ship. Despite that I can’t recall seeing a single drunk person on the ship.

I don’t doubt people have had run ins with people who drank too much in the parks but in all our years of going to the parks, and now cruising, we’ve never had issues with it. Epcot being the possible exception and even there it was just obnoxiously loud people.

I just don’t think Disney appeals to that crowd, a lot of people like a drink or two on vacation but the heavy drinker who just wants to sit at a bar and get drunk is not Disneys core clientele.

I agree with this but Disneyland is not a cruise ship. It’s a piece of Americana and a park with a lot of history and tradition. My ideal version of Disneyland is one that doesn’t serve alcohol, and has real grass . It’s really not a hot take y’all (not you specifically Vegas). The park existed this way for 55+ years.

Last edited by a moderator:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I agree with this but Disneyland is not a cruise ship. It’s a piece of Americana and a park with a lot of history and tradition. My ideal version of Disneyland is one that doesn’t serve alcohol, has real grass . It’s really not a hot take y’all (not you specifically Vegas). The park existed this way for 55+ years.
That idealized version of Disneyland just doesn't exist anymore, sorry.

Things progress and time moves on. I wish everyone could have whatever version of Disneyland that best suits them, but we can't. So we either have to accept what Disney gives us, or don't go. Which based on your recent decisions about not renewing your pass, you've made your choice.

mickEblu

That idealized version of Disneyland just doesn't exist anymore, sorry.

Things progress and time moves on. I wish everyone could have whatever version of Disneyland that best suits them, but we can't. So we either have to accept what Disney gives us, or don't go. Which based on your recent decisions about not renewing your pass, you've made your choice.

True and that means that the things I don’t like about the park right now can change too.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
True and that means that the things I don’t like about the park right now can change too.
Sure, Disney can reverse course on some of these actions.

However this is one decision that Disney has spent a long time considering, and has slowly phased in over time to make sure it was accepted by the masses. So I highly doubt once that source of very lucrative income is turned on will Disney reverse course on it.

mickEblu

However this is one decision that Disney has spent a long time considering, and has slowly phased in over time to make sure it was accepted by the masses. So I highly doubt once that source of very lucrative income is turned on will Disney reverse course on it.

I don’t see the alcohol thing ever reversing which admittedly bothers me much less than the other things I listed. It could however be slowed down or eventual plans of having alcohol available at carts or quick service spots can get cancelled.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I don’t see the alcohol thing ever reversing which admittedly bothers me much less than the other things I listed. It could however be slowed down or eventual plans of having alcohol available at carts or quick service spots can get cancelled.
Maybe.....

However once its available and accepted by the masses I don't see any reason why Disney wouldn't just open it up like DCA, EPCOT, or any other Disney Park that serves alcohol.

But time will tell.....

Vegas Disney Fan

My favorite DLR drinking story:

Family trip 5-6 years back. The wives were doing some kind of shopping thing and the kids were roaming on their own. Me and my brother-in-law decided to do single rider at Radiator Springs Racers. On the way, we stopped at the beer truck for a beverage.

Once in line, I noticed a family a couple of rows over. The father was the textbook image of a Defeated Disney Dad. The kids were crabby and fighting with each other, the mom was alternately trying to keep them in line and sniping at the dad, and he looked miserable on his expensive vacation.

Dad notices us sipping our beers and calls over, 'Hey, you're allowed to walk around here with beer? I assured him it was true. 'Where'd you get it?' he asked and I directed him to the beer cart at old Pacific Wharf.

'This trip just got a hell of a lot better' and he walks out of line.

With the parks as stressful as they are alcohol definitely helps calm some nerves and relax people who would otherwise be on edge, I think the mood of the parks would be worse if they didn’t sell it.

mickEblu

The alcohol issue for me is more a matter of keeping tradition and principal. It doesn’t affect my day unless people are being belligerent which I can’t say I’ve really encountered at DLR but believe it or not when I’m at the parks I’m there to enjoy myself so I’m not focusing on the negative stuff and possibly not really paying attention. However, things like fake grass and long purple finger nails on male CM’s do take me out of that idealized escape even if just for a few moments here and there.

mickEblu

Maybe.....

However once its available and accepted by the masses I don't see any reason why Disney wouldn't just open it up like DCA, EPCOT, or any other Disney Park that serves alcohol.

But time will tell.....

The odds are that is exactly what will happen even though some people here said that was a slippery slope for me to believe that would happen just because they’re selling alcohol at all table service restaurants now.

Lilofan

Getting drunk at Epcot Food and Wine and its a very long walk back to your car or wait in line trying to catch a resort bus.

mickEblu

Speaking of Epcot, from what I understand, many people view that as the park to go get drunk or drink around the world. I’d hate for that mentality to ever be associated with Disneyland.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
The alcohol issue for me is more a matter of keeping tradition and principal. It doesn’t affect my day unless people are being belligerent which I can’t say I’ve really encountered at DLR but believe it or not when I’m at the parks I’m there to enjoy myself so I’m not focusing on the negative stuff and possibly not really paying attention. However, things like fake grass and long purple finger nails on male CM’s so take me out of that idealized escape even if just for a few moments here and there.
I get you and others here want to keep the old traditions, and it being a principal around the same. However traditions change as time and society moves on and new traditions are created.

Everyone is also different, what bothers you don't bother me. For example I don't think I ever noticed the grass not being real or even any CMs (male or female or any other gender) wearing any nail polish while being the the Parks. I'm willing to bet its the same for a very large percentage of the population the frequent the Parks.

mickEblu

I get you and others here want to keep the old traditions, and it being a principal around the same. However traditions change as time and society moves on and new traditions are created.

Everyone is also different, what bothers you don't bother me. For example I don't think I ever noticed the grass not being real or even any CMs (male or female or any other gender) wearing any nail polish while being the the Parks. I'm willing to bet its the same for a very large percentage of the population the frequent the Parks.

Do you go to the parks often? You’re not an annual pass holder though right? Much less chance for you to notice those things.

Last edited by a moderator:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
The odds are that is exactly what will happen even though some people here said that was a slippery slope for me to believe that would happen just because they’re selling alcohol at all table service restaurants now.
It'll be a balancing act I'm sure, but in the end the question is will it affect the Park experience in a negative way beyond the perception of those such as yourself.....Probably not. And on that if it ever does happen, Disney will correct things as needed.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom