Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor

Jasonflz

I think it's great. To say that it doesn't fit in Tomorrowland and not offer at least a suggestion as to where else it would go doesn't make much sense, when you look at it there isn't much that does fit in Tomorrowland that they have. Look at the racetrack and Stitch.

It wasn't always like that. ;)

The racetrack actually does manage to fit into TL, it's just a little more complicated than it looks.

Jasonflz

I feel the same way. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one! :)

As I said in another post, being "the son and the heir of a shyness that is criminally vulgar"*, I would rather get a cavity filled or spend the day at the OMV renewing my driver's license than be made the center of attention in public!

One time I had free tickets to an NBA game for the lower bowl, but deliberately sat in my usual spot towards the top of upper bowl, to reduce/negate the chances of being on TV or on the "Jumbotron" during a timeout. And that's what Laugh Floor reminds me of - a sporting event Jumbotron.

If they had "safe seating" as you put it, I would be more likely to attend, although I would still prefer the parts where the Monsters entertain, and would not care for seeing other audience members get picked on.

One thing I think they should do is have a WARNING on the sign out front that "By entering these premises, you consent that your image and likeness may be used and/or poked fun of during this attraction". This is only fair, just as the warning signs in front of EVERY thrill ride clearly let people know what they are getting into, in case they are uncomfortable with it.

After all, the one and only time I saw the show, when they started putting people on camera, I started heavily sweating, shaking, and my heart started beating very rapidly due to nervousness that this could happen to me. Luckily it didn't, but I guess that was my cue to walk out right then and there. I don't think anyone should potentially be put through that, without a proper warning.

After the show (which was a soft-opening show years ago), a survey CM asked for feedback, and I objected heavily to the audience members being made fun of on camera, as well as the lack of any kind of warning outside the attraction. And I cited this as something that would make it more suitable for Universal, or, if they must have these "make the audience the 'star'" type of attractions at WDW, Hollywood Studios.

I have no idea if they have since included a WARNING outside the attraction, as I haven't visited it since!

So, I may be in the minority of the Laugh Floor "haters", but for me, it's NOT because of the use of characters or being out of place in Tomorrowland. In fact, if they converted the space to a Monsters Inc. dark ride, I'd LOVE it! :)

You could always just get up and leave if you felt uncomfortable! People used to do it in the Tiki Room, and it's the ultimate way in this case to both insult the attraction, and take back control of your personal space.

Reading the bolded part just makes me hate this attraction more. IMO, that's just wrong and mean-spirited to pick on someone when their body language CLEARLY indicates they are being made uncomfortable. One of these days, they are going to pick on the wrong person, and see someone's middle finger on the screen, or hear an angry, profanity-filled outburst or something. People should be able to control their privacy and personal space, and not have them so blatently VIOLATED while in the parks, if they haven't been warned otherwise.

PS. This post is not intended to "bash" this attraction or start an argument about its merits, but to present an alternate viewpoint for those wondering why some people strongly dislike it.

PPS. Once I was at the front of the line for the Backlot Tour, and a CM was trying to get "volunteers" for the preshow. I noticed he was NOT being completely forthright about telling them what they would be getting into, so I bluntly told everyone he asked "They are going to dump tons of water on you in front of over a hundred people". This didn't make the CM very happy with me, as my comments caused more than one group to decline. But, TOO BAD! :p

* Quote from "How Soon Is Now", by the Smiths, 1984.

:sohappy: Agreed! I personally am very shy in front of large crowds and I can't really enjoy an attraction if I feel like they can single me out at any time.

ArtieJim

I can understand shyness and not wanting to be seen by a large amount of people but you're in the most heavily visited theme park in the world. THE WORLD. How many people do you think see you each day you're at the park? What about all the ride photos that get taken. Everyone that takes a spin on the ride sees those as well, do you ask the CM at the photo booth after each ride to take your photo down?

MAF

I love it too. The people who hate it are the ones who are scared to let loose and have some fun while on vacation. They're so terrified that they might get shown on screen or get asked to do something in public. Lighten up people...

Oh and someone stated that the show "violates" people? LMAO! Wow, get a grip.

ChristianG

Original Poster
I agree on the most part that you need to let loose and enjoy your time. But I myself am a little shy, and I can understand some of the pressure you can be put under. But why hide in your shell the entire time? You're at WDW! Make the best of it and just laugh along!

Jasonflz

:lol: I'm not in a "shell" when I visit WDW. I just have a bad case of shyness that can be really extreme in those cases like that. Why do you think there are so many people avoiding volunteering at American Idol. :rolleyes:

So don't tell me to lighten up. :mad:

David S.

:lol: I'm not in a "shell" when I visit WDW. I just have a bad case of shyness that can be really extreme in those cases like that. Why do you think there are so many people avoiding volunteering at American Idol. :rolleyes:

So don't tell me to lighten up. :mad:

:sohappy::sohappy::sohappy::sohappy::sohappy:

I can understand shyness and not wanting to be seen by a large amount of people but you're in the most heavily visited theme park in the world. THE WORLD. How many people do you think see you each day you're at the park? What about all the ride photos that get taken. Everyone that takes a spin on the ride sees those as well, do you ask the CM at the photo booth after each ride to take your photo down?

There is a BIG DIFFERENCE between being SINGLED OUT, made the CENTER of attention, and made fun of in front of a large group, or inadvertantly appearing in the BACKGROUND of someone else's Photopass photo. Or when people "see you" when simply walking around the park, you are just blending into the crowd, the same as anyone else. I don't dress in a way to attract unwanted attention (shorts and t-shirt, the same as nearly everyone else in the parks), so this doesn't make me uncomfortable.

As far as onride photos, I'm not a fan of them and don't buy them, but again, they exists for EVERYONE who goes on the ride. No one is being SINGLED OUT or made fun of, so yours just blends in with all the others, and vanishes off the screen once the next set of boats/vehicles comes in. They aren't shown in front of hundreds of people (or whatever the LF capacity is) and made fun of.

So it's a HUGE difference.

I love it too. The people who hate it are the ones who are scared to let loose and have some fun while on vacation. They're so terrified that they might get shown on screen or get asked to do something in public. Lighten up people...

Oh and someone stated that the show "violates" people? LMAO! Wow, get a grip.

This is stereotyping. I do have "fun" while at WDW, (and when in the parks, I am NOT on vacation!) but as a shy introvert, I could NEVER find being picked on in the Laugh Floor "fun". Different people have different things they find "fun" or "unfun". Just accept that. If you are not that way (intensly shy and introverted) you will never completely understand where we are coming from, but it is wrong to criticize others who are not like you. And yes, from the point of view of those made extremely uncomfortable by them, those cameras violate your privacy and personal space, if there are no warning signs posted outside. Which, there wasn't on my one time seeing it.

Different stokes for different folks. There are obviously others on this forum who react the same as me to these type of things, and others who shared stories of relatives who are the same way.

Just as there are several people who are VERY uncomfortable by the high speeds and drops found in thrill rides (ALL of which have warning signs). I love thrill rides, so I can't personally relate to this, but I don't question them or criticize them for their taste.

Or would you condescendingly tell the non-thrill fans expressing how those experiences make them feel to "Lighten up, get a grip, have fun, you're on vacation!" :shrug:

I agree on the most part that you need to let loose and enjoy your time. But I myself am a little shy, and I can understand some of the pressure you can be put under. But why hide in your shell the entire time? You're at WDW! Make the best of it and just laugh along!

As stated above, I do "let loose and have fun". But what that means for me and you are obviously 2 different things. I could never "laugh along" at unsolicited public embarrasment at my expense. EVER. I "make the best of it" by skipping this attraction and focusing on the things I DO like, which is nearly everything else at WDW. I am actually VERY easy to please, and ENJOY most of the attractions at WDW, including those that are trendy to bash here! Just look at past posts for evidence that I am more of a "pixie duster" than a "hater" with regards to the other attractions. Laugh Floor is just outside of my comfort zone, just as thrill rides are outside of many people's comfort zone, and I am truly BAFFLED why some can't respect that.

Like I said in my first post, I did not enter this thread to start a debate or bash this attraction. The OP was trying to understand why not everyone liked this attraction, and I wanted to present an additional reason other than "doesn't fit Tomorrowland", which is what the other responders were saying.

wilkeliza

I really enjoyed the laugh floor. It was 1 am but it was great. My boyfriend was picked on as the Churro guy and I laughed.

I think if you don't want to be on the screen as soon as it happens alert the first CM you see. Also I'm sure there were signs everywhere in the queue about audience interaction.

I don't get why people demand things be closed because they don't like it. If you are an introvert just don't go to MILF. Sorry you have to miss one attraction and your trip isn't perfect but it is impossible to please everyone. I'm sure Disney thought there would people who didn't want to get picked on so I bet if you ask a CM will tell you where you can sit and not be picked on. If not then just don't go to it.

I mean my bf doesn't like getting soaked on rides so does that mean they should turn down the water for him on Splash Mountain?

side note on the CBJ talk. I saw it and it was one of the most offensive things I had ever seen. I was shocked that Disney is still running it but I guess you can be offensive if you are a "classic". Keep the bears just update their jamboree please.

David S.

That's just the sort of attitude you need to take with you to MILF next visit! :wave:

Um, no, there won't be a "next visit" to "MILF". If people have nothing better to do than stand outside the CBJ waiting for people to exit so they can "make fun of them", I can't do anything about that. (And I seriously doubt that many people waste their time in the MK doing that, with Thunder and Splash right down the road!).

But I CAN control my ability to not be made fun of and embarrased in "MILF" by not visiting the attraction. I am not missing anything, because even if I sat in the "safe seats", I wouldn't enjoy OTHER people being put on the spot like that. I have traditionally NEVER enjoyed watching theme park attractions that put audience members in the show, going back to my first underwhelming, completely forgetable experience at Universal Cali years ago.

But again, "different strokes", "live and let live", etc. :wave:

David S.

I really enjoyed the laugh floor. It was 1 am but it was great. My boyfriend was picked on as the Churro guy and I laughed.

I think if you don't want to be on the screen as soon as it happens alert the first CM you see. Also I'm sure there were signs everywhere in the queue about audience interaction.

I don't get why people demand things be closed because they don't like it. If you are an introvert just don't go to MILF. Sorry you have to miss one attraction and your trip isn't perfect but it is impossible to please everyone. I'm sure Disney thought there would people who didn't want to get picked on so I bet if you ask a CM will tell you where you can sit and not be picked on. If not then just don't go to it.

I mean my bf doesn't like getting soaked on rides so does that mean they should turn down the water for him on Splash Mountain?

side note on the CBJ talk. I saw it and it was one of the most offensive things I had ever seen. I was shocked that Disney is still running it but I guess you can be offensive if you are a "classic". Keep the bears just update their jamboree please.

You are REALLY putting words in people's mouth here. Not ONE person in this thread, including me, "demanded that it be closed". You are correct about "if you are an introvert, don't go on it". I don't.

No one is saying it should be closed or changed, or that EVERY attraction has to appeal to EVERYONE. My suggestion was to put a warning sign outside about the cameras, if they haven't done so already.

AGAIN, I did not join this thread to "bash" the attraction, "demand it's removal" or start an argument. People were ASKING why some people didn't like it, and I was ANSWERING why I didn't like it.

If my purpose of being on these boards was to go on a personal crusade against the Laugh Floor, I wouldn't wait for people to ask our honest opinions about the attraction - I'd be starting the threads myself.

Clever Name

You are REALLY putting words in people's mouth here. Not ONE person in this thread, including me, "demanded that it be closed". You are correct about "if you are an introvert, don't go on it". I don't.

No one is saying it should be closed or changed, or that EVERY attraction has to appeal to EVERYONE. My suggestion was to put a warning sign outside about the cameras, if they haven't done so already.

AGAIN, I did not join this thread to "bash" the attraction, "demand it's removal" or start an argument. People were ASKING why some people didn't like it, and I was ANSWERING why I didn't like it.

If my purpose of being on these boards was to go on a personal crusade against the Laugh Floor, I wouldn't wait for people to ask our honest opinions about the attraction - I'd be starting the threads myself.

I think you need to find a way to harness the energy you've shown in this thread and use it to overcome your shyness in real life. You could become "That Guy" in MILF and become the life of the party! :wave:

David S.

I think you need to find a way to harness the energy you've shown in this thread and use it to overcome your shyness in real life. You could become "That Guy" in MILF and become the life of the party! :wave:

I'm a writer by backround, so the "energy" I put into this thread was minimal. My idea of a good "party" is staying home with a good book, DVD, or CD, or going to theme parks solo or with family or friends, but I prefer small groups to large - preferably just one or two others. At a "real party" I prefer to quietly blend into the background, or at gatherings such as wedding receptions, quietly indulge in the free food and open bar! (without going overboard) ;) So I let others worry about getting attention or being the "life of the party" ;)

My "shyness in real life" does not hinder me from doing any of the things I want to do, or stop me from being able to support myself, so I don't need to "overcome it". It's part of my identity and I'm PROUD of it. As the great Dame Shirley Bassey sang, "I Am What I Am". I believe in the "be yourself" mantra, rather than to change who you are to conform and "fit in". So sorry, I won't be participating in Laugh Floor!

Now, hopefully we can let others voice their opinion on the attraction rather than have lectures about why the people who don't enjoy the attraction are wrong, and need to change who they are and start liking it. :wave:

DrummerAlly

Here's what I don't get....

To me, (and I realize this is not necessarily the original intention of Tomorrowland), Tomorrowland is about all of the futuristic things that we can't do. It's the future that never was and never will be, so its interpretation is pliable.

I can't currently board a spaceship and fly around space.
I can't board a space-mobile and shoot at emperor zurg.
Okay... I can drive a car.
I can't interact with the monster world!

Stitch and MILF fit Tomorrowland just fine for me, regardless of how much I like either attraction.

Yes, it would be a better fit in Pixar Place and they desperately need attractions over there, but if we follow that logic then we need to put all Pixar related films there. It just can't happen.

Doombuggy13

I love the Laugh Floor, the wife does too. Most important, my boys love it. Doesn't matter to us where it's located, it's an attraction we hit every year.

Chrononymous

It's weird...I totally get both sides of this debate on MILF.

On the one hand I am an actress...so I make my living being silly before a crowd. I certainly don't mind crowd attention, and I usually dress a little oddly.

But I also have suffered from severe social anxiety(especially involving meeting new people and phones)...and sometimes I feel so embarassed for people who are obviously uncomfortable and shy being singled out.

I have seen the show a few times, and when they pick people who ham it up, and don't look completely freaked out on camera...then I find I really enjoy the show a lot.

When they choose people who really obviously don't like the attention, I find the show leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

I still enjoy it...but there's this weird feeling of feeling sorry for this stranger that I have never met.

I have done a few audience participation shows, where I am in charge of finding that member of the audience who has to be foolish for a few minutes in front of everyone.

And being sensitive to these things...I usually pick the right person...but not always.

MAF

Where in the show do they "make fun" of people or "pick on" people? I think people are going to extremes to be dramatic. If the contents of that show bother you that much I would hate to see you in an actual real world situation. Yikes...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom