Monsters, Inc. - Laugh Floor Previews Has Begun

Epcot82Guy

I guess I would just point out one thing here (and not in the WWWD mode; in the business model mode). "If you aim for children, you are dead." It is one of his most relevant business model quotes and incredibly true for longevity.

1. Children are VERY fickle. That is their nature, especially in today's world.

2. With the model you are all suggesting, you then have at least a 10 year gap between when people enjoy Disney. Is it really a good model to have your guest be bored and disinterested for that long and then have to rekindle it?

Please understand the frustration I have here is that there is a delicate line that exists that appeases both sides. And, to add to it, there have been some great additions that have been improvements for both groups. Furthermore, there have been other additions that have come off to me as close, but just off the mark for that. But, with current trends, as this discussion is proving, I really can't tell my 20 and 30-something friends that it is a great vacation. Instead of being an audience, even a secondary one, it can come off as being told to not come back until we have kids. and I'm getting closer to listening...

SeanC

I miss some great attractions that are gone. I love some of the new attractions. There are opening day attractions I never bother with. I try everything new and some I rarely if ever bother with again (Stitch, cough). Some things are for kids. Some things are for older. Some are for everyone. Some old attractions emphasize characters, some don't. Same with the new. Through all the changes and growth, it really hasn't changed all that much, IMHO.

DisneyMusician2

Honestly, I just don't believe that the basic DIsney has changed that much. We still all go for the same reasons, and to really live out some dreams and be a kid again. And for all the talk about theming and new attractions, M:S was one of the great thrills of my life....always wanted to be an astronaut.

nibblesandbits

Epcot82Guy said:
I really can't tell my 20 and 30-something friends that it is a great vacation. Instead of being an audience, even a secondary one, it can come off as being told to not come back until we have kids. and I'm getting closer to listening...

I can...

I'm in my early 20s and I keep trying to convince my friends to visit Disney with me. And they would...they just can't afford to.

But my friends would have an absolute blast! They've all seen the Pixar movies like me. They all absolutely LOVE Finding Nemo. So, I'm sure they'd like The Seas and the Musical. I know they'd also be entertained by Buzz Lightyear and more than likely the Laugh Floor. I'm not so sure about Stitch, but I know that they would think Soarin, TT, EE, and M:S would be cool. My one best friend loves Pooh...so anything with him would be a stop. And she also loves Johnny Depp...so Pirates would be a definite stop. My other friend really wants to look for the 7 Dwarves...that's a running joke with us. They would all of course want to do the Mountains, HM, the Fantasyland attractions. TOT and RNRC would top the list too.

So...I don't agree with your statement about people in their 20s and 30s not thinking Disney would be a great vacation. Especially if you don't have kids. (which none of them do). The vacation is what you make of it. If you want to have fun with it, you will. No matter what age.

wannab@dis

So...I don't agree with your statement about people in their 20s and 30s not thinking Disney would be a great vacation. Especially if you don't have kids. (which none of them do). The vacation is what you make of it. If you want to have fun with it, you will. No matter what age.

Well said. My wife just asked the other day when we're going back and then said... "think we can find a babysitter?" :zipit:

dxwwf3

While I'm with EpcotGuy82 on just about everything, I do think there is still plenty to offer for people my age. Just because one park continues to ignore the 20-30 year olds, doesn't mean fun can't be had at the resort and even STILL at that previously mentioned Magic Kingdom. Disney's quality is still unsurpassed and there is more to do at WDW than probably anywhere else on the planet. I do think that in certain instances quality has slipped, but it isn't the norm and nothing is perfect. I am glad that people to complain when certain things aren't up to par because Disney has a great reputation for trying to make things better. But there is always more good than bad going on. Much more good.

I helped plan out a honeymoon for two of my college friends and they were both blown away with the place. They are already talking about their trip in 2008. Was the Magic Kingdom their least favorite of the 4 parks? Yes it was to be honest. But did they enjoy the MK? You bet. They really enjoyed Downtown Disney and wish they had about 3 or 4 days to spend at Epcot.

So I gotta go with nibbles on this one.

wannab@dis

Just because one park continues to ignore the 20-30 year olds, doesn't mean fun can't be had at the resort and even STILL at that previously mentioned Magic Kingdom.

I just don't agree with that statement and "ignore" is way off base. There are more things geared to teens and adults / family than to children only. In fact... I challenge you to put up a list of kid only attractions that is longer than the height restricted attractions or questionable for kids (HM, PotC, etc). I don't think it's possible.

dxwwf3

I just don't agree with that statement and "ignore" is way off base. There are more things geared to teens and adults / family than to children only. In fact... I challenge you to put up a list of kid only attractions that is longer than the height restricted attractions or questionable for kids (HM, PotC, etc). I don't think it's possible.

Again you continue to only look at anything that is remotely negative in anyone's post that has similar viewpoints that I have.

Why not focus on all the good things I said about Disney and the MK in the post?

I'll put together a list later. But for the time being, just look here and the page speaks for itself.

http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/wdw/parks/parkListing?id=MKAttractionListingPage

CaptainMichael

I completely agree. I was just thinking about this as I was reading this page.

CaptainMichael

Recent Additions/Upgrades:

Pirates Upgrade: Focused on the movie fans...predominately teens and up.
Stitch: For the kids, (could have been for whole family)but poorly executed.
Philharmagic: For everyone, but appreciated by us older folks.
Pooh's Playful Spot: At first glance, it's for kids, but Disney has plans for the huge hole they just filled up...most likely, it will be a height restricted ride.
The Laugh Floor: Potentially could be enjoyed by all.
Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin:Easily can be enjoyed by all.

wannab@dis

Again you continue to only look at anything that is remotely negative in anyone's post that has similar viewpoints that I have.

It has been a premise of your posts before and you put it first in that post. It seems to be an important stance that you have so I felt it worth replying. I'll look at the link, but I still think there's less geared at kids / toddlers.

dxwwf3

It has been a premise of your posts before and you put it first in that post. It seems to be an important stance that you have so I felt it worth replying. I'll look at the link, but I still think there's less geared at kids / toddlers.

It is an importance stance with me, but you didn't make any mention of anything positive I said. And you always seem to focus on the negative opinions posted on the boards.

nibblesandbits

It is an importance stance with me, but you didn't make any mention of anything positive I said. And you always seem to focus on the negative opinions posted on the boards.

Boys! Boys!!! No fighting!!! Don't make me break out my whip!!! :lookaroun

dxwwf3

There's no fighting. We have this sort of weird board relationship. Nobody ever gets mad. He frustrates the heck out of me sometimes (and I'm sure vice versa), but nothing ever gets personal and it never gets heated.

dxwwf3

Recent Additions/Upgrades:

Pirates Upgrade: Focused on the movie fans...predominately teens and up.
Stitch: For the kids, (could have been for whole family)but poorly executed.
Philharmagic: For everyone, but appreciated by us older folks.
Pooh's Playful Spot: At first glance, it's for kids, but Disney has plans for the huge hole they just filled up...most likely, it will be a height restricted ride.
The Laugh Floor: Potentially could be enjoyed by all.
Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin:Easily can be enjoyed by all.

I was getting ready to ask you to make a list like this.

Pirates isn't really an "addition" but it is definitely a step in the right direction. Philharmagic is usually enjoyed by everyone equally. And Buzz is hardly a recent addition.

You're being quite liberal with the Playful Spot description :lol: But I sure hope you're right. As it stands now, this is a kid ONLY attraction and that's fine, but let's not make it something it isn't yet.

After listening to a preview of The Laugh Floor I believe it will more for kids than Turtle Talk, but I did like what I heard all things considering. I'm not sure non-Disney fan 20/30 year olds will think much of it (where TT is popular among this group), but I enjoyed what I heard.

You're also forgetting the new live entertainment added that is mainly kid focused. What about the reduced openings for Carousel of Progress? What about the increase of meet and greets added sometimes at the expense of entertainment aimed at the older crowd?

EpcotServo

Can we all just get past the fighting and focus on what's really important: Previews! Updates on when there's a chance to get on? new reviews? When full scale previews will start? inside scoops? Anything!?!?

wannab@dis

I'm sorry... I didnt' know that I had to post "I agree" or " :sohappy: " after every sentence that's written so I make "mention of anything positive." Take a look at post #127... it was highlighting a positive. But since it's important, let me repost my reply for you. :p

dxwwf3 said:
While I'm with EpcotGuy82 on just about everything
That's not really a positive... :lol: :p

dxwwf3 said:
I do think there is still plenty to offer for people my age. Just because one park continues to ignore the 20-30 year olds, doesn't mean fun can't be had at the resort and even STILL at that previously mentioned Magic Kingdom.

See above...

dxwwf3 said:
Disney's quality is still unsurpassed and there is more to do at WDW than probably anywhere else on the planet.
:sohappy: I agree
dxwwf3 said:
I do think that in certain instances quality has slipped, but it isn't the norm and nothing is perfect. I am glad that people to complain when certain things aren't up to par because Disney has a great reputation for trying to make things better. But there is always more good than bad going on. Much more good.
There's a BIG difference between constructive criticism and constantly complaining. There was some problematic times around 2002 but you also have to realize they did pretty good job. My wife's first visit was 2002 and she thought it was awesome. Never noticed any of the deteriating that some claim.

dxwwf3 said:
I helped plan out a honeymoon for two of my college friends and they were both blown away with the place. They are already talking about their trip in 2008. Was the Magic Kingdom their least favorite of the 4 parks? Yes it was to be honest. But did they enjoy the MK? You bet. They really enjoyed Downtown Disney and wish they had about 3 or 4 days to spend at Epcot.

So I gotta go with nibbles on this one.
:sohappy: Most people I know that go without kids love the whole package. They also have a blast when they take their kids. It's a FAMILY vacation like no other.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom