Monsters Inc Laugh Floor Concept Art

DisneyWorld30th

Original Poster
Just found this on the new Disney Parks site:

This is concept Art for the upcoming Monsters Inc show at the Magic Kingdom!

comedy_club.jpg

Connor002

Hmm... I will admit I am becoming a bit pessimistic about this, but I'll still try to reserve judgment. Still an interesting concept, though...

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Hmmm...

Looks to me to be yet another "video screen" attraction.

:lookaroun

Possibly, but why would you have par cans in the concept art. Par cans would suggest live or AA performance.

Meh, I'm starting to have my doubts about this when the main focus of the concept art is the lighting. :lookaroun

I really don't see where the lighting is the main focus .:veryconfu

GymLeaderPhil

I really don't see where the lighting is the main focus .:veryconfu
Count all of the lighting fixtures. Include the stars gobos. About 25 including those covered by the watermark in the left hand corner of the image. I can see how the light will be important to the story perhaps since laughter powers those lights, but overkill is the word here... I mean they draw concept art of the setting, but reuse animation from the movie? What's the real focus for this piece of art? Not the story, apparently.

imagineer boy

Hmmm... not too excited by the art either. I know I've been negative about this from the get-go, but I tried to be open minded when I looked at the concept art, and I'm afraid I'm not that impressed. I will reserve complete judgement of the whole thing when it opens ofcourse. But for now, it looks like we may have a new SGE on our hands.

wannab@dis

Hmmm...

Looks to me to be yet another "video screen" attraction.

:lookaroun

Yep...that's been known for a while -- similar to Turtle Talk. And really looking forward to seeing it!

Count all of the lighting fixtures. Include the stars gobos. About 25 including those covered by the watermark in the left hand corner of the image. I can see how the light will be important to the story perhaps since laughter powers those lights, but overkill is the word here... I mean they draw concept art of the setting, but reuse animation from the movie? What's the real focus for this piece of art? Not the story, apparently.

This doesn't appear to be "concept art" at all to me. Looks more like a teaser image. The OP didn't give a link, but I'm betting the context of the image is part of a teaser area for the new attraction.

Whether teaser or concept, the lights are not the focus. As with any "stage" show... there's dozens of lights used in a production. They appear to be placed as part of normal stage lighting.

wannab@dis

Hmmm... not too excited by the art either. I know I've been negative about this from the get-go, but I tried to be open minded when I looked at the concept art, and I'm afraid I'm not that impressed. I will reserve complete judgement of the whole thing when it opens ofcourse. But for now, it looks like we may have a new SGE on our hands.
Why?

You know NOTHING about the attraction... pre-judged it from day one... and you have NEVER been open minded about it. There's absolutely no reason to think it's going to be a bad attraction.

GymLeaderPhil

Whether teaser or concept, the lights are not the focus. As with any "stage" show... there's dozens of lights used in a production. They appear to be placed as part of normal stage lighting.
It's like showing the machines used to create the Finding Nemo characters in the Living Seas or Sub Lagoon for concept art. I don't think the majority of park guests walk out of an attraction and have a discussion about how amazing the lighting was. It's the story and if they're going to release a design based image like that about a show, I can only assume that the focus so far has been on the design. JMHO though, nothing screams excitement than knowing that the theater will be properly lit with stage lighting.

CaptainMichael

Last time I checked, stage shows HAVE LIGHTING. Don't people always complain about "budget cuts" and lack of "theming"? This concept art shows a pretty good rendering of a stage. I can't wait to see this attraction.

wannab@dis

GymLeaderPhil said:
It's like showing the machines used to create the Finding Nemo characters in the Living Seas or Sub Lagoon for concept art. I don't think the majority of park guests walk out of an attraction and have a discussion about how amazing the lighting was. It's the story and if they're going to release a design based image like that about a show, I can only assume that the focus so far has been on the design. JMHO though, nothing screams excitement than knowing that the theater will be properly lit with stage lighting.

Have you seen Monster's Inc? You do realize the movie is about producing energy... lights need energy and it will be made with laughs. Mike is at the top right with some "holding mechanism" and appears to be turning on some lights. Appears to me that the focus is exactly what the focus of the movie was about... creating and using energy.

It's simply a picture... nothing to be so negative about.

imagineer boy

wannab@dis said:
Why?

You know NOTHING about the attraction... pre-judged it from day one... and you have NEVER been open minded about it. There's absolutely no reason to think it's going to be a bad attraction.

SO FAR I don't like it. Even if I had liked the concept of the attraction in the first place, I still probably wouldn't be that excited of the concept art. I still could be proven wrong, the ride could be great, but from what I'm seeing, I'm not too wild about it.

Epcot82Guy

I think it looks like a great concept and attraction, but in ENTIRELY the wrong location. Both the connection (i.e. lack thereof that is becoming more and more aparent) to TL and the proximity to SGE say that to me. I think this would have been a spectacular replacement for Sounds Dangerous.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom