Monsters, Inc. Hollywood Studios rumor

DisneyparkFreak

I dont know about Avatar... Is it not correct that the announcement caught WDI off guard? Everything would still be bluesky for that project. I would highly doubt a coaster design has already been drawn, tested, approved and sent for fabrication. Unless the announcement didnt catch them off guard and they already had stuff in the pipeline ready to go.

***I just want to remind everyone that my friend stated that his company was only working on portions of the track system and not the whole thing***

Lee

Adventurer
I dont know about Avatar... Is it not correct that the announcement caught WDI off guard? Everything would still be bluesky for that project. I would highly doubt a coaster design has already been drawn, tested, approved and sent for fabrication. Unless the announcement didnt catch them off guard and they already had stuff in the pipeline ready to go.

***I just want to remind everyone that my friend stated that his company was only working on portions of the track system and not the whole thing***

Agreed.
98.57439% sure it isn't Disney related.
100% it isn't Avatar.

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
IF it is an S&S Freefly then you can nearly guarantee it is going to an established name. A run of the mill carny style park could not afford one. Keep in mind that there is not one in the US as of right now. This a big bill to be footed if it is one but would have a great return.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Sansei Yusoki seems to be Disney favorite company right now! They're a japanese company that was used at first only by Tokyo Disney and now they are used stateside. They built the track for the 3 Buzz Lightyear rides at DL, HKDL and TDL. They also from what I heard built the impressive cars on the Toy Story Mania! and Monsters Inc TDL. They even did a rollercoaster for Tokyo Disney Sea, Raging Spirits..

I thought the was another Intamin, cloned from DLP?

lazyboy97o

I thought the was another Intamin, cloned from DLP?
For Raging Spirits, RCDB listed the Make / Model as Intamin and the Builder as Sansei Yusoki, but Giovanola as the Subcontractor for Indiana Jones et le Temple du Péril.

I know Giovanola did fabrication, something I believe Sansei Yusoki also does, but I am unsure of what, if any, distinction is intended by RCDB by the different terms "Builder" and "Subcontractor."

http://rcdb.com/2424.htm
http://rcdb.com/957.htm

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I thought Raging spirits (the ride not the poster) was an off the shelf ride that was cosmetically enhanced (lipstick on a pig).

Me too. It's the same design as DLPs, a rush job over winter 92 to take pressure off summer 93 before Space Mountain opened 2 years later. Only an off the shelf would work in the 8 month time frame.

stitch2008

Agreed.
98.57439% sure it isn't Disney related.
100% it isn't Avatar.

I am going to take a big step here. But I'm 90% sure this is for Disney. I really think its time to get your hopes up and get excited about this. Cause it sounds like this could really be Monsters Inc. for sure.

I follow the coaster industry pretty darn close and I'm pretty sure no one else in Orlando is expected to be getting a suspended coaster other then DHS that I know of. The only thing it could POSSIBLY be is the suggested steel coaster opening at Fun Spot. But that supposed to open in Feb next year. The OP said the order was due in the next 24 months. To open in 2013, the order would have to be done and shipped well before then.

I think the 24 month time frame is really screaming Monster Inc and S&S could have their first big time coaster client in years. I know for a fact that S&S has been begging US parks to take a look at their products. But everyone has really just wanted their towers and screamin swings. A free fly would really be a neat addition and be totally different then most suspended coasters. The ride experience is so different with the way the cars spin over the track. Itd be really something.

nepalostparks

I am very impressed with the amount of knowledge of roller coaster design/construction firms in this thread!

Impressive amount of information on this thread for what is really a very behind the scenes subject.

This is one of the most fun threads to be reading and discussing in awhile for the very reason it combines knowledge both in and out of the Disney circle.

Sorry, geeking out for a minute as an amusement park history and design guy.

(Back to your regularly scheduled thread :lol:)

lazyboy97o

I thought Raging spirits (the ride not the poster) was an off the shelf ride that was cosmetically enhanced (lipstick on a pig).
Me too. It's the same design as DLPs, a rush job over winter 92 to take pressure off summer 93 before Space Mountain opened 2 years later. Only an off the shelf would work in the 8 month time frame.
As far as being Intamin coasters they are not off-the-shelf, but they are a copy of the layout of an old Pinfari off-the-shelf coaster. I believe there are slight differences between the original Pinfari design and even between the two coasters.

stitch2008

Just checked with another one of friends who knows more about S&S then I do. I told him about the whole situation and he says this track may be destined for WDW. Says he cant figure out who else it could be. The rumor going around recently is that Funspot bought an SBNO steel coaster and plan to move it there. He says all the signs are there.

Lee

Adventurer
As far as being Intamin coasters they are not off-the-shelf, but they are a copy of the layout of an old Pinfari off-the-shelf coaster. I believe there are slight differences between the original Pinfari design and even between the two coasters.

As far as I know, both Temple of Peril and Raging Spirits are basically the same coaster with different theming. Any differences are pretty minor.

The layout for both are based on, but far from identical to, the Pinfari TL-59 portable coaster, seen here:
kon1k6h10ic123800dgl1b.jpg

Intamin copied the basic layout, with some changes, for ToP and of course used their own track and support designs.

Shame a certain (seldom seen for the past few years) poster around here isn't helping out, as he most certainly could...:lookaroun

As for MI...none of my sources at WDI, who I would expect to tip me off if the project ever got to the point of ordering track, has mentioned anything at all about the project being dusted off. Been all quiet on the MI front for quite a while...

EDIT: Just confirmed with a few (more than one, less than five) sources that MI is not currently in any active stage of development. It's still gathering dust on the shelf. Whatever this is...it ain't that.

stitch2008

Im still gonna roll with this. IF this order is true, then WDW is really the logical place. SeaWorld is getting a dark ride, what Potter love is coming is believed to be from Priemer(if im not mistaken), Fun Spot bought an existing coaster, and Busch Gardens Tampa Bay is supposed to get a Drop Tower in 2013 like Mach Tower at BGW.

It might not be for Monsters, but until something changes, I believe its for WDW.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom