Monsters Inc coaster greenlit and Spain coming to world showcase?!?

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
*grumble* I'd still rather have Ireland.
I think Ireland would be a lot of fun. If I were to Armchair Imagineer new WS pavillions, and money was no object, I'd love to see:
--Brazil (especially after re-watching Three Caballeros / Saludos Amigos this weekend)
--Russia
--Ireland
--Australia (actually, rather have it as a land in AK, but would take it here)
--India
-- Egypt

Tom

Beta Return
I think I read in one of the Disney books (Hidden Magic of WDW) that there was enough room for 7 more pavillions in WS. Not sure how correct that number is, but it seems that there is plenty of space to expand.

That must have been a really old book :p

Take a look at satellite imagery on bing or google maps. You can see the spaces between a few of the pavilions. Some are decently sized while others would be very cramped if built.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
That must have been a really old book :p

Take a look at satellite imagery on bing or google maps. You can see the spaces between a few of the pavilions. Some are decently sized while others would be very cramped if built.
Not too old. Looks like it was publised in 2009:
"The Hidden Magic of Walt Disney World: Over 600 Secrets of the Magic Kingdom, Epcot, Disney's Hollywood Studios, and Animal Kingdom" by Susan Veness

Since I dont think it's "official" from Disney or like Birnbaum, I never fully take what it says as 100% truth.

Since I'm fairly new, I'm not sure what the protocol is to linking to other sites, but I found this:
http://www.yesterland.com/worldshowcase.html

UnrealFire

"The Hidden Magic of Walt Disney World: Over 600 Secrets of the Magic Kingdom, Epcot, Disney's Hollywood Studios, and Animal Kingdom" by Susan Veness

Since I dont think it's "official" from Disney or like Birnbaum, I never fully take what it says as 100% truth.

Since I'm fairly new, I'm not sure what the protocol is to linking to other sites, but I found this:

I read "Hidden Magic" twice and, unfortunately, most of the information is no longer true or is now inaccurate. I know that the author did a lot of research but I think of a lot of the book is written as the Imagineers may have intended rather than what is actually the case in the current state of the parks.

Tom

Beta Return

Wow. I never would have imagined those 8 plots of land being available while looking at it from above. Very cramped spaces.

Cool find though. I've never seen that site.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Wow. I never would have imagined those 8 plots of land being available while looking at it from above. Very cramped spaces.

I agree. For example, those areas on either side of the UK pavilion are not large at all....

And I would wonder just how much money even a country like Brazil would have to ante up right now, considering they're putting efforts into the World Cup and Olympic venues. Same for those businesses in that country as well....

Mansion Butler

I think I read in one of the Disney books (Hidden Magic of WDW) that there was enough room for 7 more pavillions in WS. Not sure how correct that number is, but it seems that there is plenty of space to expand.
Eight, actually. But two are taken up by the World ShowPlace Pavilion thing and one is taken up by the Outpost. Not that either of those couldn't be moved, but they could keep them AND add multiple countries if it ever behooved them to do so.

dreamfinder

As far as financing goes, I understand that the host countries generally play no role in supporting their pavilions and their CMs. I think Norway might be the only one at the moment. I'm not sure if Disney pays the CMs at Napoli, since it's owned and operated by the Patina restaurant group, who presumably shares revenue with Disney. Italy, the country, definitely does not pay them. Someone please jump in if you know more -- I'm curious about the economic arrangements of WS myself.

I am fairly certain Norway no longer has any influence on their pavilion. This is why Akershus is now princesses. Several pavilions were initially funded by companies/organizations within the country. I think Norway was the Norwegian travel board or some such, hence the movie after the ride. Kinda a "Come Visit Norway" deal. But once their contract was up, WDW is free to do what they want. The same way that GM/HP sponsor their pavilions, as long as they pay Disney to maintain/upgrade, they have some say in how it is run. But once the sponsor pulls out, Disney can do what they want. I was also under the impression that Morocco was the only government to directly sponsor their pavilion. Something to do with countries not allowed to directly fund "permanent world fair" type locations if they want to participate in the real World's Fair. Or something like that.

On a trip with my parents to Epcot when I was little like in the early 90's...we were eating in France and one of the CM's also told my parents that the CM's from other nations working in Epcot, work and live in the US for a year and then return home.

My understanding is that is still the case. WDW wants to have an "authentic" experience for guests. They are concerned that if CM's stay to long in the US, they will become Americanized and no longer reflect the country as it currently is. (That, or WDW doesn't want to deal with long term work visas) If the CM wants to continue working at WDW, they can, but will be moved to somewhere other than their World Showcase country.

Mansion Butler

I think Ireland would be a lot of fun. If I were to Armchair Imagineer new WS pavillions, and money was no object, I'd love to see:
--Brazil (especially after re-watching Three Caballeros / Saludos Amigos this weekend)
--Russia
--Ireland
--Australia (actually, rather have it as a land in AK, but would take it here)
--India
-- Egypt
I thought about making a thread like this once, asking what eight countries you'd add if you were giving the choosing power. I got in to that conversation with friends and had a lot of trouble coming up with eight.

Brazil and Greece made sense to me immediately. Maybe bring back the idea of Switzerland and a western Matterhorn.

I agree that Australia would be best served as a country in Animal Kingdom.

Also, sorry for posting the same link you did after you did. :lol:

Mansion Butler

They're full of things that could be moved elsewhere. Break room and storage sheds wouldn't stand in the way of adding another pavilion if Disney decided it would make them some money.

Mansion Butler

My understanding is that is still the case. WDW wants to have an "authentic" experience for guests. They are concerned that if CM's stay to long in the US, they will become Americanized and no longer reflect the country as it currently is. (That, or WDW doesn't want to deal with long term work visas) If the CM wants to continue working at WDW, they can, but will be moved to somewhere other than their World Showcase country.
Well, it's mostly just that the International College Program gives them a really easy way of staffing the pavilions.

Tom

Beta Return
I also always thought that UK and France were on either side of the International Gateway as a symbol of the English Channel - but that could very likely be an urban legend created by tour guides and trivia book writers after the situation presented itself.

I also don't foresee them putting anything in "Spot 2" simply because they'd lose their nice work area for the Illuminations marina.

yekcoh_99

I know I'm new here and probably will get blasted but I just don't understand... everytime someone says Disney might do this or they might do that you (edwardtc) have to shoot them down. Like your the one only Disney source, it's getting really old. If you have something good to add great but there really is no need to try and prove everyone wrong about everything.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom