News Monster Inc Land Coming to Disney's Hollywood Studios

Sorcerer Mickey

2 years since Dinoland was announced to close, 1 year since Tropical Americas was announced. Not to be confused with 3 years

If Monsters is supposed to start construction next year, this is the first and only D23 they could announce Monsters. Same with Cars and potentially Villains. Especially if they have to announce the demolition of an attraction
I never said three years. The last three D23 events - 2022, 2023, and now 2024.

I hate to bring them in to this, but Universal demos attractions and doesn't announce a replacement until later. I'd say that method helps build the hype.

Sneaky

It is so frustrating that for anything new at WDW something guest facing has to be torn down.

They have an expansion pad next to RNR with access to Sunset that could easily be used.
AC is a wasteland. It’s good that it is going. And I’m sure that space will be used soon. I do wonder what happens to the old mgm studio arch potentially. Knocked down?

Gusey

I hate to bring them in to this, but Universal demos attractions and doesn't announce a replacement until later. I'd say that method helps build the hype.
Didn't say that you said 3 years. I said that 3 D23s shouldn't be confused for 3 years, especially as it's only been a year since the words "Tropical Americas" were mentioned by Disney
The only issue with Universal's approach is when they close an attraction before their ready for construction. Sinbad and Poseidon could probably still be operating if Universal hadn't kept changing their mind about a replacement
Yet, Disney does have a habit of announcing projects too in advance, but a year before construction isn't too bad for Monsters. I think this year's D23 was also them announcing most of their plans for the next 5 years as their "unofficial response" to Universal (Epic, Texas, UK?) The next D23 in 2026 would probable have more details on what was announced rather than have many new announcements.

trainplane3

I don’t know. It could easily share a kitchen with a Harryhausen’s (unless they don’t think the park needs a new TSR and just convert it and rework the entrance).
Actually what of Club 33? That's part of both buildings since it was the Catwalk Bar. Obviously it's not going away but C33 in the middle would probably make construction interesting.

Purduevian

I believe they’ve settled on AC with Disney, Jr. being demolished. But, I’d like further confirmation.
I wonder if they will leave Mermaid and OMD dumping out into Monstropolis or somehow rework the exits of both:

1726509524565.png

Rhinocerous

Premium Member
AC is a wasteland. It’s good that it is going. And I’m sure that space will be used soon. I do wonder what happens to the old mgm studio arch potentially. Knocked down?
Thematically, there has to be an entrance into the Monster world. The logical move would be to convert the arch into some kind of massive industrial doorway. I envision it as a set of open sci-fi blast doors, but they may well have a different aesthetic in mind.

Sneaky

Thematically, there has to be an entrance into the Monster world. The logical move would be to convert the arch into some kind of massive industrial doorway. I envision it as a set of open sci-fi blast doors, but they may well have a different aesthetic in mind.
Maybe? I was also thinking the whole “factory” would act as a “weenie” to draw people in. Still crazy how much of mgm is gone and will soon be gone too. This park really is Abe Lincoln’s hatchet in a sense

doctornick

It is so frustrating that for anything new at WDW something guest facing has to be torn down.

There is a CM dining area in the Disney Jr/Brown Derby building that would likely be re-purposed to on stage and for guests if Monsters goes in that area. It would need to be replaced by a similar venue backstage to support the CMs but that would IMHO be a reasonable use of that building/space even if it might also involve re-purposing the Disney Jr space.

doctornick

It’s only a wasteland because Disney let it become a wasteland though.

That area should be tied into one man’s dream and be a large animation experience similar to the one in California with the drawing academy etc.

But yes, as it is now, we are losing nothing.

That's kind of what it was back when what is now Launch Bay was the Animation building. It definitely had the animation drawing session and they had a video about animation. I think maybe some of the other stuff was there too.

I would be happy to have that stuff back in DHS, but the location for Launch Bay is a roadblock and the entire building (including the offices) needs to come down. That should be the priority. If they can get some sort of animation experience back in the park as well, I'm all for it.

celluloid

It for sure does. It also let's you know there are definite plans instead of promising something coming with potential of not happening.

UNCgolf

That's kind of what it was back when what is now Launch Bay was the Animation building. It definitely had the animation drawing session and they had a video about animation. I think maybe some of the other stuff was there too.

I would be happy to have that stuff back in DHS, but the location for Launch Bay is a roadblock and the entire building (including the offices) needs to come down. That should be the priority. If they can get some sort of animation experience back in the park as well, I'm all for it.

Originally you could actually see animators at work on Disney films. I remember they were working on Mulan when I was there sometime in the mid-1990s.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom