Monorails looking aged.

goodanu

Original Poster
Just got back and was disapointed with the conditions of the monorail trains. While I still love riding them, it is somewhat sad to see the condition that the trains are in. Though there is nomajor items that I noticed, just a lot of little things. I really don't want to seem picky so I'm not going to list them. I guess that I am just hoping that the fleet will someday get an upgrade of some sort.

luv

They do, don't they? They could use some love. :)

Some of the trams are practically on life support. The outsides are fine, but the insides are getting ripped up and pretty dirty.

But I'd rather ride on the somewhat icky tram than walk. :)

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Well, I would like to find SOMETHING that is 40+ years old that hasn't aged! I must've had one of the better trains because mine was smooth, clean, yet somewhat smelly...;)
As mentioned, the trains themselves were only delivered in 1989-91. It's the upkeep of them the past decade that's let them age fast.

Kramerica

It would be pretty difficult to keep those things looking new. Imagine having to carpool thousands of your friends 15 hours a day every day and keep your car clean.. Still though. I agree.. They need to keep up that Disney image.

Californian Elitist

The WDW Monorails look outdated when compared to DL's.

WDW:

monorail.jpg

DL:

4013193130_9f7e588e11.jpg

The Empress Lilly

It would be pretty difficult to keep those things looking new. Imagine having to carpool thousands of your friends 15 hours a day every day and keep your car clean..
If thousands of people carpool in my car, then it would be difficult to maintain my car with me cleaning it every saturday afternoon. But that is a logical fallacy. Because with thousands using my car, I can pay dozens of people to maintain it.

The size of Disney is not a cause for maintanance problems: the very size means WDW could theoretically run an even more efficient maintanance program than a smaller resort.

Me, I could decide not to employ those dozens of people to maintain my car and pocket their wage myself. This is the poblem at WDW too. A clever manager cuts back on maintenance, so in the short term profits go up, the manager gets promoted, and the mess is for the next person. It's the same lack of long term incentives that plague so much of Western corporate culture.

puntagordabob

Well, I would like to find SOMETHING that is 40+ years old that hasn't aged! I must've had one of the better trains because mine was smooth, clean, yet somewhat smelly...;)

LOL they are only like 20 or so years old... so if you think they looked good for 40 that sorta makes the OPs point. :(

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
The problem with the DL monorail is that the old model looked quaint, lovely classic futuristic. It was great. But the new one looks fake, a modern take on 1959 futurism. I think it looks a bit silly.

I will agree with this. While the new DL ones look like a spin of 1950s sci-fi they should have stayed as 1950s sci-fi theory. WDW's with a new spin would have a better route.

Californian Elitist

I'd disagree since that's a matter of taste.

The MK VI still looks futuristic IMHO - with no wraps on. The Mark VII was designed to look retro future to invoke memories of the Mark II and III.

I think the WDW monorails look vastly more futuristic. Authentic too.

The problem with the DL monorail is that the old model looked quaint, lovely classic futuristic. It was great. But the new one looks fake, a modern take on 1959 futurism. I think it looks a bit silly.

The point I was trying to make wasn't at all about which Monorail was more futuristic. The point I was trying to make is you can easily tell the last time the WDW Monorails were updated, looks wise, was somewhere in the 80's or the 90's, when compared to Disneyland. That's what I meant by my comment.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom