Monorail Update January 2015

chiefs11

I can't 100% picture the platform inside the Contemporary at the moment, but is there even the necessary infrastructure attached to the express beam (full platform / elevators / stairs)?

Why wouldn't there be? The monorails haven't always been "Resort" and "Express". They both used to just stop everywhere. I can't imagine they'd have to do more then reconfigure the railings.

edit: This may have been only during certain hours, but I definitely remember using the outer platform at Polynesian a few times to go towards the Contemporary.

Last edited:

MaryJaneP

The Poly and GF have stair access only for the express platforms.

Not sure if we missed something here since resort beam apparently would work for all monorail resorts EXCEPT Contemporary (during repair work in CR). Thus Contemporary alone, which has elevator and escalator access to loading platform that also is next to Express beam, could be relegated to services by a hybrid Express+Contemporary monorail. To us, this potential hybrid seems unneeded as there is a walkway that is infinitely quicker than any monorail to/from MK. Monorail from TTC to Epcot can be accessed by CR guests from MK if no hybrid. Boats and buses everywhere else.

Last edited:

jcldtrek

I've been on the vegas monorail and its the newer fleet and honestly they are jerky and don't ride well compared to disney worlds fleet. Of course I'm sure maybe the vegas ones don't have all the bells and whistles due to budgets prob, its just an eye opener on how the two systems compare. sometimes older is better

PirateFrank

Not sure if we missed something here since resort beam apparently would work for all monorail resorts EXCEPT Contemporary (during repair work in CR). Thus Contemporary alone, which has elevator and escalator access to loading platform that also is next to Express beam, could be relegated to services by a hybrid Express+Contemporary monorail. To us, this potential hybrid seems unneeded as there is a walkway that is infinitely quicker than any monorail to/from MK. Monorail from TTC to Epcot can be accessed by CR guests from MK if no hybrid. Boats and buses everywhere else.

Im not sure "infinitely quicker" is accurate. Are there times when getting to the MK is faster than getting a mono from the resort to the MK? Absolutely. However, there have been plenty of times that I walked into the station at the contemporary and got to the MK in about as much time as it would have taken me to walk to the contemporary bus stop. I'll also argue that after a long day at the MK, when your feet hurt, you're carrying an exhausted child on your shoulders -- the last thing you want to do is hoof it back to the resort.

However, the real convenience is getting to other locations on the resort loop or epcot. No one can argue that the monorail is a far less efficient way of getting around the resort loop than the boats or the buses.

I suspect if these repairs take some time -- you will see guests start to really push back at the contemporary staff. $600/night, where one of the main draws is a resort on the monorail line -- and without warning, the line closes down to these guests for an undisclosed amount of time? I'd be po'ed too....

Figment2005

Im not sure "infinitely quicker" is accurate. Are there times when getting to the MK is faster than getting a mono from the resort to the MK? Absolutely. However, there have been plenty of times that I walked into the station at the contemporary and got to the MK in about as much time as it would have taken me to walk to the contemporary bus stop. I'll also argue that after a long day at the MK, when your feet hurt, you're carrying an exhausted child on your shoulders -- the last thing you want to do is hoof it back to the resort.

However, the real convenience is getting to other locations on the resort loop or epcot. No one can argue that the monorail is a far less efficient way of getting around the resort loop than the boats or the buses.

I suspect if these repairs take some time -- you will see guests start to really push back at the contemporary staff. $600/night, where one of the main draws is a resort on the monorail line -- and without warning, the line closes down to these guests for an undisclosed amount of time? I'd be po'ed too....
There is always push back, regardless of duration. However, its happening and there isn't a thing we can do about it

s8film40

What would Bombardier have charged for a new next-generation automated fleet versus what Disney is currently stuck paying Thales (plus all the internal upgrade and rehab work)?

Who knows?

Thales is the company that Bombardier contracts to do their automation projects. Thales would be involved either way. As for the cost of all new trains it would depend on the number of trains ordered and a whole bunch of different variables, but based on Bombardier's other projects right now it would be a significantly smaller order to replace WDW monorails. I think that could contribute to it not being cost effective, of course if they were looking to expand the system they could work it into that project and reduce costs.

PhilharMagician

I am not sure how since you have 3 stops before you hit the MK station. With the hold time for the load and unload at each station would make it difficult to beat a pedestrian even if the train was loading when you go up to the platform. Last time we were there my wife and daughter decided to take the monorail from MK to the CR and I walked. They loaded just as they got to the MK station and I beat them to the concourse in the CR just by walking and they did not have any stops.

BTW the Contemporary bus stop would take no more time to reach than the platform for the monorail.

Now if they switch to the Express loop to take CR guests to the MK than you just may beat someone walking, but the timing would have to be nearly perfect. It would really stink for CR guests that do not or cannot walk between the CR and MK specially in the morning when the Mono's are full. They would probably not get a seat unless they reserved one or two cabs for a short time until the rush was done.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

[/SARC]
It's Disney you should be GRATEFUL for the opportunity to spend 600/Night with the major amenity removed.

[/SARC OFF]

steve2wdw

WDW Fan Since 1973
no i do not believe there is infrastructure to allow the express beam to unload there.
filename-mg-4567-jpg.jpg

NVM, it could be done, but would require removal of the queue sections to allow proper traffic flow onto/off of the train
During the Destination D: Disney Rewind event at the Contemporary in November, the Express Train stopped for pickup to the MK during the 2 hour lunch break. There were hundreds in line for the monorail during the break, which is why, I assumed, that they were doing this. They simply opened two gates in the queue, along the express beam. I believe only two trains stopped and the backlog of guests was gone. This was truly the best guest service I've seen at WDW in years.

Last edited:

asianway

During the Destination D: Disney Rewind event at the Contemporary in November, the Express Train stopped for pickup to the MK during the 2 hour lunch break. There were hundreds in line for the monorail during the break, which is why, I assumed, that they were doing this. They simply opened two gates in the queue, along the express beam. I believe only two trains stopped and the backlog of guests was gone. This was truly the best guest service I've seen at WDW in years.
Curious did it stop on the north or south side of the concourse? I'd heard the procedure changed slightly

natatomic

Has there been any update regarding when the repairs to the contemporary will commence?
Also, will the express mono stop at the contemporary instead of the resort monos or does it just mean that there will be no monorails stopping at the hotel and everything will be buses?
From what I've heard, express will be stopping in the contemporary.

Also, the pilots will be driving the shuttle monorail from one cab, so they will be in reverse (with a spotter in the other cab) for one direction. Since there will be no other monorails on that beam, I think they've decided it will be safe.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom