Monorail to be wrapped once again

lebeau

Or just emphasizes just how the acquisition was driven by other opportunities with Marvel... besides theme parks.

Theme parks were so far down on the list, I'm not sure they qualify as an after-thought.

The reason for the Marvel acquisition was stuff like Disney XD's new Marvel Universe block which premiered this past weekend. Wonder what the ratings for that were like.

(For those interested, Marvel Universe was not nearly as well-executed as Cartoon Network's DC Nation. In fact, it reeked of copy-cat-itis.)

Whether or not the acquisition was a good idea won't be known for a long time. But theme parks really aren't part of that equation. Not in any meaningful way.

celluloid

Or just emphasizes just how the acquisition was driven by other opportunities with Marvel... besides theme parks.

Exactly. Thanks for making it clear.

The big items are The stream of movies right now as well as the comics/merchandise and television. That is where they are going to earn their billions back. Theme Parks are a part of that but probably the smallest chunk. They are just good service for merchandise and character loyalty. Since Universal has the rights to use the characters, Disney is just happy with the merch.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
I see them running through the Magic Kingdom monorail, and to say they are not in the theme park is ridiculous.

Jimmy Thick-Face it, Disney will push and push and push...

Talk to the lawyers. Unless you define all of WDW as "theme park", I suspect Disney would prevail. For exmaple, it would certainly be OK to advertise in DtD for the movie, wouldn't it? I mean, there's a movie theater there. So why not elsewhere on property? I'm not a lawyer, but I've seen enough contract disputes to know that there is a big difference between just outside the MK, and within the gates. The latter would be a clear violation of the "theme park" provisions, while the former is at most debatable. To say it isn't a violation is certainly not "ridiculous".

I suspect that Disney will push and push, though - I agree on that.

So the SEC is making false claims?

If so, must be a new policy since I stopped working there. :lol:

Sorry, Jimmy. The contract says what it says. It talks about theme parks. It's clear that inside the MK would be a violation of that clause. It is certainly not clear that outside the MK but on property is a violation. So Disney's use of the characters on the MK monorail is proof of nothing other than Disney believing that there is at least a good case to be made that the TTC and the Seven Seas Lagoon aren't part of a theme park.

rpk4444

The Monorail looks cool but, how hot inside will a black monorail be inside in the heat of the summer? I hope that it's stripped back to white & red before July and August.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
The Monorail looks cool but, how hot inside will a black monorail be inside in the heat of the summer? I hope that it's stripped back to white & red before July and August.

probably cooler than the rest of the monorails because the wrap covers the windows too

lazyboy97o

Having just returned from seeing The Avengers, the wrap just seems even more pointless. Despite the rumors, there is almost no indication that this film was at all associated with The Walt Disney Company. The only mention of Disney came in the form of a line of text after the post-credits scene noting that the film was distributed by Walt Disney Pictures.

Gregoryp73

Having just returned from seeing The Avengers, the wrap just seems even more pointless. Despite the rumors, there is almost no indication that this film was at all associated with The Walt Disney Company. The only mention of Disney came in the form of a line of text after the post-credits scene noting that the film was distributed by Walt Disney Pictures.

Doesn't matter what name is on credits, just matter what name is on the check :)

RSoxNo1

Much in the same way that Pixar is Disney, Marvel is Disney now. I too noticed that the only credit for Disney Studios was at the end of the credits but as long as they're getting a check it doesn't matter.

I actually think that John Carter may have done better if it was released under Touchstone, but we'll never know.

jensenrick

It may do well. I don't particularly like Marvel characters, but it looks like it has some potential ... but with Dark Night coming out one has to be realistic about the super hero film that most geeks (and non-geeks) want to see. This isn't going to lose money, but it isn't going to be a mega-blockbuster either

Sorry, but that's so wrong. Avengers is a mega-blockbuster, maybe THE mega-blockbuster of the year.
I think Batman is gonna be crying.

njDizFan

Much in the same way that Pixar is Disney, Marvel is Disney now. I too noticed that the only credit for Disney Studios was at the end of the credits but as long as they're getting a check it doesn't matter.

I actually think that John Carter may have done better if it was released under Touchstone, but we'll never know.
I think Disney would be smart just to be the silent parent company in these Marvel deals. The demographic that would really be into these films are probably not huge Disney fans and would associate TWDC as kiddie or G rated fair.

If you visited any comic book forums when this deal was announced the outrage was akin to WDW closing PI, Broken Yeti, BAH, Adventurers club, Avatarland threads all combined

WDWmazprty

I think Disney would be smart just to be the silent parent company in these Marvel deals. The demographic that would really be into these films are probably not huge Disney fans and would associate TWDC as kiddie or G rated fair.

If you visited any comic book forums when this deal was announced the outrage was akin to WDW closing PI, Broken Yeti, BAH, Adventurers club, Avatarland threads all combined

Well, the thing is if they weren't Disney fans before, a lot of them will become Disney fans. I heard a lot of people say while I was at the theater this weekend "Well, Disney is involved with Marvel now so you know it has to be good if Disney has a hand in it." And this ws at the midnight show where mostly everyone there are big time Marvel fans.

So, the demographic I think will actually change slowly because of the acquisition and just make Disney do that much better. :D

GOT2SAMMIES

Hi:)
I was wondering if anyone has heard anything about the Avenger rail being made into a die cast version? Kinda like they did with the Tron rail? Granted they did not release it until D23 expo which is normally in the summer.... I was just curious..(no flaming please)

lazyboy97o

Well, the thing is if they weren't Disney fans before, a lot of them will become Disney fans. I heard a lot of people say while I was at the theater this weekend "Well, Disney is involved with Marvel now so you know it has to be good if Disney has a hand in it." And this ws at the midnight show where mostly everyone there are big time Marvel fans.

So, the demographic I think will actually change slowly because of the acquisition and just make Disney do that much better. :D
Except that Disney did not have a hand in this film. Disney bought the marketing and distribution. The people who are now Disney employees that were involved in the making of the film are Marvel Studios employees who would have been involved regardless of Disney owning Marvel.

WDWmazprty

Except that Disney did not have a hand in this film. Disney bought the marketing and distribution. The people who are now Disney employees that were involved in the making of the film are Marvel Studios employees who would have been involved regardless of Disney owning Marvel.

Right, I know. But simply having the Disney name associated with Marvel will convert a lot of people who maybe weren't Disney fans before. And who knows what will happen later on with all these license and rights laws etc. Disney may wind up getting them after all.

lazyboy97o

Right, I know. But simply having the Disney name associated with Marvel will convert a lot of people who maybe weren't Disney fans before. And who knows what will happen later on with all these license and rights laws etc. Disney may wind up getting them after all.
Why would it convert them? It is the same Marvel staff that was making the films before. And stateside we know exactly what will happen with Fox, Sony and Universal.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom