Monorail system to operate on new timetable to accommodate automation work

cw1982

Anyone who thinks it's no big deal to change a reservation on short notice during a busy time of year should think again. I leave for my trip in 11 days. I called DVC to see what's still available. There are no comparable accommodations available July 3, 4 or 5. The CM said those dates sold out long ago. In addition, any points we used for this vacation that don't get used if we change resorts will end up forfeited because we won't be able to do another trip before this use year ends.

I called guest services, explained the situation and asked to speak to someone who might be able to help. After a brief hold, the CM said the appropriate person would not speak to me because there was nothing she could do. She suggested I send an e-mail that will be forwarded to the "right" people. I wasn't too happy, but just for the record, I was very nice to the CM who answered the call. I'm now working on an e-mail. I don't expect anything to change, but Disney should know how the schedule change with no advance notice is going to impact guest vacations.

Wow... the person who might be able to help refused to speak with you?!? I'm glad you were nice to the CM who answered the call, but I hope you're including every detail from that phone call in your email.

Monorail_Orange

and they could also use a parking lot tram to pick up the slack from GF and Poly to the MK for the hour before rope drop
Actually, I would be surprised to see them do this, the roadways along the route are not conducive this, especially at the left turn off of Florida Way onto Seven Seas Drive. Yikes! That doesn't even consider trying to maneuver within the resort lots. The more I consider the idea of using a parking tram, the more impractical (bordering on impossible) and unwise it seems. Methinks watercraft is best option for GF and Poly. Maybe one of our transportation insiders know, wasn't there supposedly another cruiser or two ordered to help with this? Or did bean counters decide the MK boat relics were good enough?

kbmum

Wow... the person who might be able to help refused to speak with you?!? I'm glad you were nice to the CM who answered the call, but I hope you're including every detail from that phone call in your email.

I was shocked. I have a feeling they've been fielding angry calls and just don't want to talk with anyone else. Yep, the details from the call will be in my e-mail.

Rasvar

Anyone who thinks it's no big deal to change a reservation on short notice during a busy time of year should think again. I leave for my trip in 11 days. I called DVC to see what's still available. There are no comparable accommodations available July 3, 4 or 5. The CM said those dates sold out long ago. In addition, any points we used for this vacation that don't get used if we change resorts will end up forfeited because we won't be able to do another trip before this use year ends.

I'll be shocked if July 3rd and 4th schedule isn't modified on the backside. Transportation infrastructure at MK is stretched to the limit on those evenings as it is. I don't think there is enough alternative systems available on those days for everything to work. A lot of extra buses are already going to be needed for regular service. It will be even more stressed if MK parking overflows to Epcot on the 4th.

kbmum

I'll be shocked if July 3rd and 4th schedule isn't modified on the backside.

I was going to post about this today. If I read the EMH schedule right, MK has an 8 a.m. opening on July 4. TTC is going to have a major backup if people can only get to the park via watercraft until 8:30. We decided to not go into any park that day because transportation is going to be such an issue.

cw1982

I was going to post about this today. If I read the EMH schedule right, MK has an 8 a.m. opening on July 4. TTC is going to have a major backup if people can only get to the park via watercraft until 8:30. We decided to not go into any park that day because transportation is going to be such an issue.

The general rule of thumb around here is to avoid whichever park has EMH any given day anyway, unless you are using the actual EMH to your advantage, because EMH's tend to bring in bigger crowds. If you change your mind and decide to go to a park that day, I'd go with one that doesn't have EMH... although you're probably right that they will all be crowded and transportation will be a mess.

kbmum

I just realized that the hours for the MK express beam start at 9:30, not 8:30. If this holds true for July 4, TTC is truly going to be a mess that morning.

I like morning EMH for AK and HS. It's just personal preference. For quite a few years, we used to go to AK on the 4th because it opened at 8 a.m. and that's when I like to ride the safari. Since Disney isn't doing that this year and we're taking a fairly long vacation, we thought it best to take the 4th off to relax, hit a couple of restaurants and use the pool.

Hmm...this site posted park hours and entertainment for the 3rd and 4th. MK will be open July 3 from 8 a.m. to 3 a.m. the next day, then re-open on the 4th at 8 a.m. I know Disney wants to get the beam work done, but it really doesn't make sense to limit monorail hours on those two days, considering how many people will be in the park.

cw1982

I just realized that the hours for the MK express beam start at 9:30, not 8:30. If this holds true for July 4, TTC is truly going to be a mess that morning.

I like morning EMH for AK and HS. It's just personal preference. For quite a few years, we used to go to AK on the 4th because it opened at 8 a.m. and that's when I like to ride the safari. Since Disney isn't doing that this year and we're taking a fairly long vacation, we thought it best to take the 4th off to relax, hit a couple of restaurants and use the pool.

Makes perfect sense to me!

Stine

you should ALWAYS be responsible enough to check to make sure your confirmations are correct, right? why would it be any different to check before you leave to be sure of the closings in the parks, its right there with the operating hours of each park on all ears... or do some people not d oPM on their car until the check engine light comes on? come on guys, personal responsibility... and @cw1982 was not trying to single any one post out, i meant the whole thread, sorry to make you think i singled one post out.

Accept that I have been checking the sites and that is how I found out about the change in hours. When I called guest services to confirm and question it, they had no idea and a day later I received an email from Disney regarding my vacation and it lists the monorail as my first amenity, with hours starting at least an hour before park opening. Those who think that this is just a regular vacation and arrive on site will be surprised to find out that the amenity is actually not available as advertised.

Stine

I called guest services, explained the situation and asked to speak to someone who might be able to help. After a brief hold, the CM said the appropriate person would not speak to me because there was nothing she could do. She suggested I send an e-mail that will be forwarded to the "right" people. I wasn't too happy, but just for the record, I was very nice to the CM who answered the call. I'm now working on an e-mail. I don't expect anything to change, but Disney should know how the schedule change with no advance notice is going to impact guest vacations.

On my last phone call with a hotel cast member (after my first hour phone call a few days before, when the information that I requested be sent to me wasn't, and I had to call back), she actually told me that I most likely wouldn't even notice the change in hours. I assured her that I would, first when I arrive an hour before park opening and a monorail doesn't arrive, and secondly, when I am waiting on a hot bus stop instead of in air-conditioned comfort inside the resort! Oh, and this was after she admitted not knowing about the change in hours!!!

And she also told me that many people like to sleep in on their vacation, so the lines won't be too long for the bus. I assured her that, for what I was paying in park tickets, the last thing I would be doing was sleeping in, and due to WDW's insistence that I micro manage my vacation, I already had all my dining and FP+'s planned so that wasn't an option, nor was changing hotels at such a late date.

Again, a little accountability on Disney's part, a little communication and maybe some consideration for those who booked a deluxe hotel at peak season, at deluxe peak prices, should be in order. Also, a less patronizing attitude among cast members would go a long way.

Last edited:

kbmum

On my last phone call with a hotel cast member (after my first hour phone call a few days before, when the information that I requested be sent to me wasn't, and I had to call back), she actually told me that I most likely wouldn't even notice the change in hours. I assured her that I would, first when I arrive an hour before park opening and a monorail doesn't arrive, and secondly, when I am waiting on a hot bus stop instead of in air-conditioned comfort inside the resort! Oh, and this was after she admitted not knowing about the change in hours!!!

And she also told me that many people like to sleep in on their vacation, so the lines won't be too long for the bus. I assured her that, for what I was paying in park tickets, the last thing I would be doing was sleeping in, and due to WDW's insistence that I micro manage my vacation, I already had all my dining and FP+'s planned so that wasn't an option, nor was changing hotels at such a late date.

Again, a little accountability on Disney's part, a little communication and maybe some consideration for those who booked a deluxe hotel at peak season, at deluxe peak prices, should be in order. Also, a less patronizing attitude among cast members would go a long way.

When is your trip? Like you, I have ADRs and FPs booked and It would be too difficult to change all of those reservations for six people, never mind what times are still available at the last minute for a holiday week.

The only CM who spoke to me knew about the issue. She pulled up the info to read it to me and said, "Oh, the hours have changed for the better!" I asked how the hours are better when I can't take the monorail to the parks in time for park opening and she had no response. I mean, come on, don't try to sell me on how great this is. It's a major change with no notice formally sent to guests who will be affected by it.

I can't believe a CM told you the lines won't be long in the morning. I've stayed at the Contemporary/Bay Lake Tower for the majority of my Disney vacations, mostly during the week of July 4. There's usually a long line for the monorail in the morning, and that runs much more frequently than the buses will.

wogwog

I think 8:30am is plenty of time for the majority of rope-droppers to get to the MK from monorail resorts. But this is obviously not very accommodating for those going to Epcot.

A good reason to avoid monorail resorts until this is all over. No reason why they can't back the start time up to 8am. Still plenty of hours to work overnight.
Not that I have ever done rope drop but MK is now at 8:40 normal and 7:40 EMH. I would think even WDW would be smart enough to start a few buses early enough to get to the rope drop. It is Important to many.

dstrawn9889

people wait for the monorail at the contemporary to go to MK? that's like 15 extra minutes of travel that can be accomplished in a few minutes with your feet

kbmum

people wait for the monorail at the contemporary to go to MK? that's like 15 extra minutes of travel that can be accomplished in a few minutes with your feet

The only way the walk from the lobby to MK takes a few minutes is if you run. It's longer than it looks.

Stine

When is your trip? Like you, I have ADRs and FPs booked and It would be too difficult to change all of those reservations for six people, never mind what times are still available at the last minute for a holiday week.

The only CM who spoke to me knew about the issue. She pulled up the info to read it to me and said, "Oh, the hours have changed for the better!" I asked how the hours are better when I can't take the monorail to the parks in time for park opening and she had no response. I mean, come on, don't try to sell me on how great this is. It's a major change with no notice formally sent to guests who will be affected by it.

I can't believe a CM told you the lines won't be long in the morning. I've stayed at the Contemporary/Bay Lake Tower for the majority of my Disney vacations, mostly during the week of July 4. There's usually a long line for the monorail in the morning, and that runs much more frequently than the buses will.

Within the next week, so I cannot really change any plans, nor do I want to at this late date. It was enough to make them in the first place. I spoke with 3 CM's, at least 2 of which admitted not knowing. How a CM can tell you that this is better, when you will miss park opening, is just crazy. I just wish they would know what was going on without being told, admit it is not right to inconvenience some of your highest paying customers (though I know some other hotels do cost as much) during a peak vacation time, and give us accurate and up to date information without being asked for it.

Stine

Yes, I will walk most days, but it would be nice not to have to. And remember those at the GF or the Poly don't have that option. Also, anyone trying to get to Epcot via monorail now has to wait until park opening to even begin their journey, if they want to take the monorail, making them late for any ADR's or FP's. So, they will be on the buses, when they paid a premium for the monorail, which as of this past weekend, was being touted as a resort amenity that will be available at least an hour before park opening.

Stine

The only way the walk from the lobby to MK takes a few minutes is if you run. It's longer than it looks.

The last time we stayed there it was about a 15 minute walk. Of course, while we are by no means athletic, we are in reasonably good health and are capable of doing so. Not all guests are, and they will have to take a bus to the MK.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom