Monorail system to operate on new timetable to accommodate automation work

FerretAfros

I worry about this, especially since my trip starts about a week after the scheduling change is going to occur. I think there will be some chaos at the hotel bus stops. The value resorts have queues with ropes or chains to reduce cutting in line. The monorail resorts don't have this. It's going to be a free-for-all at the bus stop with people trying to take buses to all of the parks.

My parents are VERY upset. They're in their mid to late 70s and decided to spend the money to stay at the Contemporary because it's physically easier for them to take the monorail instead of the bus and they tend to spend more time at MK than any other park. Now, they'll have to deal with the bus every single morning of our trip.
For what it's worth, the Moderates don't have queues for their bus stops, and there's no mass hysteria for people trying to board the buses. The Moderates typically have 2-4 times as many rooms as the Deluxe hotels (with a couple extra bus stops), and it's surprisingly calm to have everybody waiting on benches under a shade structure, even during the morning rush

Additionally, if the Monorail hotels don't need an organized queue for the DAK or the Studios buses, why would they need one to get to Epcot (assuming that MK will be accessed by boat)?

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
95% of the day the monorails will be available. Unlike the 6 hours they were down during the day earlier this year. I understand the incovienience, but it needed to be done.

Why did it need to be done in this very specific way? Are you telling me, there is NO way Disney could have done this work without disrupting service? Either by hiring more people, or extending the timeline of the work?

Figment2005

Why did it need to be done in this very specific way? Are you telling me, there is NO way Disney could have done this work without disrupting service? Either by hiring more people, or extending the timeline of the work?
That is what they have been trying to do the last couple of months. It was taking too long.

dreamfinder

Ok, so what about people who have early breakfast ADR's at one of the monorail hotels? The early morning buses only take you to the magic kingdom so how are they supposed to get from MK to the Poly, GF, or Contemporary? Ohana I know starts seating at 7:30am and that is a full hour before monorail service starts.

The boat launches should all be running at that time. And frequently the character breakfast buses will drop you off at the resort you are going to if the bus isn't full. They may plan on doing that a rule instead of an exception during this time period.

Victor Kelly

I have to not defend Disney on this one. I cannot afford to stay in those hotels, but others can. They should not be paying full price for diminished services when those services are touted as included with staying there.

Truth: People will have to find a way around this. Buses, boats and cars. A primary mode of transportation that starts late is not a good thing. This will cause people headaches getting to ADRs, and even getting to MK or EPCOT in time for rope drop if using the monorails alone. Alternate plans will need to be made and plenty of time alloted to combat the issue.

PolynesianPrincess

I worry about this, especially since my trip starts about a week after the scheduling change is going to occur. I think there will be some chaos at the hotel bus stops. The value resorts have queues with ropes or chains to reduce cutting in line. The monorail resorts don't have this. It's going to be a free-for-all at the bus stop with people trying to take buses to all of the parks.

My parents are VERY upset. They're in their mid to late 70s and decided to spend the money to stay at the Contemporary because it's physically easier for them to take the monorail instead of the bus and they tend to spend more time at MK than any other park. Now, they'll have to deal with the bus every single morning of our trip.

I think I would call Guest Services and complain. Not sure what good it will do, but Disney needs to be hearing these things.

Here's hoping that, since you're arriving a week after this starts, maybe they will have queues set up by then to reduce drama at the buses. I know that only goes so far, but I'm hoping you still have a great trip!

The deluxe resorts don't have queues, even for non-monorail parks. We've stayed at WL twice and BLT once and everyone just waits in one are (you can sit on the benches, or stand) and then everyone boards the bus when it arrives. It was a very smooth process at both resorts. Also, there is no place to set up queues as the area is too small. It's not like at the Value resorts (or even the moderates, but most of those have several bus stops along the route) where there are many more people staying there.

PolynesianPrincess

IMMH, the buses from the Contemporary to AK and HS are usually pretty good (with the occasional glitch like a bus not showing up every 20 minutes). We have two members in our party who really can't do the walk to MK, so we'll be stuck dealing with bus service most mornings.

Will they be offering a bus from Contemp to MK? I don't think that makes much sense to run a bus between the Contemp and MK. GF and Poly have the boat so I would assume (but I could be wrong) that Contemp guests would just walk?

Figment2005

Ultimately, it begs the question then, WHY was it taking too long?
I explained in my first post on this thread. If the park is open until 1 am, monorails run until 2, it takes about an hour to pull the trains off the beam, another 15-20 minutes to lock out the beam power. At this point it's 3 am. It gives the workers maybe an hour to work before having to pack up to be clear by 4:30 so they can bring the trains back out. They might get more time of the park isn't open as late, but with summer, midnight would be considered an early closing. They simply needed more time, and the hour delay in the morning and strict shutdown at night will supply that.

PrincessNelly_NJ

The boat launches should all be running at that time. And frequently the character breakfast buses will drop you off at the resort you are going to if the bus isn't full. They may plan on doing that a rule instead of an exception during this time period.
I believe the boat launches only began 30-60 minutes before Park opening. So they still may not work for people.
There is a bus stop from MK to the TTC so maybe they will began running buses early enough for people with ADRs.

Monorail_Orange

I explained in my first post on this thread. If the park is open until 1 am, monorails run until 2, it takes about an hour to pull the trains off the beam, another 15-20 minutes to lock out the beam power. At this point it's 3 am. It gives the workers maybe an hour to work before having to pack up to be clear by 4:30 so they can bring the trains back out. They might get more time of the park isn't open as late, but with summer, midnight would be considered an early closing. They simply needed more time, and the hour delay in the morning and strict shutdown at night will supply that.
So what happened with the previous mid-day closures from 11 to 7, when supposedly they were removing trains and locking out power to install automation equipment on the beamway at that time? Edit: I should note my times above might be incorrect, but I recall it being a substantial chunk of the middle of the day.

Figment2005

So what happened with the previous mid-day closures from 11 to 7, when supposedly they were removing trains and locking out power to install automation equipment on the beamway at that time? Edit: I should note my times above might be incorrect, but I recall it being a substantial chunk of the middle of the day.
That was simply installing the conduit and junction boxes required. Now they are running wire, and working on the stations themselves.

Monorail_Orange

That was simply installing the conduit and junction boxes required. Now they are running wire, and working on the stations themselves.
Conduit and junction boxes without wire pose no safety risk to crews installing them, other than inside the stations where a moving train becomes a concern. The conduit would be underground, junction boxes on the beamway supports at about 3 feet off the ground. No reason to have to do lock out procedures. And don't misunderstand, I'm not saying you're wrong, just saying that some of the operational decisions during this process have failed the smell test.

Figment2005

Conduit and junction boxes without wire pose no safety risk to crews installing them, other than inside the stations where a moving train becomes a concern. The conduit would be underground, junction boxes on the beamway supports at about 3 feet off the ground. No reason to have to do lock out procedures. And don't misunderstand, I'm not saying you're wrong, just saying that some of the operational decisions during this process have failed the smell test.
It's not the train movement that causes problems. It's the 600 volts of direct current running through the bus bar directly above where the conduit is installed.

Monorail_Orange

It's not the train movement that causes problems. It's the 600 volts of direct current running through the bus bar directly above where the conduit is installed.
So the conduit is attached to the beamway rather than installed underground alongside? Interesting. Now that makes sense. Apparently, I overlooked the new conduit and junction boxes on the beamway when I was there two weeks ago.

Figment2005

So the conduit is attached to the beamway rather than installed underground alongside? Interesting. Now that makes sense. Apparently, I overlooked the new conduit and junction boxes on the beamway when I was there two weeks ago.
They did bury it where possible, but with the route the MK loops take, it wasn't viable like the EPCOT loop.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom