Monorail system to close during non peak times for maintenance in early 2014

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Perhaps the floating bridge that isn't actually being built is to ease traffic on the watercraft by allowing people to walk if they so choose when the monorail isn't operating. Hypothetically, at least. :D

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Perhaps the floating bridge that isn't actually being built is to ease traffic on the watercraft by allowing people to walk if they so choose when the monorail isn't operating. Hypothetically, at least. :D
I get the feeling Disney don't want people walking that route, hence the lack of progress on that walkway. The new bus stops at the Magic Kingdom will take up the extra load when the monorails are not in operation.

midwest_mice

I did notice lots of utility flag markings along the monorail line last week and also some trenching being done near the TTC along the resort line.

JohnD

Thanks for the info, Steve.

I'm sure all the folks who spent big bucks to stay at the MK monorail resorts will be so pleased when they learn of this news. Also, I say 3 to 1 odds the interiors receieve no attention during this "maintenance" time period, even though we all know they could use it.

I'm always perplexed by the attitudes of people when it comes to refurbishment/maintenance. It was not too long ago in this forum that someone was complaining about how dirty the monorails were. Well, what do you know, WDW is doing maintenance on them in January after the holiday rush, and there is complaining that the monorails will be down for a period of time. They're damned if they do and damned if they don't.

CDavid

We all know maintenance is needed - badly - and if this is an unavoidable closure then they are probably doing it about as well as can be. Without knowing what work is planned, I'm tempted to wonder why they couldn't do it overnight under work lights, but that could be disruptive to (sleeping) guests as well.

And yes, there is no excuse not to give the interiors some extra attention during the downtime.

orky8

That's what the article says. Additional buses/boats will be put into service.

To handle capacity, sure. But what about connecting things that were previously only connected by monorail. I.e., is there going to be a bus/boat from Contemporary to TTC to Poly to GF? Or are people now expected to go to from CR to MK to Poly, for example.

ptaylor

Premium Member
I'm always perplexed by the attitudes of people when it comes to refurbishment/maintenance. It was not too long ago in this forum that someone was complaining about how dirty the monorails were. Well, what do you know, WDW is doing maintenance on them in January after the holiday rush, and there is complaining that the monorails will be down for a period of time. They're damned if they do and damned if they don't.
People just want proper maintenance - and it used to be done without issue. There are plenty of opportunities to refurbish the trains, but they never do. I bet nothing will be done to the interior of the trains during the Jan - March closures.

PhotoDave219

This just reinforces the prevailing opinion that transportation to and from the deluxe resorts on the monorail is horrific.

When the monorail goes down, there is no effective way to transport gas around the lagoon easily.

The "million dollar mile" that was rumored in the early 90s… They really need that. A walkway that connects all the way around the lagoon? It's needed.

You can throw bosses in my face all you want… The Polynesian, the grand Floridian and the contemporary all traditionally the money and have one bus route for all 3 resorts and that does tend to off a few guests.

Granted, January through March is the perfect time to do work on the Morrelle, but it's 10 years overdue.

PhotoDave219

People just want proper maintenance - and it used to be done without issue. There are plenty of opportunities to refurbish the trains, but they never do. I bet nothing will be done to the interior of the trains during the Jan - March closures.

No because this is trackwork, it's not train rehabilitation. The system is max capacity and the trains are at least 22 years old.

They don't have the capability to take one train out of service for a month and rehabilitated. They just can't do that because of operational needs.

JohnD

To handle capacity, sure. But what about connecting things that were previously only connected by monorail. I.e., is there going to be a bus/boat from Contemporary to TTC to Poly to GF? Or are people now expected to go to from CR to MK to Poly, for example.

Read the article: "During the work additional busses and watercraft will be available for resort transportation."

Figment2005

No because this is trackwork, it's not train rehabilitation. The system is max capacity and the trains are at least 22 years old.

They don't have the capability to take one train out of service for a month and rehabilitated. They just can't do that because of operational needs.
I have heard rumors of sandblasting the be a way between the TTC and Grand Floridian. If you look at it now the pylons have already been painted. If track work is what's being done then this easily could be part of the project.

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
Why keep the Epcot Beam running, serves not point. 8 Hours of downtime, means really 6 hours or less that the trains can be worked on. (an hour on both ends to take off and put everything back in place). I guess (maybe) you could do a lot of piecemeal work and cleaning. It's not an impossible task for a couple month break. I wouldn't be surprised if something is done, and I wouldn't be surprised if nothing is done with regards to the trains.

Problem with the whole bridge idea is that it means walking. And to it seems unlikely that the average WDW visitor would walk close to a mile with no concession stand or bathroom just to to get to the GF. 'Murica

orky8

Read the article: "During the work additional busses and watercraft will be available for resort transportation."

So, you don't know. Why bother stating anything, you clearly don't know the answer to my question. This is a simple question - will they be adding resort-to-resort transportation. Not additional busses and watercraft -- but NEW ROUTES.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom