News Monorail switch broken

zulemara

In the Parks
Yes
I wonder, if it is just a sensor that is bad if they could override it and manually manipulate the controls. Maybe require an in person beam watch or on-site tech until it’s fixed or something. No idea of the setup for a monorail switch, but i guess if the beam won’t physically move than there toast. Could also be safety or not worth the guest movement with the alternatives available I guess.

As a side note, there is increased difficulty in finding sensors for automated manufacturing equipment(just like everything else), let alone any special things they could be using.
It’s not just the controls but also the MAPO system that prevents collisions. Over riding a sensor like that would require MAPO over ride which reduces speeds and creates a ton of operational headaches for safety. The monorail crash in 09 happened because the standard process when traveling over a switch requires MAPO over ride and there’s no anti collision system in that state.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Everything is roiling
20211207_173308.jpg

EeyoreFan#24

It’s not just the controls but also the MAPO system that prevents collisions. Over riding a sensor like that would require MAPO over ride which reduces speeds and creates a ton of operational headaches for safety. The monorail crash in 09 happened because the standard process when traveling over a switch requires MAPO over ride and there’s no anti collision system in that state.
That makes sense, sounds like not much gained for the hoops to jump through to do it withen policies.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
We'll see quickly if it's fixed or not, Aqua is about to be switched from the barn to the express loop.

Walt d

If that is the case, it sounds like it's not the position sensor itself. I would assume that they would readily have a spare part and could swap that out quickly. Maybe it is something other than the sensor itself.
Does that mean we have to drive just east of Orlando to monorails are us, to get new parts?

WallyWorld

Not sure about the switch procedure but they had a single maintenance person under it while moving it a few minutes ago:

Ok....I'm not up on these details but rather fascinated. What are we seeing here? I'm guessing we are looking from MK area toward the Contemporary? The switch is between which rails?

TIA

JustInTime

Can y’all take color theory to PM’s?

any updates behind the video/tweet above?? I have friends traveling down tomorrow and would like to explain what this looks like and their transportation options.

trainplane3

Can y’all take color theory to PM’s?

any updates behind the video/tweet above?? I have friends traveling down tomorrow and would like to explain what this looks like and their transportation options.
Monorails are fine. The MK lines were down for a few hours on Tuesday but that's it. The tweet was just me poking a bit of fun that there were no issues when they took a monorail of the line and sent it to the shed.

Cesar R M

Monorails are fine. The MK lines were down for a few hours on Tuesday but that's it. The tweet was just me poking a bit of fun that there were no issues when they took a monorail of the line and sent it to the shed.
"Yeah, its just a major failure... no issues.. monorails are fine" XD

WallyWorld

So how many switches are there total in the system? Must be at least 3.....resort line to maintenance, resort and express, and resort/express to EPCOT? How many switches back in maintenance?

donsullivan

Premium Member
So how many switches are there total in the system? Must be at least 3.....resort line to maintenance, resort and express, and resort/express to EPCOT? How many switches back in maintenance?
Total of 9 with 4 in guest facing areas and 5 more back at the service barn behind space mountain

In Front of Space Mountain (2 side-by side)- some may classify this as one given the two are merged together, but mechanically they're separate.
1- Service Beam from Barn onto MK Express beam
2- MK Express Beam to Resort Beam

At TTC
3- From MK Express Beam to bypass loop toward Epcot Beam
4- From TTC Bypass loop to Epcot beam (east of World Drive)

There are 5 more multi-beam switches back at the monorail barn to switch from the service beam that runs east of Space Mountain to the 11 bays of the garage.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom