News Monorail switch broken

bpiper

Original Poster
The monorail switch along the path from the magic Kingdom to the contemporary hotel is broken. It is stuck in the position of allowing monorails to go from the resort loop to the express loop. It's been down for over 3 hours and maintenance people are still working on it. As I walked by it there was a manager on the phone and I could hear him telling somebody that the position sensor wouldn't show the current position of the transfer beam. They are currently running buses from the Magic Kingdom hotels to the Magic Kingdom.

Attachments

• PXL_20211207_185846629.jpg
    PXL_20211207_185846629.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 167
  • PXL_20211207_185825826.jpg
    PXL_20211207_185825826.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 134

bpiper

Original Poster
I overheard them as well as one surmised it wouldn't get fixed this week.
If that is the case, it sounds like it's not the position sensor itself. I would assume that they would readily have a spare part and could swap that out quickly. Maybe it is something other than the sensor itself.

trainplane3

Wondered what happened. Took a bus from Springs to Poly with the plan to monorail to Contemporary. I can easily say, thank your favorite deity for the MK walking path!

Not that it's affecting this, but it looks like the resort/express loops are getting power upgrades. Noticed a few new concrete pours and power(?) boxes like this with dangling connections:
PXL_20211206_033304293.jpg

bpiper

Original Poster
Wondered what happened. Took a bus from Springs to Poly with the plan to monorail to Contemporary. I can easily say, thank your favorite deity for the MK walking path!

Not that it's affecting this, but it looks like the resort/express loops are getting power upgrades. Noticed a few new concrete pours and power(?) boxes like this with dangling connections:
View attachment 605700
That has been an ongoing project. We saw them when we were here in October and I believe we also saw them when we were here in May.

bpiper

Original Poster
Me personally? Yes! :D But I like to walk.

It would be a longer walk from TTC, but doable. Maybe stop in at Grand Floridian for a glass of wine on the way there...and back...
I was thinking more along the lines of the chaos that would happen. That would happen.

hopemax

I had to call my Dad to tell him about this, because he was doing some holiday shopping at MK and the Resort loop this morning. He thinks he had to just have made it back to the TTC before this happened. He was so relieved. But then exclaimed, "The fog tonight!" because he knew the ferries were shut down this morning.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
We had just finished lunch at Steakhouse 71 (in spite of the Amazon Cloud debacle) and our server told us they were down. Quickest way back was walk to Mk dock, ferry to TTC, and walk back to the Poly. Thankfully our park reservations are HS and Epcot until Thursday.

dreday3

We had just finished lunch at Steakhouse 71 (in spite of the Amazon Cloud debacle) and our server told us they were down. Quickest way back was walk to Mk dock, ferry to TTC, and walk back to the Poly. Thankfully our park reservations are HS and Epcot until Thursday.

Why couldn't you just walk to MK and catch launch straight to Polynesian?

EeyoreFan#24

If that is the case, it sounds like it's not the position sensor itself. I would assume that they would readily have a spare part and could swap that out quickly. Maybe it is something other than the sensor itself.

I wonder, if it is just a sensor that is bad if they could override it and manually manipulate the controls. Maybe require an in person beam watch or on-site tech until it’s fixed or something. No idea of the setup for a monorail switch, but i guess if the beam won’t physically move than there toast. Could also be safety or not worth the guest movement with the alternatives available I guess.

As a side note, there is increased difficulty in finding sensors for automated manufacturing equipment(just like everything else), let alone any special things they could be using.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom