News Monorail Red in motion with guests on board and doors open

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Ok that part I’ll agree with all though usually an ECV isn’t accelerating up a ramp while the monorail is moving. The guest also went against the contract they signed for the ECV (assuming they rented it) with having a child on their lap.

Granted...but nothing is to say they can’t hammer the throttle and jump it into the door onboard. It probably has happened.

And the possibility that it could damage the door latching system is a problem. That’s pretty clear.

PorterRedkey

Fake news.
The site in question stated the door fell off. It mentioned no scooter, it just somehow fell off (Implying more maintenance issues).

While I think a monorail replacement fleet is way overdo, this situation was a guest-caused issue, not a lack of maintenance on Disney’s part. Disney does plenty wrong, but I can’t see how this is their fault.

Implying that this incident is related to maintenance instead of a being a single incident caused by a guest is fake news.

Now if another door “falls” off in next year, we might have a problem. 🙂

PorterRedkey

And that matters how, exactly?

That can’t happen while it’s over a gator nursery 2/3 of the way to Epcot?
If you talking about the door opening on the way to Epcot I think that was unforgivable. Dangerous, scary and possibly deadly.
I see little comparison with these two events.

Scooter hit monorail door and caused it to dislodge is a more accurate than the initial reports just saying a door fell off the monorail. The initial report implied it was a maintenance issue by linking it to the dangerous door opening (which one could argue WAS Disney’s fault).

I was trying clarify things.

PorterRedkey

I wouldn't say fake just distorted, haha!

It was dislodged from (broken off of) the top actuator and moved (fell) to the hanging position.

It's always easy to just change a few words to make things sound nicer.
To me, the door didn’t fall off since it was still attached to the monorail. How can the door be classified as “falling off the monorail” when it is still attatched to the monorail?

It semantics but I think words matter.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
To me, the door didn’t fall off since it was still attached to the monorail. How can the door be classified as “falling off the monorail” when it is still attatched to the monorail?

It semantics but I think words matter.

It absolutely fell off, as you can see in the photos guests took that it had fallen and stuck in the track. The picker arrived later and cast removed it from the track.

PorterRedkey

That’s not what I meant...

The fact that is was dislodged and removed with “no passengers aboard” is meaningless when judging the problem.

That Initial problem could happen anywhere on the circuit and who knows what could happen then at 37 mph?

It’s not good...that’s all.
How can a scooter run into the open monorail door when traveling on the beam? 🤔

PorterRedkey

It absolutely fell off, as you can see in the photos guests took that it had fallen and stuck in the track. The picker arrived later and cast removed it from the track.
Can you link those pics? I have not seen them. Was the monorail still in the station in these pics? Are you sure it was not removed from the bottom actuator by the Disney maintenance team?

I always welcome more facts! If I am wrong, I’ll edit my posts on this subject to make them more accurate. It seems like we’re hearing different stories.

To better understand your point of view could you answer 2 questions for me.

1) Who do you think is at fault for this incident?
2) Do you think this was a maintenance issue?

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
Can you link those pics? I have not seen them. Was the monorail still in the station in these pics? Are you sure it was not removed from the bottom actuator by the Disney maintenance team?

I always welcome more facts! If I am wrong, I’ll edit my posts on this subject to make them more accurate. It seems like we’re hearing different stories.

To better understand your point of view could you answer 2 questions for me.

1) Who do you think is at fault for this incident?
2) Do you think this was a maintenance issue?

sxX2yYr.jpg

1) The guest
2) I can't say there is or isn't, but I have enough experience with broken monorails to believe it is probable that there was an underlying maintenance issue.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
I don't think this one is on TDO. They do plenty wrong, and the state of the monorails is an absolute disgrace. However...

The world, in this case Disney World isn't built to be ECV proof. These roaming battering rams, loaded with hundreds of pounds of weight are a relatively new scourge on the parks. You can not expect Disney, or anyone really, to be ready to scooter proof their entire operation.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
I don't think this one is on TDO. They do plenty wrong, and the state of the monorails is an absolute disgrace. However...

The world, in this case Disney World isn't built to be ECV proof. These roaming battering rams, loaded with hundreds of pounds of weight are a relatively new scourge on the parks. You can not expect Disney, or anyone really, to be ready to scooter proof their entire operation.

I STRONGLY DISAGREE! IF OUR ANKLES CAN HANDLE ECV CRASHES WHY CAN'T A MONORAIL! :joyfull:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The issue is that the door on the monorail was not designed to have a 500+ pound load slammed into it laterally. This is not a use case that could have been assumed by the engineer.

Then the new trains...which are desperately needed but obviously iger will not authorize...need to be designed to withstand.

I have seen no indication that they wish to maintain system longterm...I’m sorry - I don’t.

I’m also shocked they haven’t figured out how to shell game this off to “reedy creek” to get something off the books.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

Incorrect...to me this is no different than the crash when NTSB and OSHA slammed them. Good thing those agencies where properly run then.

It is their responsibility to run with all contingency planned for - or immediate mitigate.

This is an elevated system...stakes are pretty high. A school bus on stilts. You must address door problems immediately.

Think they’ll retrofit 11 trains? Or “rub some dirt on it”?

And I know this isn’t popular...but Disney’s encouragement of “recreational” EcVs has been a problem since day 1. It has...that’s not a popular opinion...so go ahead flame if you want.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
If you talking about the door opening on the way to Epcot I think that was unforgivable. Dangerous, scary and possibly deadly.
I see little comparison with these two events.

Scooter hit monorail door and caused it to dislodge is a more accurate than the initial reports just saying a door fell off the monorail. The initial report implied it was a maintenance issue by linking it to the dangerous door opening (which one could argue WAS Disney’s fault).

I was trying clarify things.

I just don’t see how an ecv can’t Ram a door in motion...it absolutely could. But Isaac Newton would have to do the engineering study on it 🤓

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom