News Monorail Red in motion with guests on board and doors open

Brad Bishop

You can make the argument that whether or not the monorail doors closed really doesn't affect ticket sales. People are still piling in. In that sense, Disney "won". They saved the cost of maintenance AND ticket sales are through the roof plus no one was injured. It's a manager's dream. Where's his bonus?

DisAl

Unless the door came open after the monorail left the station this was a triple failure: The closing mechanism, the warning light indicating the door was not closed, and the cast member on the platform who is supposed to make sure all doors are closed. I wonder if the door came unlatched after the monorail left the station. If it did the driver only had two choices; continue to the next station or stop on the track. Stopping on the track would not have solved the problem.
Either way I imagine that was a cold ride considering the temps have been in the 30s this past week.

drizgirl

Unless the door came open after the monorail left the station this was a triple failure: The closing mechanism, the warning light indicating the door was not closed, and the cast member on the platform who is supposed to make sure all doors are closed. I wonder if the door came unlatched after the monorail left the station. If it did the driver only had two choices; continue to the next station or stop on the track. Stopping on the track would not have solved the problem.
Either way I imagine that was a cold ride considering the temps have been in the 30s this past week.
The person who filmed the incident likely edited out the early part of the segment where someone took a crowbar out of their backpack and pried it open after leaving the station. :cautious:

Jedi Stitch

Yes the monorails do work just fine most of the time. When something at Disney breaks, it will get attention on Social Media. What worries me the most, is that if this happened during the rush of Park closing or other rush time, it could have been tragic, if it was standing room only. Luckily it was just a "well it happened, it got taken care of moment"

mcrgw29

It probably opened on the beamway, it's happened before thanks to the automation. It's just been caught on video now.

Figment82

We rode Orange to the MK on Sunday and one cab was blocked off and never loaded. We rode it in a little after 3 and when we left the park at 8 it was still being kept empty. I was wondering if it was some sort of door failure problem. Was putting a little strain on moving the line of guests efficiently, but I’d prefer a closed off section to something like this!

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
Why didn't someone use one of the 2 emergency phones to let the driver know a door was open?

The same reason why signs like this are now needed.
Bn5y-euCAAAARu_.png:large

lazyboy97o

Waiting for the monorail defenders to show up and comment on how people are overreacting and that the monorails carry thousands of people per day and things like this should be expected.
You people just don’t live in reality. Those smells are fine and monorails are great. You’re not a monorail engineer, you don’t actually know if something is wrong. The only problem is you selfish slobs who leave trash on the monorails expecting your mommy to pick it up!

jakeman

You can make the argument that whether or not the monorail doors closed really doesn't affect ticket sales. People are still piling in. In that sense, Disney "won". They saved the cost of maintenance AND ticket sales are through the roof plus no one was injured. It's a manager's dream. Where's his bonus?
You could, but that would be reductive and asinine.

This is an unacceptable failure and should be investigated and corrected. However, "manager bonuses" is a pithy analysis devoid of any critical thought beyond proletariat reactionism.

The trains should be taken out of service until the root cause of the failure on this train is identified and all trains are inspected. Furthermore, the training records of the maintenance workers, transportation cast member and associated mangers should be reviewed along with the SOP/WPDs to determine if there was human error or bad judgement used and appropriate action (up to and including termination) should be conducted.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom