Monorail Pilot's Mother Is Suing Disney

hardcard

Mr. EPCOT said that they are allowed to. Something that boggles me.:shrug: How can they be away and do their job well?

I frequently field phones call while away from my desk and make potentially critical decisions remotely..

The manager did not fail, his trusted infrastructure beneath him (maintenance worker) did.

Do you blame the railroad train traffic controller when the 'trusted' protection system (railroad crossing gates) fail to activate and a car is smashed to bits? no...

simple process..

Radio to Shop to have Switch Moved..

Shop Responds OK.

Shop responds to Control to tell them the switch has been moved..

Control gives Pink a clear-through-base...

Control did nothing wrong, he was relying on his counterparts, which failed him... it's that simple.

jakeman

Mr. EPCOT said that they are allowed to. Something that boggles me.:shrug: How can they be away and do their job well?
Because they were at lunch, per the report.

The fact that he reportedly had the radio at all was above what should be required of someone on a break.

maggiegrace1

They were on their lunch break from what I read...and apparently carry their radio with them..when the other CM called in ill..then they must have did some kind of work from where they were..maybe..not sure..

No one is saying that they are allowed or that they do their jobs from the restaurants on a normal basis..they were on break....and that is why they were at the restaurant.

EDIT:..what the 2 posters above me said...as I was typing this..:)

hardcard

These Cast members went to Denny's or Perkins on Purpose? :hurl:

Imagine how many times this has happened without them being caught.... Maybe this will shed some light to the higher ups and perhaps a change in procedure.

1. Dennys/Perkins very well may have been the only thing open at 2am..

2. Caught? caught doing what? Going on their lunch break? Shame on them!

EPCOT Explorer

I frequently field phones call while away from my desk and make potentially critical decisions remotely..

The manager did not fail, his trusted infrastructure beneath him (maintenance worker) did.

Do you blame the railroad train traffic controller when the 'trusted' protection system (railroad crossing gates) fail to activate and a car is smashed to bits? no...

simple process..

Radio to Shop to have Switch Moved..

Shop Responds OK.

Shop responds to Control to tell them the switch has been moved..

Control gives Pink a clear-through-base...

Control did nothing wrong, he was relying on his counterparts, which failed him... it's that simple.

Because they were at lunch, per the report.

The fact that he reportedly had the radio at all was above what should be required of someone on a break.

They were on their lunch break from what I read...and apparently carry their radio with them..when the other CM called in ill..then they must have did some kind of work from where they were..maybe..not sure..

No one is saying that they are allowed or that they do their jobs from the restaurants on a normal basis..they were on break....and that is why they were at the restaurant.

EDIT:..what the 2 posters above me said...as I was typing this..:)

Right! I get that! :) But shouldn't they have waited until they return? It just does not make sense to me.:shrug:

SCRacerX70

Looking at the situation, I do not blame the mother/family in this case.

This is the type of situation that litigation is called for, not some "I got drunk and fell off the dock, so it's Disney's fault" type of nonsensical lawsuit.

maggiegrace1

Right! I get that! :) But shouldn't they have waited until they return? It just does not make sense to me.:shrug:
Wait until they return to do what?

Let the sick person leave?..Proabaly so, if the replacement had not arrived yet..

Field a call?..not if it was needed to do then...

:shrug:

I think that the blame is being placed on this manager all because he/she was at a restaurant and that is what has everyone up in arms...but this manager was on their allowed break from what I get..and was not doing anything wrong.

The manager seems like an easy target..because he/she was at Perkins/Dennys and not on the job site..but other people were there and something went wrong..horribly wrong and it does not seem in my opinion that it is this managers fault.:shrug:

board57796

For all we know (so far), it could have been 2 minutes from when the first Central left and the other was to be in the console, and in that 2 minutes something terrible happened. The manager that night was someone who would bend over backwards for his Cast, and for that particular Central to go home ill, it would have been something pretty serious, IMO. The manager probably only handled the Central position shortly, and when Shop told him that the switch was thrown that would have been all he needed to send Pink in reverse. We trust(ed) each other. Had the manager been at his break, or had he been at the Contemporary handling a Guest complaint, he would have heard and given the same radio instructions, because Shop told him it was done.

EPCOT Explorer

Wait until they return to do what?

Let the sick person leave?..Proabaly so, if the replacement had not arrived yet..

Field a call?..not if it was needed to do then...

I think that the blame is being placed on this manager all because he/she was at a restaurant and that is what has everyone up in arms...but this manager was on there allowed break from what I get..and was not doing anything wrong.

The manager seems like an easy target..because he/she was at Perkins/Dennys and not on the job site..but other people were there and something went wrong..horribly wrong and it does not seem in my opinion that it is this managers fault.:shrug:
For all we know (so far), it could have been 2 minutes from when the first Central left and the other was to be in the console, and in that 2 minutes something terrible happened. The manager that night was someone who would bend over backwards for his Cast, and for that particular Central to go home ill, it would have been something pretty serious, IMO. The manager probably only handled the Central position shortly, and when Shop told him that the switch was thrown that would have been all he needed to send Pink in reverse. We trust(ed) each other. Had the manager been at his break, or had he been at the Contemporary handling a Guest complaint, he would have heard and given the same radio instructions, because Shop told him it was done.
I suppose.

It just seems more logical TO ME, and in my opinion for him to have waited until he returned to the workplace.

If that's wrong on my part, then it is. Just how I feel.

CoasterKing

People can get sick at any time. People are allowed to have lunch breaks.

But my problem is this... Unless the CM that was sick was not totally unable to function, why couldn't he have stayed at his post until his replacement arrived?? Or if he was really very super sick and could not wait a few minutes, then why was not all operations regarding switching Monorails onto different beams suspended until the replacement arrived??

Once again, it seems that crucial operation should always be monitored for any instance of failures, such as Shop saying the switch was thrown, when in fact it wasn't.

I guess now though, the Tower will always be manned during track switching operations.

CoasterKing :king:

hrcollectibles

1. Dennys/Perkins very well may have been the only thing open at 2am..

2. Caught? caught doing what? Going on their lunch break? Shame on them!

I typed that before I knew the person in question was on a break... And I understand that Denny's or Perkins may have been the only place open that time of night.. But the :hurl: was my personal feeling on both places

disney9752

One thought on the manager being off property eating, there are SEVERAL cast cafeteria's spread across property, each monorail resort has one, MK, EPCOT. I'm guessing he/she didn't make it to one of them before they closed or is just not fond of the food offered in them so went to a location off property. I'm guessing this may lead to a change in who is allowed to leave property for their meals. :shrug:

Cruiseketeer

One thought on the manager being off property eating, there are SEVERAL cast cafeteria's spread across property, each monorail resort has one, MK, EPCOT. I'm guessing he/she didn't make it to one of them before they closed or is just not fond of the food offered in them so went to a location off property. I'm guessing this may lead to a change in who is allowed to leave property for their meals. :shrug:

Are managers salary or hourly workers?

The hospital I worked at for years tried to tell us we could not leave property at lunchtime, however since it was an UNPAID break labor board said they could not enforce it. If it is time we are not being paid for, the company had no say in what we did or where we went in that time.

JWG

Are managers salary or hourly workers?

The hospital I worked at for years tried to tell us we could not leave property at lunchtime, however since it was an UNPAID break labor board said they could not enforce it. If it is time we are not being paid for, the company had no say in what we did or where we went in that time.

Doesn't so much matter hourly or not. Your break/meal period is your duty free time and so use it as such. If s/he had an hour meal break and was appropriately taking it - not their fault for not knowing they shouldn't take a break because a tragedy was due to happen.

I'm not at all making light of the situation but it appears the manager was within their rights to be where they were. If they confirmed with shop the switch was moved, then they really did their job.

As a cast member, maybe I don't want to pay for the overpriced food available on property. I don't go to our office cafeteria for that reason. I can walk to McDonald's and pay 1/2 the price.

fosse76

Why? The accident would most likely have happened regardless of where he was. What difference does it make? A manager at any company shouldn't need to be present to oversee the TYPICAL EVERY DAY FUNCTIONS that those under his supervision perform. And even if he was required to be in the control, I am under the impression that the only way they know the track has been switched is by being told that the track is switched. So it wouldn't have made a difference if had been on site or if he'd been on the moon.

I am under the impression that no one is physically by the spur when this procedure takes place, correct? If that is true, perhaps the switching of the spur should be done at the spur, as opposed to by remote. And I mean the actual switching should be done there, not simply the presence of someone there to visualize it.

epcotWSC

1. Do you go to a restaurant during a lunch break? So do they, no different.

2. Disney isn't going to 'destroy' evidence.. it's pretty difficult to dispute what happened

3. Finally, you are naive if you think this will ever see a court-room..

naive at best..

This is what I was saying. Does no one here ever go out for their lunch break? Why because he works at Disney he's supposed to stay in the park for food? It was 2am, where else is he supposed to get food? No restaurants are open in the park that late anyway.

So if he was on break and let's say he was chilling in Magic Kingdom, would that make everyone feel better? I guess everyone's supposed to stay at their post all day and eat at their post too. Doesn't matter where he was, he was on break at the time, that's the fact of the matter. He could have been in the park, at home, or at Denney's, doesn't matter, what happened would have happened anyway unless he decided to take a break at an earlier or later time.

blackthidot

In the Parks
Yes
I can only imagine all you cry babies who are saying they shouldnt be allowed to leave on their breaks going into work tomorrow and your bosses telling you that you cant leave during your breaks.

wdwemployee13

Okay, people are making the Denny's thing out to to be a bigger thing than it really is. 1) Central has no real need to be in the Tower. What's really required to do the position is the mental aptitude to keep track of everything that's going on. Depending on circumstances, they might have to be out and about for one reason or another. The CMs on the Concourse platform could have stopped the collision as Central could have if he were in the Tower. 2) If this is the manager I think it is, if he truly was out at Denny's or something (which we don't even know as a fact), he was probably out getting food for Cast Members that hadn't had a break all day, or something to that effect. And at 2 AM! You all are making him out to be some vastly irresponsible, lazy bum who's abusing his authority, and this gentlemen is quite the opposite of that.
He is very, very experienced in Monorails, one of the Company's very best Cast Members, and an awesome guy altogether. None of my fellow Pilots that I've spoken to have blamed him for this AT ALL. So all of you can stop this train of thought right now. You should ashamed for condemning a man like that without knowing the full set of circumstances.
The manager had the right to be on break and off property but he had no right to be giving instructions to a maintence worker over the radio. They should have kept monorail pink active until the manager returned. and there is video from the Denny's showing the manager at the time of the accident. The manager is guilty and should be criminal charged and held responsible for the death of Austin.

jmvd20

The manager had the right to be on break and off property but he had no right to be giving instructions to a maintence worker over the radio. They should have kept monorail pink active until the manager returned. and there is video from the Denny's showing the manager at the time of the accident. The manager is guilty and should be criminal charged and held responsible for the death of Austin.

Who cares if the manager was off property.

No, it is not illegal for him to be off property. No it is not his fault. No he is not criminally liable.

An accident happened, learn from it - but end this non-sensical blame game. It gets old very quickly. Especially when people can't seem to understand facts, or have common sense...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom