Monorail Peach will be added to the fleet at Walt Disney World this fall

DonaldDoleWhip

How will they distinguish peach from coral? Aren't those basically the same color? LOL.
Coral is basically an orangish pink. Peach is more like pinkish orange. Completely different :ROFLOL:

In all seriousness, I don't mind if the colors are practically the same. It's just nice to hear that a 12th monorail will be back running.

thehowiet

Wilson King of Prussia
They can always use the delta, as on Lime/Green, and previously on Pink/Coral

Right. Since Coral already has the deltas I just assume that Peach won't have them. It will be just like it was before when you had both Pink (no deltas) and Coral (deltas), only instead of Pink it will be Peach.

I only wish they would bring back the blue delta for Lime instead of the white delta. I always loved the original look of Lime

Scuttle

A whole new fleet would take years to completely deliver.

Of course it would I am just saying it doesn't look like we will get a new fleet in the next 5 years. Besides as I said earlier the monorails just need maintenance, the beam is the real problem.

Kamikaze

Of course it would I am just saying it doesn't look like we will get a new fleet in the next 5 years. Besides as I said earlier the monorails just need maintenance, the beam is the real problem.

So because they put the 12th monorail back into the cycle, that means no new monorails for 5 years? Silly logic, that.

Scuttle

So because they put the 12th monorail back into the cycle, that means no new monorails for 5 years? Silly logic, that.[/QUOT

How's that silly logic? My logic is that I know that the monorails are not the main source of the problem it's the monorail beam, so you think they would buy an entire new monorail fleet for probably hundreds of millions when TDO can just fix the beam and do maintenance on the fleet? Come on now.

montyz81

The electrification of the beams is what I assume you are referring to. I suspect that they could redo the entire electrical system in a matter of months. They could do it over the evenings between open times. The Boston MBTA replaces something like 700 feet of track every night. So they could change some number of feet of electric rail each night and then just upgrade each of the powerstations. Seems pretty easy to me.

BTW: I am kinda of glad it is Peach and not Maroon. I think it would be too much of a reminder of the tragedy. I want to have a positive image of the monorails every time I see them and not be reminded of the damage that was done with them.

zulemara

In the Parks
Yes
to every poster who told me I was wrong about it being peach and not maroon, which I debunked several times, I say

I told you so
That is all

Kamikaze

How's that silly logic? My logic is that I know that the monorails are not the main source of the problem it's the monorail beam, so you think they would buy an entire new monorail fleet for probably hundreds of millions when TDO can just fix the beam and do maintenance on the fleet? Come on now.

I don't disagree with you that the trains themselves are not the entire problem.

But just because #12 is going back into service has no bearing on whether or not they are planning on buying a new fleet.

thehowiet

Wilson King of Prussia
I don't disagree with you that the trains themselves are not the entire problem.

But just because #12 is going back into service has no bearing on whether or not they are planning on buying a new fleet.

I totally agree. Former Imagineer George McGinnis did the design work for Disneyland's Mark V and WDW's Mark VI. The Mark V went into service in 1987, but he said that before they were even finished being built, he began designing the Mark VI for WDW. The first Mark VI didn't arrive until 1989, which means it took over two years from the time they started the design work on the Mark VI until the first train arrived on property.

Even if they started the design work to replace the Mark VIs today, it could be at least two years until the first train is delivered.

WDW has been operating without 12 trains for over two years now, which I'm sure has been very difficult. Even if they plan to replace the entire fleet, it could be that management feels that they can't continue to operate with only 11 trains any longer. Instead of waiting for the first train of the new fleet to arrive, maybe they think it's necessary to have a 12th train in operation to hold them over in the meantime.

WDW put Mark IV Lime and Coral into service in the early to mid 80s, only to begin replacing the entire Mark IV fleet in 1989.

I'm not saying this is what is happening, but it's just something to think about.

Kamikaze

Thanks for the link. I was reading that one when it started, but stopped when it became just an argument over whether monorail resorts charged extra because of the monorail service... If you have read this whole thing, any specific posts you know of that give some detail on the "falling apart"?

Thanks!

There is a quote by a monorail CM that says pieces have literally been falling off the beam. Don't know where it is, though.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom