Monorail or Expansion?

Where would you use the $2 billion?

• Total voters

TimeTrip

Lynx04 said:
Emotions shouldn't interfer with logical business decisions.

Interfere, no of course not. That doesn't mean that emotion shouldn't be involved at all. Especially at a place like Disney.

TowerOfTerror

The_CEO said:
I'm surprised THAT many people voted for the monorail!

I'd like to see many new attractions put in! :)

Think it as 19 "Expedition Everest" qualitiy rides, and some left over change to fix the small world roof.

speck76

TimeTrip said:
Interfere, no of course not. That doesn't mean that emotion shouldn't be involved at all. Especially at a place like Disney.

Emotions should not be used to make business decisions.......if they are used, the business will soon be no longer around.

TimeTrip

speck76 said:
Emotions should not be used to make business decisions.......if they are used, the business will soon be no longer around.

I guess we're just differing on how we view emotions to be involved in business decisions. I'm thinking more along the lines of how the decision you make will affect how people feel. In order to know how your decision will affect people, you need to involve emotion in some way.

In the context of this thread, I'm talking about how people feel about riding a monorail v.s. other modes of transportation. Obviously its not a HUGE factor, or even a big one. It's minor, but it's there. It certainly doesn't make a decision to build monorails smarter. But it just bothers me to see people dismissing emotional impact outright, *especially* in the context of disney.

speck76

TimeTrip said:
I guess we're just differing on how we view emotions to be involved in business decisions. I'm thinking more along the lines of how the decision you make will affect how people feel. In order to know how your decision will affect people, you need to involve emotion in some way.

No, you don't.

You can better make the decision if you logically look at what you customers want and repsond to.

speck76

TimeTrip said:
Would part of "respond to" be "emotionally respond to" ?

you logically make decisions on customers emotions......you don't emotionally make decisions on customers emotions.....

it is not hard to understand

TimeTrip

speck76 said:
you logically make decisions on customers emotions......you don't emotionally make decisions on customers emotions.....

it is not hard to understand

I didn't say you should emotionally make decisions. If, as you suggest, you logically make decisions on customers emotions, you need to understand them if you're going to make decisions based on them. That doesn't mean that you're making that decision emotionally.

waltdisny

Great Post Admiral. As much as I love the monorail, and would like to see it expanded, I forced to concede that the recent years have left the parks in need of some serious help.

Here's my wish list, I have omited projects that are already rumored to be in the works:
Magic Kingdom: $700 Million
1) rehab of COP (Small World Style).
2) replacement attraction for Time Keeper. What about a 3D circle vision?
3) New kid friendly dark ride for Fantasyland. How about a redux of Mr. Toad?:D
4) Rehab of Country Bears. Take the Bears into this century with a rotating show. That is, in addition to the Jamboree show we all love, have the software to do 2 other scripts. These could then play in a rotation, so people would keep coming back for more.
5) Rehab of the Tiki Room. Bring back Tropical Serinade, or else a new show, I don't like UNM and it's my fantasy.:drevil:

Epcot: $400 Million
1) Rehab JII, bring back Dreamfinder.
2) Reopen WOL, give it a fresh new look to attract new people.
3) add a family friendly attraction to Future World East, perhaps a companion to M:S or Test Track.
4) add attraction to World Showcase, make it more than "Beers around the world."

AK: $500 Million
1) Replace that rediculous mess in Dinoland with some decent rides.
2) greenlight Beastly Kingdom with an animatronic spectacular.

MGM: $400 Million
1) Rehab The Great Movie Ride, keep the basics but update/expand it with many newer movies. Wouldn't a lifesize Titanic sinking be cool? this could use the supersize screens from Horizons.
2) Add a Family friendly ride, perhaps Muppet or Cronicles of Narnia based.

Included in each amount is a fund for general upkeep and repair of existing buildings and show. I want every little light twinkling, every sign painted, and so on.

awalkinthepark

this rumor comes from my father in law who heard it from someone at KSC

This is obviously way out there in 'rumor-ville' but it some how relates to this discussion.

A KSC employee told my FIL that the huge expanse of land across the street from my FIL's gated community in Titusville is half owned by Disney and the other half owned by Six Flags.....not together...but one owns one part and the other owns the other part. This person told my FIL that Disney plans to build a 'space themed' park to compete with KSC and will be running monorails from WDW to Titusville. Now my FIL is excited because he thinks he can just ride his ECV across the street to Disney...I explained to him that if Disney did own some land over there I could see 'maybe' a hotel to accomodate cruise line guests but it would still require a 20-30 minute bus ride to Port Canaveral which to me as a tourist isn't a very appealing option...but building an entire park/resort was a stretch for even the wildest imagination.

speck76

awalkinthepark said:
This is obviously way out there in 'rumor-ville' but it some how relates to this discussion.

A KSC employee told my FIL that the huge expanse of land across the street from my FIL's gated community in Titusville is half owned by Disney and the other half owned by Six Flags.....not together...but one owns one part and the other owns the other part. This person told my FIL that Disney plans to build a 'space themed' park to compete with KSC and will be running monorails from WDW to Titusville. Now my FIL is excited because he thinks he can just ride his ECV across the street to Disney...I explained to him that if Disney did own some land over there I could see 'maybe' a hotel to accomodate cruise line guests but it would still require a 20-30 minute bus ride to Port Canaveral which to me as a tourist isn't a very appealing option...but building an entire park/resort was a stretch for even the wildest imagination.

Back in the early 90's there was a thought that WDC may build a park near the port to compliment the cruise line....it was to be a "Sea-themed park"

The thought at that time, which was later confirmed by the opening of DAK, was that there was already enough to do in Orlando.

I don't think building a park 45 miles away is going to be any better than building it at WDW.......although it was discussed at one time, I don't think we will ever see it happen.

Six Flags does not own ANY land in Florida. Besides, it is not in the Six Flags business model to build parks from the ground up, they prefer to aquire existing parks and renovate them. Furthermore, Six Flags has a very high debt ratio....they are on very shaky ground, and I would not be surprised if they sell-off a number of parks just to stay afloat.

The Monorail from Orlando to the Cape was not a Disney project, but part of the proposed FOX (Florida Overland Express) project, which is no longer a funded project, and is not at all likely to happen.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom