Monorail or Expansion?

Where would you use the $2 billion?

• Total voters

prisoner

Why monorail.

Thrawn said:
I find it humorous that 17 people at this point have voted for the monorail, but none of them have commented as to why.

I didn't vote for the monorail, but I'll tell you why I almost did.

Because, as a visitor to WDW, busses suck and should be wiped off the face of the cosmos.

Busses are a prime example of where the magic has gone out of WDW. As clear an example as burnt out lightbulbs, faded paint, and off-the-shelf rides. In fact, it is an off-the-shelf ride, and we should criticize it the same way we have criticized those rides.

We tell Disney that it should spend its money where it is important - on the guest experience. The transportation system as a whole, the Monorail, trams, boats, roads, and even the busses, are a significant part of the guest experience.

As a guest experience, busses are at the bottom of the list. Almost every visitor to WDW will have ridden a bus in their past. Many, adults and kids alike, probably ride them daily. How many ride a monorail (not a train, a monorail) or a boat? Some, certainly, but far fewer. Other forms of transportation at Disney are special in this way, and this contributes to making the place and the visit special.

What is the queueing experience like for a bus vs monorail? What is the loading experience like with a stroller or wheelchair in a boat or monorail vs a bus? What is the loading experience like even for people without these? What is the average wait time at the Yacht Club for a bus compared to the wait time at the Poly for a monorail? What is it like standing packed into a bus vs standing packed into a monorail? With questions like these, the bus falls far short in every way.

I will not deny that busses have advantages - they scale well, are cost effective at most levels of scale, and do not require significant additional development or infrastructure to use. But choosing something besides "monorail" based strictly on cost is as soulless as choosing to eliminate fireworks, parades, rides, or basic maintenance based solely on their cost. And I suspect most people here would want to continue said fireworks, parades, rides, and maintenance.

Now... see my other answer for why I voted against monorails.

astewart

If you really wanted to keep this as an unbiased post you would have

1. Left his line out:

Granted, using it in other places will create new income, but lets leave that out of the argument.

2. Changed the wording of :

If you use it in other places, post explaining a couple reasons why. If you use it on the monorail, give a reason why thats better than upgrades and new things to do.

To something more like:

If you use it in other places, post explaining a couple reasons why it's better then the monorail. If you use it on the monorail, give a reason why thats better than upgrades and new things to do.

BTW: i voted monorail just becuase of your bias in the wording of the poll

Thrawn

Account Suspended
Original Poster
astewart said:
If you really wanted to keep this as an unbiased post you would have

1. Left his line out:

Granted, using it in other places will create new income, but lets leave that out of the argument.

If I didn't put that line, then I'm 100% someone would have said "I'll do XXXXX with it, then use the money from that to build the monorail".

2. Changed the wording of :

If you use it in other places, post explaining a couple reasons why. If you use it on the monorail, give a reason why thats better than upgrades and new things to do.

To something more like:

If you use it in other places, post explaining a couple reasons why it's better then the monorail. If you use it on the monorail, give a reason why thats better than upgrades and new things to do.

Your way is more biased than mine. I'm asking for the reasoning behind the decision, you are asking them to say why the monorail is bad. Thats not what I want.

BTW: i voted monorail just becuase of your bias in the wording of the poll

Yeah, that makes sense? :hammer: Why not just not vote instead of throwing off the integrity of the poll?

astewart

But the way you are asking it, you are saying what would you build if you choose other projects. Then you ask why monorail is better then other projects.

The 2 questions are not equal. They should both either say why is x better then y or y better then x. Or they should both simply say why is x better or why is y better

Yeah, that makes sense? Why not just not vote instead of throwing off the integrity of the poll?

because i can

Thrawn

Account Suspended
Original Poster
astewart said:
But the way you are asking it, you are saying what would you build if you choose other projects. Then you ask why monorail is better then other projects.

The 2 questions are not equal. They should both either say why is x better then y or y better then x. Or they should both simply say why is x better or why is y better

Thats NOT the question on the poll though. Those are the questions to get some conversation going on the thread. The question on the poll is right at the top of the first post.

because i can

Congrats on turning 12.

astewart

Anyway, done making my point, I just don't feel like trying to explain it any further. If you don't get my point oh well... i don't really care. If you do get my point, oh well I don't really care

Congrats on turning 12.

Thanks, I had a wonderfull birthday!

PamelaNiebergal

I'm voting for monorail for several reasons 1) because it is unrealistic to say it has to be all or nothing and I would like to see a smaller expansion to MGM or maybe even AK (although I don't know if that would even be possible) 2) because I love the monorail experience and most importantly 3) because I don't like being told how to think.:)

speck76

monothingie said:
You know the funny thing is that if it weren't for the fact that Disney is a private company, they could apply or develop some serious capital for such mass transit projects through the levying bonds and getting DOT subsidies.

Reedy Creek on the other hand could issue long-term bonds or take advantage of govt subsidies. That $2 billion might not be as difficult to get as you think. Then lease operations of the systems to the WD company. Look at the LA subway system or the LV monorail system as examples of similar approaches.

I am sure the DOT would be all over helping out WDW, especially since they have done such a fantastic job funding projects throughout the other areas in Central Florida :rolleyes:

TimeTrip

speck76 said:
unfortunately most people are emotional, not logical thinkers........

Yep.. thats right. Emotion should never be involved with anything at Disney World. Disney Magic? That's not logical!

Thrawn

Account Suspended
Original Poster
TimeTrip said:
Yep.. thats right. Emotion should never be involved with anything at Disney World. Disney Magic? That's not logical!

Emotion is fine when it comes to something like the Disney magic. However, neither emotion or magic will ever change the way WDW guest flow works.

Disneyfan1981

Voted for other projects because either way you slice it, the Monorail expansion if it happens will only happen if the parks are full of people that need to go from park to park on something else other than buses. Pump up the parks get them to capacity and then expanding the monorail for its look as well as transportation value will be a lot easier to shallow.

TimeTrip

Thrawn said:
Emotion is fine when it comes to something like the Disney magic. However, neither emotion or magic will ever change the way WDW guest flow works.

But it does change the way people feel about how they travel. Why do people view the monorail from an emotional standpoint? Sometimes you can't explain it, but they do. For some of us, there's something "special" about riding the monorail.

Why did they build the original monorail system? If they were thinking strictly crowd control and money they probably shouldn't have put the monorail system in in the first place. I'm just trying to say that you shouldn't discount the emotional aspects of a monorail system.

And again. I just want to state that I agree that they really shouldn't spend the money to expand the monorail system. They layed WDW out completely incorrectly for that kind of system to work.

joshwill

Thrawn said:
I'm tired of the monorail threads, so I want to create this poll so I can link to it whenever a new monorail thread starts.

maybe you should take your own advice. if you dont like them, ignore them.

Lynx04

TimeTrip said:

Emotions shouldn't interfer with logical business decisions.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom