Monorail or Expansion?

Where would you use the $2 billion?

• Total voters

Thrawn

Account Suspended
Original Poster
AngryEyes said:
Yeah. The very definition of a biased poll question.

Do you think we should use a bunch of money for things that are really cool that everyone would love and are really smart and exciting and great and guaranteed to be shows and attractions with cutting-edge technology or would you rather admit you're stupid and use it for something uncool like connecting everything in the World to every other thing in the World by monorail?

1. Monorail expansion does not have to be and probably wouldn't be all-encompassing. If you connected everything to everything else, it would be a nightmare. You'd see nothing but monorail tracks everywhere. Any expansion that were to take place would likely be on a much smaller scale than you're suggesting.

2. Does not spending a certain amount of money on monorail expansion necessarily equal spending that same amount on shows and attractions? Of course not. Maybe they decide to buy more buses or give CM's raises or buy more land in Texas or buy another corporation or whatever else they might decide to spend this money on. The two choices given are not an either/or. They could be a both/neither.

3. If this hypothetical money were spent on shows and attractions, are we guaranteed a top quality product that everyone will love and that will add to our park experiences? Judging by the amount of complaining done on this board about more than a few shows and attractions, I'd have to say no. So, after spending $300 million on some duds that have to be reworked and/or abandoned altogether for new attractions, would we still be better off having not spent that money on a monorail expansion?

4. Why not just link people to other threads I've seen wherein several people made solid, well thought out arguments on both sides of the debate? Oh, yeah. There wasn't a biased poll question as the lead-in.

I personally don't care one way or the other, BTW. Either expenditure would most likely make my trip better.

I think you missed the point. Its a "what if". Answer that, and not worry about the other stuff. Let me edit a new question in, to keep you happy.

1) For this poll, it is. You can rest assured that if it was to happen, it would be big, not some small "lets add MGM" type thing.

2) WDW resorts get to keep a certain amount of its income for its own projects. In this hypothetical, it has $2 billion. The question is which to spend it on. I never said that it had to be spent in the parks, just "all on the monorail" or on other things. Thats the way it would work if it really happened.

3) You would get projects based on their budget.

4) Because, that was not the point. The point was to see how Disney fans felt about what should be done with an amount of money. Where is the bias in the poll? I don't see it. Just two options to be done with the money.

I find it humorous that 17 people at this point have voted for the monorail, but none of them have commented as to why.

Thrawn

Account Suspended
Original Poster
Disney13Scott said:
Just what we needed, another posting about the Monorail :rolleyes: ........ I guess you can get away with it by saying "I am tired hearing about a particular subject, so here is my opinion and a poll to vote also". You do this after chewing out someone for bring up the subject in the first place! :hammer: Interesting concept.....

I did not post my opinion in this thread. Just the background on the poll. And I also posted why I created this poll, so it can be used when new monorail threads pop up in a month or two months.

TimeTrip

Thrawn said:
I find it humorous that 17 people at this point have voted for the monorail, but none of them have commented as to why.

Maybe to offset the obvious bias in your poll? Ever think of that? You've got quite the agenda going.

I like the monorail, but I agree that it's just not feasible to expand it. But you're arguing against it with extremes. Your poll pretty much reads to me like this:

"Monorail?"
"A - Yes, I'm an idiot! Spend away!!!!"
"B - I'm smart, put the money to someplace useful"

You look for this poll to point to when someone starts monorail thread, and you expect people to take is seriously when they see how it was stated?

Thrawn

Account Suspended
Original Poster
TimeTrip said:
Maybe to offset the obvious bias in your poll? Ever think of that? You've got quite the agenda going.

I like the monorail, but I agree that it's just not feasible to expand it. But you're arguing against it with extremes. Your poll pretty much reads to me like this:

"Monorail?"

You look for this poll to point to when someone starts monorail thread, and you expect people to take is seriously when they see how it was stated?

If they don't want to read the first post, theres nothing I can do about that. And it really isn't "extremes". Thats the way it would work. Spend it all on the monorail, or do anything else you want to with it.

LoisMustDie

TimeTrip said:

"Monorail?"

Wow...someone's got drama. Don't you feel the slightest twinge of hypocrisy when you ridicule Thrawn for "having an agenda?" From where I'm sitting, yours is much more transparent.

And how about some ACTUAL EVIDENCE to back up your claims, instead of blowing what he's been saying completely out of proportion?

TimeTrip

Sorry, it just reads to me as a loaded poll. That's why I personally haven't voted on it. I obviously would like to have more monorail. However, if I vote for the other option, I feel like I'd be saying that I don't want monorails ever. And you're probably right, I do have an agenda to try and deflate some of the monorail hating going on :(.

LoisMustDie

TimeTrip said:
Sorry, it just reads to me as a loaded poll. That's why I personally haven't voted on it. I obviously would like to have more monorail. However, if I vote for the other option, I feel like I'd be saying that I don't want monorails ever. And you're probably right, I do have an agenda to try and deflate some of the monorail hating going on :(.
So you're not going to even try and prove me wrong, while trying to belittle my comments by being sarcastic? How disappointing.

TimeTrip

Thrawn said:
If they don't want to read the first post, theres nothing I can do about that. And it really isn't "extremes". Thats the way it would work. Spend it all on the monorail, or do anything else you want to with it.

The way you present it, it seems like Disney has already done an analysis and come up with a $2 billion number. Who knows what an expansion would really cost? The amount an expansion could be varied is pretty extreme, as well as the range on a price tag. From my chair, you're posting up a huge number of $2 billion to prove a point.

TimeTrip

LoisMustDie said:
So you're not going to even try and prove me wrong, while trying to belittle my comments by being sarcastic? How disappointing.
Prove you wrong? huh?

EDIT: Nm, i get it now :)

Thrawn

Account Suspended
Original Poster
TimeTrip said:
The way you present it, it seems like Disney has already done an analysis and come up with a $2 billion number. Who knows what an expansion would really cost? The amount an expansion could be varied is pretty extreme, as well as the range on a price tag. From my chair, you're posting up a huge number of $2 billion to prove a point.

I am posting $2 billion because it is a realistic number. In the other thread, I posted a link that 14 miles of track in Seattle is going to cost $1.75 billion. There would be far more than 14 miles in WDW. It would defintely be more than $1 billion without a doubt. $2 billion is a nice, round number.

TimeTrip

Thrawn said:
I am posting $2 billion because it is a realistic number. In the other thread, I posted a link that 14 miles of track in Seattle is going to cost $1.75 billion. There would be far more than 14 miles in WDW. It would defintely be more than $1 billion without a doubt. $2 billion is a nice, round number.

My point is, we don't know that it will be 14 miles. You're not qualifying what the extent of monorail expansion would be for $2 billion. An option of "monorail" doesn't really convey that. An expansion could be something like, make a line from Epcot to MGM, or Epcot to DTD. Would that cost $2 billion? :)

Thrawn

Account Suspended
Original Poster
TimeTrip said:
My point is, we don't know that it will be 14 miles. You're not qualifying what the extent of monorail expansion would be for $2 billion. An option of "monorail" doesn't really convey that. An expansion could be something like, make a line from Epcot to MGM, or Epcot to DTD. Would that cost $2 billion? :)

Read the first post. I said its $2 billion for it to be run to everything. They will either do everything, or just do TTC to Downtown Disney. The first because it connects everything, the second because of the influx of visitors to DTD.

TimeTrip

Thrawn said:
Read the first post. I said its $2 billion for it to be run to everything. They will either do everything, or just do TTC to Downtown Disney. The first because it connects everything, the second because of the influx of visitors to DTD.

Ooo, you got me there. Just be careful using this poll as a point of reference. Because people could say, "Well we want to discuss a not-so-grand monorail expansion, so the poll doesn't apply".

Thrawn

Account Suspended
Original Poster
TimeTrip said:
Ooo, you got me there. Just be careful using this poll as a point of reference. Because people could say, "Well we want to discuss a not-so-grand monorail expansion, so the poll doesn't apply".

True, but then the question becomes: If Disney is spending the money, why wouldn't you want them to go all the way? Personally, if they built just an expansion to MGM or DTD, I think that would be WORSE than going all over property, even though they wouldn't be wasting as much money.

Its not only the money factor though. The monorail is hugely inefficient for WDW traffic patterns.

KaliSplash

The monorail is neat and I would love to see an expansion of the system.
But reality says I would much prefer them to spend that much money on improving espeically AK and then MGM and then Epcot.

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
You know the funny thing is that if it weren't for the fact that Disney is a private company, they could apply or develop some serious capital for such mass transit projects through the levying bonds and getting DOT subsidies.

Reedy Creek on the other hand could issue long-term bonds or take advantage of govt subsidies. That $2 billion might not be as difficult to get as you think. Then lease operations of the systems to the WD company. Look at the LA subway system or the LV monorail system as examples of similar approaches.

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
BRER STITCH said:
If it's good enough for Springfield, then by golly, it's good enough for us!

:D

But Main Streets still all crumbled and broken.
Sorry Marge the mob has spoken...

Monorail...Monorail....Mono-D'oh!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom