Monorail line repairs at EPCOT today

Nubs70

So for WDW to perform maintenance inspections with their own drone flying 60ft off the ground requires FAA approval?

Creathir

raymusiccity

It seems like there are more and more days with these "overflow" busses being put in service over the past few years. I'd much rather see an investment in more Disney transportation (we'll just leave my monorail centric wish list out of this ;) ) but I'm assuming that from a cost standpoint it must be advantageous to rent or lease capacity versus investing in your own equipment. But given the increasing frequency of it having to be used, wouldn't there be a point where adding your own capacity makes more sense? There are costs of course, but I also wonder about the branding and image issues that this creates on a daily basis. As image conscious as The Mouse tends to be, seeing hordes of generic busses on site hauling guests around has got to be less than ideal.

I'm sure that there are a lot of us who would hope your monorail centric wish comes true. If Disney can build a 28 acre solar farm, they can surely come up with funding their longstanding monorail expansion plans.

There are multiple sources that can be quoted, with similar details:

"Whilst having approximately 24 kilometres of track, future developments have already been planned. It is believed that construction work has already taken place, with a view to expanding the monorail system between EPCOT, MGM Studios, Downtown Disney, and Animal Kingdom. Trees have been cleared and pylon footers have been poured for some time. When EPCOT was built, pylon footers were buried through world showcase so they could expand to the Studios...."

MonorailLover

Not to mention "drones", at least ones which the general public can acquire, are just R/C aircraft. Currently the FAA does not regulate these in any fashion, outside of a few no fly zones. (The Super Bowl be pretty much all of DC inside the Beltway)
I'm sure that there are a lot of us who would hope your monorail centric wish comes true. If Disney can build a 28 acre solar farm, they can surely come up with funding their longstanding monorail expansion plans.

"Whilst having approximately 24 kilometres of track, future developments have already been planned. It is believed that construction work has already taken place, with a view to expanding the monorail system between EPCOT, MGM Studios, Downtown Disney, and Animal Kingdom. Trees have been cleared and pylon footers have been poured for some time. When EPCOT was built, pylon footers were buried through world showcase so they could expand to the Studios...."

Sources have only proven to be false, unfortunately.......

The only time I see monorails being expanded are if we have a transportation-focused innovative CEO after Iger, or the government offers new tax deductions or grants towards companies or cities for new modes of public transportation.

"It is believed that construction work has already taken place, with a view to expanding the monorail system between EPCOT, MGM Studios, Downtown Disney, and Animal Kingdom. Trees have been cleared and pylon footers have been poured for some time. When EPCOT was built, pylon footers were buried through world showcase so they could expand to the Studios...."

Nope, nope, NOPE....

But seriously, as you can tell with this dated article, it gets re-rumoured every month or two, but never happens, and it won't for a long time.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Why don't they consider a new mode of transportation that doesn't have to be high in the air like a monorail like some of the mass transit trains you see in larger cities. They could still look like monorails but be cheaper to build maybe?

Part of the reason why a monorail was used in FL is the soil mechanics, It's a lot easier (and cheaper in the intermediate and long term) to build a stable support every couple hundred feet than it is to create a conventional ballasted railroad roadbed.

Look at how much maintenance the rail bed of the WDW RR requires and that's not a heavy train compared to standard gauge equipment.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
Part of the reason why a monorail was used in FL is the soil mechanics, It's a lot easier (and cheaper in the intermediate and long term) to build a stable support every couple hundred feet than it is to create a conventional ballasted railroad roadbed.

Look at how much maintenance the rail bed of the WDW RR requires and that's not a heavy train compared to standard gauge equipment.

That's a good point I hadn't thought of that

there's all the roads for vehicles that seem to work so... I don't know what the answer is but Disney really needs to think about long term transportation and I'm not sure busses are the right answer in my opinion

PhilharMagician

I think the answer for the future WDW is NOT busses...maybe as one of the options but something monorail-like needs to be available to all parks all resorts. Yeah I know I know but... :)

Absolutely. WDW needs a billion dollar non-flexible transportation system that would increase a guests travel time everywhere. o_O

A simple buss bar break just shut down the Epcot monorail line until repaired. Can you imagine without the flexibility of busses there would be complete chaos with guests stranded.

Monorails are definitely cool and a part of Disney theme park history, but as a secondary transportation system.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Absolutely. WDW needs a billion dollar non-flexible transportation system that would increase a guests travel time everywhere. o_O

A simple buss bar break just shut down the Epcot monorail line until repaired. Can you imagine without the flexibility of busses there would be complete chaos with guests stranded.

Monorails are definitely cool and a part of Disney theme park history, but as a secondary transportation system.

Even cooler would be launching guests in ballistic arcs from one property to another.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member

I didn't mean get rid of busses I meant they need other options. The bus system has its share of issues just like the others

Jahona

Why don't they consider a new mode of transportation that doesn't have to be high in the air like a monorail like some of the mass transit trains you see in larger cities. They could still look like monorails but be cheaper to build maybe?

Besides the anchor problem that another user has mentioned, light rail isn't any more reliable than the current monorail system. I've taken light rail to work for the past 2+ years. At least once a week a train has broken down or there is issues with signals and power lines. The Trains that the local county uses are made by Kinki Sharyo. The other light rail line near me uses Brookville streetcars and at least several times a week I'm getting a notification of an issue on the line. In the long run light rail might be cheaper but the up front costs are drastically more expensive than buses. Also I believe you wouldn't save any more on trains for light rail as I believe their about the same price as a new Bombardier monorail.

If we went really crazy how about building a hyperloop. Elon Musk has really wanted to build one so see about getting him to sponsor one.

PhilharMagician

Besides the anchor problem that another user has mentioned, light rail isn't any more reliable than the current monorail system. I've taken light rail to work for the past 2+ years. At least once a week a train has broken down or there is issues with signals and power lines. The Trains that the local county uses are made by Kinki Sharyo. The other light rail line near me uses Brookville streetcars and at least several times a week I'm getting a notification of an issue on the line. In the long run light rail might be cheaper but the up front costs are drastically more expensive than buses. Also I believe you wouldn't save any more on trains for light rail as I believe their about the same price as a new Bombardier monorail.

If we went really crazy how about building a hyperloop. Elon Musk has really wanted to build one so see about getting him to sponsor one.

For what? So you can wake up in the Contemporary and catch the hyperloop to Disneyland for rope drop?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom