Monorail Front-Riding

kingdaniel97

Original Poster
Does anyone know if/when this will be returning? I'm going down to Disney with some friends next year and I wanted to show them it.

I really hope this isn't a "too soon" topic, I don't mean offense, I'm just curious.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Disney's not saying anything. If they ever do, it'll probably just start happening one day, no announcement, no fanfare... But I personally doubt it ever will be allowed again, too much liability. :(

kaos

I thought I saw a thread not too long ago about someone that was in the front recently... I wasn't aware that it was suspended still, I thought just through the investigation...

I never really saw it as a liability. The trains are protected as long as overrides are not in place, which is only during switching operations. Maybe with the new position and procedures, front riding will return sooner rather than later.

bgraham34

I would not be surprised if somewhere down the line they open it up to guests again. But most likely it will be some sort of special perk.

mls

Not last month, anyway...

We were there last month and I asked. The driver said, "We're not doing it anymore." She didn't give any details and actually walked away. They must be getting asked a lot because it seemed like it wasn't something she wished to discuss further.

David S.

I'd love to see it come back, but if it doesn't, I'll certainly understand why and have no complaints whatsoever.

I'm thankful I've had the chance to do it in the past, at least once on all three lines. My favorite was the Epcot line going INTO Epcot, because the Epcot line is the longest, and for a finale you were treated to a GREAT view of the inside of the park, and it was beautiful at night!

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I would not expect to see front riding allowed again until WDW receives new trains and even then that would be a big maybe. The current monorails have next to zero crash protection designed into the cabs. If a collision was to happen again anyone in the front cab would have a high probability of being seriously injured or killed. Disney dodged a huge bullet once and I do not see them tempting fate again.

Disneykidder

Wow...they really don't do this anymore? We did it on 08' and 07'. My son loved it. My hubby and I thought it was pretty neat, too. It's too bad...it is a great experience.:(

s8film40

They definitely need to bring this back it's been over a year now. I don't buy the liability thing if it's a risk to let someone up there because they think it could crash than they shouldn't allow anyone at all up there including the pilots.

Buried20KLeague

I would not expect to see front riding allowed again until WDW receives new trains and even then that would be a big maybe. The current monorails have next to zero crash protection designed into the cabs. If a collision was to happen again anyone in the front cab would have a high probability of being seriously injured or killed. Disney dodged a huge bullet once and I do not see them tempting fate again.

If they go back to using the system as it was designed (not override the safety system), I don't see how they would be at greater risk than people standing on a bus... Or even people seated in the bus without seatbelts.

After the accident, all the very in depth discussion here was facinating about how it all works, etc... And the one thing that seemed to be repeated over and over was that Disney had gotten too lax with the automated safety system. They would over-ride it in too many situations. Anyway... My point is, if they changed the policy to allow riders unless a safety over-ride is being executed, I can't see how it's not safe. There are many other forms of transport on property that I think pose more risk. :shrug:

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
If they go back to using the system as it was designed (not override the safety system), I don't see how they would be at greater risk than people standing on a bus... Or even people seated in the bus without seatbelts.

After the accident, all the very in depth discussion here was facinating about how it all works, etc... And the one thing that seemed to be repeated over and over was that Disney had gotten too lax with the automated safety system. They would over-ride it in too many situations. Anyway... My point is, if they changed the policy to allow riders unless a safety over-ride is being executed, I can't see how it's not safe. There are many other forms of transport on property that I think pose more risk. :shrug:
It is about perception more than reality. I would allow myself and my family to sit in the front of a monorail in a second because I know that they system is safe and that the chances of a repeat of the fatal accident being repeated border on astronomical. However, if something like this were to happen again with no structural updates to the front of the monorail to withstand a collision even the worst lawyer would have no problem getting a jury to find Disney negligent and at fault.

s8film40

Does anyone know why it is allowed in Disneyland's version still?

They've always been inconsistent with that, after September 11th they would not allow people to ride in the front at Disneyland for "security" reasons, that lasted for about a year I think. All the while people were riding up front at WDW with never any explantation as to what the difference was.

s8film40

It is about perception more than reality. I would allow myself and my family to sit in the front of a monorail in a second because I know that they system is safe and that the chances of a repeat of the fatal accident being repeated border on astronomical. However, if something like this were to happen again with no structural updates to the front of the monorail to withstand a collision even the worst lawyer would have no problem getting a jury to find Disney negligent and at fault.

So going by what your saying they shouldn't allow pilots up there either, right? If the same thing happened again with no structural updates the outcome would be the same.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
So going by what your saying they shouldn't allow pilots up there either, right? If the same thing happened again with no structural updates the outcome would be the same.
There is a considerable difference in legal liability when you are dealing with a customer vs an employee.

s8film40

There is a considerable difference in legal liability when you are dealing with a customer vs an employee.

I would think the liability would be greater for an employee, anyway I think your hypothetical reasoning applies very well, if another accident happened and an employee was injured due to the structure not being upgraded it seems likely that Disney would lose in a lawsuit. I just don't buy this as an excuse. If anything using this excuse seems to me to open them up to more liability, since they are essentially admitting that it is not safe in the front of a monorail by not allowing their customers up there. So if another accident happened I would imagine a lawyer would be asking the question "Why were guests not allowed up there" just hoping for them to say for safety reasons.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I would think the liability would be greater for an employee, anyway I think your hypothetical reasoning applies very well, if another accident happened and an employee was injured due to the structure not being upgraded it seems likely that Disney would lose in a lawsuit. I just don't buy this as an excuse. If anything using this excuse seems to me to open them up to more liability, since they are essentially admitting that it is not safe in the front of a monorail by not allowing their customers up there. So if another accident happened I would imagine a lawyer would be asking the question "Why were guests not allowed up there" just hoping for them to say for safety reasons.
I agree. A lawyer could spin it either way. More than anything I think they are trying to limit liability. One settlement is simply less expensive that five.

glennatwell1

I understand their not doing it and I understand why. This is all about perception anyway. As a security/operations analyst in another industry, the risk (the chance of something negative occurring) and therefore the liability (the actual responsibility should that risk ever materialize) is actually no different now than it was prior to the crash earlier this year. It just happens to be in the spotlight at WDW right now which is why it would continue elsewhere. It is a shame that we live in such a litigous society where focus alone makes something become more of a perceived liability and those that are hurt are the customers and the product.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom