Monorail Expansion?

GenerationX

Monorails are great and all, but the future is in Transporters. They're faster, use less energy, and won't disturb the water table. I just don't understand why they haven't put them in the resorts and parks yet. :confused:

Woody13

jmicro59 said:
Although I do agree some behavior on this board is offensive but I think Steve does a good job at "taming" those individuals, but we have to be adults, I mean c'mon. Someone calls you a name or disputes what you've posted and this makes you stop posting?!?!? You must drive a car and chances are you've had someone show you a certain hand gesture or called you a colorful metaphor, I assume this didn't make you stop driving. If you don't post due to these individuals then they win and the rest of us lose. It's very, very easy to just not reply or even read someone else's post that you find offensive, don't let it ruin your time doing something you enjoy. For every jerk on this board I bet you'll meet 10 great people with fantastic things to say and discuss. :)
That post made suffering through this thread worthwhile! Thank you. :wave:

cloudboy

I just want to add one thing to this discussion. When Disney first built their monorail in California, it was a new thing. That was a long time ago, and there are pleanty of monorails in existance around the world now. Agreed that there are only a couple of major ones on this continent, and they have been pretty much failures, but...

There are a lot of guestimations and just plain made up information thropwn about in these disussions both positive and negative. Before you start quoting any of these figures as fact, be absolutely sure that you are quoting true information, not just because some said that was true. Contruction costs, engineering costs, vehicle costs, utilization studies and everything else has been done many times before, both for monorail as well as other sytems.

The problem with this is that so many people have been providing false information as truth that it has hurt many, many projects not on Disney property. Keep in mind that if you start throwing out false information, you are not just affecting Disney, you are affecting many other cities that really cannot afford not to effectively examine all transportation alternatives.

Iakona

cloudboy said:
The problem with this is that so many people have been providing false information as truth that it has hurt many, many projects not on Disney property. Keep in mind that if you start throwing out false information, you are not just affecting Disney, you are affecting many other cities that really cannot afford not to effectively examine all transportation alternatives.

Maybe I am misunderstanding the post, but if Disney or any municipality is NOT bulding something because of information posted here then I have sadly underestimated the power of WDWMAGIC.

DavyPR

How about using a centralized parking structure eliminating all traffic on routes to and from the parks and resorts. Installing withing the current streets a transportation based on maglev trains but use the configuration of small busses. This would be a large investment at the beginning but theres a possibility of more buses when needed, cleaner for the environment, smoother rides, and faster arrival times all operated by computers. They can even make the busses(Pods) more aerodynamic. Hey i'm dreaming but i love the idea:)

Interruption?

DavyPR said:
How about using a centralized parking structure eliminating all traffic on routes to and from the parks and resorts. Installing withing the current streets a transportation based on maglev trains but use the configuration of small busses. This would be a large investment at the beginning but theres a possibility of more buses when needed, cleaner for the environment, smoother rides, and faster arrival times all operated by computers. They can even make the busses(Pods) more aerodynamic. Hey i'm dreaming but i love the idea:)
"Keep on keepin on beautiful dreamer, it's what makes the world go 'round."

Interruption?

DavyPR said:
Everyone would come to WDW just to ride there transports!!
Lol. It's already half of the experience for me. What would Disney be without that *GASP* sensation when you turn from behind the trees and Spaceship Earth looms in the distance like a mirage in the heat of the desert. What would Disney World be like if you simply parked your car and walked into the park in true Six Flags fashion. Surely the Disney we know would not be the same if it weren't for that breathtaking trip, gliding through the Contemporary Resort's lobby, with the huge mural expressing hope and happiness in the future. The monorails MAKE Disney World just as much as Disney World makes the monorails.

Epcot82Guy

Interruption? said:
Lol. It's already half of the experience for me. What would Disney be without that *GASP* sensation when you turn from behind the trees and Spaceship Earth looms in the distance like a mirage in the heat of the desert. What would Disney World be like if you simply parked your car and walked into the park in true Six Flags fashion. Surely the Disney we know would not be the same if it weren't for that breathtaking trip, gliding through the Contemporary Resort's lobby, with the huge mural expressing hope and happiness in the future. The monorails MAKE Disney World just as much as Disney World makes the monorails.

It would be called Disneyland... :lookaroun

goofyfan13

hakunamatata said:
They could use a transposition system like the one on the island from the Incredibles:lookaroun

You forget, thats gonna be put in Tomorrowland replacing the TTA. :lookaroun :lookaroun

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
goofyfan13 said:
You forget, thats gonna be put in Tomorrowland replacing the TTA. :lookaroun :lookaroun
Better not....I will sell my DVC, cancel my AP, Disney Visa, Dining Experience, and sell the stock I dont own yet....then start a rabid website....

PintoColvig

STR8FAN2005 said:
I want to know how monorails were affordable back then when they were relatively new but more expensive 30something years later. In theory, technology should get cheaper as time passes even with inflation.

This is an interesting thought. When the monorails were first put into WDW, the WD Company was relatively small compared to its current size. So, placing them was a far riskier investment back then than it would be today for Disney. Of course, the corporate climate has certainly changed since then and the return on investment plays a much bigger role in these decisions.

BTW, I have no problem with this thread. The OP simply reported a rumor. He even went so far as to give us an audio link featuring the CM saying the rumor without being prompted for it. (It's approximately 2/3rds of the way through, if you bother to listen to it). He went out of his way to show it was a rumor. If you bothered to read the post instead of just making an assumption about it, you would have noticed that he began by saying he was skeptical about it and then closed by noting it was CM speculation and that he was again skeptical about it. This is forum for rumors after all. He heard one, he passed it on. Don't like it? Don't read it. :lookaroun

wannab@dis

I'm willing to bet that the "affordability" of Monorails can be viewed in a couple of ways. First, are extensions REALLY needed for transportation or would they be more like an attraction for guests. I think it's fairly widely accepted that busses provide a far better transportation mode when you take into account breakdowns and peak usage and the ability to transfer capacity amongst areas of demand.

Second, even though technology is 'cheaper' now than it has ever been, contruction costs have skyrocketed. When you look at the costs of a large project, the labor, work comp, and insurance costs are MUCH higher than they have ever been. In addition, building codes are more stringent now along with environmental impact requirements for large projects.

I have no doubt that when you look at a feasiblity study for monorail expansion, the costs do not outweigh the 'possible' enhancement of transportation. At best, you have spent possible BILLIONS for a c-ticket attraction.

George

Liker of Things
Random outside the box thought. What if you could have your cake and eat it too? I was a grad student at the National High Magentic Field Laboratory in Tallahassee. We always had a map of a Mag Lev train connecting all the major cities in Florida on display, but government funding for a project this big was never forthcoming. In the current political climate with everyone calling for less dependence on foreign oil I think there is a chance someone in Disney could convince someone in government to partially underwrite some type of expansion of the current transportation system (be it a Mag Lev train, monorail, whatever). The government gets free advertising for a potential new form of public transportation without a large initial investment and Disney gets a much desired (though almost certainly too expensive if they pay for it themselves) enhancement of their current transportation system. Wishful thinking, but you never know.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom