Monorail Expansion?

cloudboy

I don't know. When you watch the buses transport thousands of guests out of the parks at closing in a relatively short period of time, it is hard to say they are not efficient.

Standing in long lines as you watch 10 busses go by, none of which serve your resort, while you wait for the right bus to come, only to discover it's going to be two more before you will be able to get on, then to be stuck in a pitching and jerking bus as it weaves around conors to make five stops at you resort, just so that you can then hop another bus to get to Dowtown Disney, isn't exactly my idea of efficiency. Agreed anything can be improved, but I still feel that the limits of a bus - drivers to steer, all the various traffic regulations and the limit to the length of them, ultimately hampers them.

peter11435

cloudboy said:
Standing in long lines as you watch 10 busses go by, none of which serve your resort, while you wait for the right bus to come, only to discover it's going to be two more before you will be able to get on, then to be stuck in a pitching and jerking bus as it weaves around conors to make five stops at you resort, just so that you can then hop another bus to get to Dowtown Disney, isn't exactly my idea of efficiency. Agreed anything can be improved, but I still feel that the limits of a bus - drivers to steer, all the various traffic regulations and the limit to the length of them, ultimately hampers them.
Well you have to change monorails to get to Epcot from MK. And the buses currently provide more direct routes than monorail expansion ever would.

At park closing at MK you often have to wait two or more monorails before you can get on.

freediverdude

Here, I found the exact quote:
"That's why I love Walt Disney. It costs $100,000 to build a spire you didn't need. The secret of Disney is doing things you don't need and doing them well and then you realize you needed them all along." - Ray Bradbury
I still think it applies- if Disney does the monorail well, even though may not technically "need" it, they'll realize they really did need it....

peter11435

NoNoNoNoNo said:
but if the bus wait is 5-6 busses and if i already waited 20 min for the first bus -- busses suck --
Yes but the only time you would have to wait more than one bus is at park closing. And at park closing I have never seen a gap of more than 3-5 minutes at the most between buses. Most times they are loading one right after the other and sometimes two or three at a time.

ThumpersThought

jmicro59 said:
Didn't see this posted by anyone but here is a link to some information that was done by a group called Light Rail Now. It's a bit dated, April 2004 but it's a pretty entraining read. I thought it was particularly funny when they called monorails "Gadget Transportation" :lol:
http://www.lightrailnow.org/facts/fa_monorail007.htm

It's also extremely biased -- it is written by a group that is trying to push light rail over monorails (and most other forms of mass transport). It's a fine example of what was written in another thread about authors munging data and facts to fit their agenda.

George

Liker of Things
I wonder how many people would be willing to pay an extra dollar or two for a monorail round trip? If a lot were willing to pay it would go a long way toward paying for expansion. My dad has taken a toll road for 30 years just to avoid traffic on the more crowded highways. Would your average tourist at Disney look at long lines for buses at the end of a busy day at AK, then glance at almost now lines for the monorail and think - You know for 4 bucks (say $1.00 each, family of four) we could all ride this?

jmicro59

ThumpersThought said:
It's also extremely biased -- it is written by a group that is trying to push light rail over monorails (and most other forms of mass transport). It's a fine example of what was written in another thread about authors munging data and facts to fit their agenda.

It sure is biased. :eek: And I totally agree on the data and facts to fit the agenda statement. It happens alot on this and other sites all the time. I just found it amusing and wanted to share. :)

peter11435

ASJHLJ said:
I wonder how many people would be willing to pay an extra dollar or two for a monorail round trip? If a lot were willing to pay it would go a long way toward paying for expansion. My dad has taken a toll road for 30 years just to avoid traffic on the more crowded highways. Would your average tourist at Disney look at long lines for buses at the end of a busy day at AK, then glance at almost now lines for the monorail and think - You know for 4 bucks (say $1.00 each, family of four) we could all ride this?
If monorails were expanded to included everything they would not still run buses. Thus if Disney charged to ride you would either be forced to pay to ride or would simply drive yourself. I myslef would be willing to pay to use WDW transportation if a high tech super efficient system was installed. I just don't think monorails are the answer.

MartyMouse

peter11435 said:
I myslef would be willing to pay to use WDW transportation

You are paying to use Disney transportation. Do you think that Disney needs to charge that much for parking? So guests who are not staying on property are paying for the transportation as well as the costs that are built into the room rates. It’s paid for in spades.

jmicro59

peter11435 said:
If monorails were expanded to included everything they would not still run buses. Thus if Disney charged to ride you would either be forced to pay to ride or would simply drive yourself. I myslef would be willing to pay to use WDW transportation if a high tech super efficient system was installed. I just don't think monorails are the answer.

I don't know if you stated this before but if the monorails aren't the way then what do you see as an alternative? Not trying to start a bickering match I'm just curious as I can't think of anything I'd rather ride on then a monorail.

peter11435

MartyMouse said:
You are paying to use Disney transportation. Do you think that Disney needs to charge that much for parking? So guests who are not staying on property are paying for the transportation as well as the costs that are built into the room rates. It’s paid for in spades.
I know full well that you do pay to use WDW transit. I just meant that I would be willing to pay seperatly.

peter11435

jmicro59 said:
I don't know if you stated this before but if the monorails aren't the way then what do you see as an alternative? Not trying to start a bickering match I'm just curious as I can't think of anything I'd rather ride on then a monorail.

Its not about which ones I'd rather ride. Its about which I think would most efficiently handle WDW's transportation needs. I just don't think monorails are the answer for this. I think whatever transporation system WDW has it must provide as many direct routes as possible. I can't see any way to service the entire property with monorails without having guests transfer monorails at least once on every route.

jmicro59

peter11435 said:
Its not about which ones I'd rather ride. Its about which I think would most efficiently handle WDW's transportation needs. I just don't think monorails are the answer for this. I think whatever transporation system WDW has it must provide as many direct routes as possible. I can't see any way to service the entire property with monorails without having guests transfer monorails at least once on every route.

Good points and I agree. The transfers are the killing point. If they could find a way to eliminate them or minimize them I think it would work but it won't if you need to do 3 or 4 transfers to get to say DTD from MK. The funny thing to me in all this is a good majority of us, probably all of us don't plan/design or build monorails and we are making points about issues monorails face and it makes me wonder how much the individuals who do this for a living have discussed this very topic and have either put it to rest or are actively looking at alternatives to this. :lol:

wdwishes2005

freediverdude said:
Here, I found the exact quote:
"That's why I love Walt Disney. It costs $100,000 to build a spire you didn't need. The secret of Disney is doing things you don't need and doing them well and then you realize you needed them all along." - Ray Bradbury
I still think it applies- if Disney does the monorail well, even though may not technically "need" it, they'll realize they really did need it....
like I said before, that would be like adding another castle to the existing one. There is no need for a monorail expansion.

cloudboy

Didn't see this posted by anyone but here is a link to some information that was done by a group called Light Rail Now. It's a bit dated, April 2004 but it's a pretty entraining read. I thought it was particularly funny when they called monorails "Gadget Transportation"
http://www.lightrailnow.org/facts/fa_monorail007.htm

That's what prompted my first reply. Some groups (PARTICULARLY Light Rail Now) really spread a lot of misconceptions around just because they do not like a particular technology. No matter how much you try and explain the technology (Monorail is basically a guided bus on a really, really narrow road), or how much you talk about numbers, people will through things around to try and discredit them. And they then convince others, who then try and convince yet others, that something is wrong with the technology.

OK, I am aslow, but what spire is he talking about that was uneeded?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom