Monorail Expansion...maybe..

Captain Chaos

Laura22 said:
I think the idea of the busses having their own seperate roads is a good one. Like their own "bus interstate" where there's no stops, only exits for the parks and resorts. Then it would only take a couple minutes to get from resort to park.

The already have their own entrances to the parking lots. But, the question is, can Disney build a new road just for busses? Also, since everyone on here is an expect, how much will this cost compared to building a monorail expansion? AND I MEAN NUMBERS, NOT JUST SAYING IT WILL BE CHEAPER.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
dxer07002 said:
The already have their own entrances to the parking lots. But, the question is, can Disney build a new road just for busses? Also, since everyone on here is an expect, how much will this cost compared to building a monorail expansion? AND I MEAN NUMBERS, NOT JUST SAYING IT WILL BE CHEAPER.
Bottom line no one has those numbers so all we can go off of are the costs in other cities that have built monorails and even those numbers are hardly accurate. The structural stability of the soil is a huge issue. As most people know WDW is built on primarily reclaimed swamp land and reclaimed land is notoriously unstable. So the type of supports that would be used in other places that have bedrock will be completely different that what would need to be used at WDW. Also the price of concrete and steel is outrageous right now. Over the last 2 years both materials have increased in price around 60% or more so yet again the numbers we have aren’t even close to accurate. I’ll say again let history be your guide. If monorail expansion was such a good idea why haven’t we seen any expansion happened in over 20 years?

Captain Chaos

Master Yoda said:
Bottom line no one has those numbers so all we can go off of are the costs in other cities that have built monorails and even those numbers are hardly accurate. The structural stability of the soil is a huge issue. As most people know WDW is built on primarily reclaimed swamp land and reclaimed land is notoriously unstable. So the type of supports that would be used in other places that have bedrock will be completely different that what would need to be used at WDW. Also the price of concrete and steel is outrageous right now. Over the last 2 years both materials have increased in price around 60% or more so yet again the numbers we have aren’t even close to accurate. I’ll say again let history be your guide. If monorail expansion was such a good idea why haven’t we seen any expansion happened in over 20 years?

I wouldn't look at why they haven't expanded the monorails in the last 20 years as a reason that Disney will never expand the monorails... Numbers alone will determine that... If the cost isn't worth it, then they won't do it... If the cost is worth it, then they will.. As I said, you don't know, I don't know, no one knows and we cannot pretend to know...

thedisneycast

This is all just a pipe dream...maybe we should start a petition or letter campaign. I feel they should at least connect MGM and AK because the monorail system always feels incomplete.

Just my 2cents.

mpaul32001

Hey everyone! I was have read every single post page on this topic so far and I would love for the monorail to be expanded........but......I have thought of an idea. how about a subway system....of course just like the monorail it has advantages and disadvantages but maybe it could work. its just an idea, no one get upset at me. I know some people can get furious about these threads in a snap. No one should get upset anyway. we're just telling everyone our opinions on the subject. don't mean to get all, well, passionate but i think when you signed up for the forums, you became a part of this family!

peter11435

dxer07002 said:
Peter, no one is saying the monorail should be the primary transit system.

There lies the biggest problem. Why spend billions of dollars on a monorail expansion and still not have it be the primary system. Even after expanding the monorail WDW would still have to maintain the bus fleet. Thus making it obvious that it would not be advantageous.

Captain Chaos

peter11435 said:
There lies the biggest problem. Why spend billions of dollars on a monorail expansion and still not have it be the primary system. Even after expanding the monorail WDW would still have to maintain the bus fleet. Thus making it obvious that it would not be advantageous.

Because some people prefer to take the monorail... if the monorail was an option to go to MGM or AK, I am sure a good number of people will ride it. There is no need to connect all the resorts and the water parks... Just connect it to MGM and AK.... If you were staying at Poly, and the monorail took you to MGM, wouldn't you use it?

Again, I don't have the facts and figures in front of me to analyze this. Disney does. They have not expanded the monorail, YET.. They haven't announced they are expanding it YET... Everything here is speculation, Will they or wont they.. We just cannot say for certain... Until Disney says HEY WE ARE EXPANDING THE MONORAIL, we can only assume they aren't... but, we cannot say they will NEVER...

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
mpaul32001 said:
Hey everyone! I was have read every single post page on this topic so far and I would love for the monorail to be expanded........but......I have thought of an idea. how about a subway system....of course just like the monorail it has advantages and disadvantages but maybe it could work. its just an idea, no one get upset at me. I know some people can get furious about these threads in a snap. No one should get upset anyway. we're just telling everyone our opinions on the subject. don't mean to get all, well, passionate but i think when you signed up for the forums, you became a part of this family!
The biggest problem with a subway is when you dig about 10-30 feet down in Florida you hit water.

peter11435

dxer07002 said:
Because some people prefer to take the monorail... if the monorail was an option to go to MGM or AK, I am sure a good number of people will ride it. There is no need to connect all the resorts and the water parks... Just connect it to MGM and AK.... If you were staying at Poly, and the monorail took you to MGM, wouldn't you use it?

Again, I don't have the facts and figures in front of me to analyze this. Disney does. They have not expanded the monorail, YET.. They haven't announced they are expanding it YET... Everything here is speculation, Will they or wont they.. We just cannot say for certain... Until Disney says HEY WE ARE EXPANDING THE MONORAIL, we can only assume they aren't... but, we cannot say they will NEVER...
While I agree that we can's say they will NEVER. I think the concept of spending billions of dollars on something not practical simply because "some people prefer to take the monorail" would have seemed dumb even to Walt.

Captain Chaos

And Peter you are probably right. At least you understand what I am saying though... I totally understand what you are saying... And while I do not THINK Disney will expand the monorails, at least not now, I also will not rule that possibility out...

CSOM

dxer07002 said:
Also, thrawn, I have read your posts for months now and came to one conclusion. You must have a miserable life. Every post on here puts dwn people who do not agree with you. Also, you try to belittle people who make you look foolish.. I hope your life turns around for you. obviously, your six filgure salary does not make you a happy person...

I need to throw some cents in this jackpot myself. About Thrawn, he gets a bad rap. Yes he is blunt, but he is blunt and honest, which I prefer over dreamy and unreadable... I also believe (the psychology classes coming out) that if his nickname was "Ariel" and his icon wasn't so commanding looking, people would take his messages a different way.

Is it out of line to ask people to come to a discussion with facts or well thought out posts? I think not. For goofyman, it is fine to have an opinion, but if it's not a well thought out opinion, don't get upset if people challenge you on it. It's my OPINION that WDW should be $20 a day, but that doesn't make it well thought out or that it should happen.

I just want to know why all the people here that want the monorail so badly are so convinced that that buses AREN'T the best answer? How much more would you pay per trip to take the monorail everywhere? How much more often would you go? (If the answers to the last 2 questions were "not much" then why would Disney build again?)

I feel like a complete WDWMagic-er now, that I've participated in a Monorail thread. Thanks!

PS - On thrawn's straight line comment, he was technically right as it the line doesn't curve at all, anywhere on the route. It has turns, yes, but the line is straight into the turn, and straight out of the turn. No curves on that line... :wave:

cloudboy

Check out this thread, from 4 or 5 months ago. The last 7 or 8 pages has all the data in it, from both sides. Really, REALLY long thread. But if you want the info, it's in there.

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?t=11160&page=1&pp=15

Sorry Tyler, didn't mean to stir things up, just didn't want to waste space regurgitating useless trivia.

Edit: OK, that didn't work. Something weird wiht the HTML. Just cut and paste into the address bar.

taholden

I remember reading on here that Disney had made a statement that they were no immediate plans to add another park in orlando. If that is true then they will probably be looking to continue enhancing there existing parks. A monorail expansion could fit into that scenario. This is just a possibility from my head and not based on any rumor.

thedisneycast

It's just not going to happen...logistics and environment... plus a whole new system would be needed..Why expand? The current system needs an overhaul and the current monorails are falling apart. if anything they need to expand what they have and add capacity. True the buses may be bulky and smelly and noisy but they are efficient. They should always have many different ways to travel (boat, ferry, bus, monorail) but I like most everyone else here would love to see mgm and ak connected to the monorail as well (and hey add Typhoon and Blizzard and DD while your at it.) That would rule!!

blahblahblah

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom