And I do my little turn on the catwalk
Yeah on the catwalk on the catwalk yeah
I shake my little touche on the catwalk

I'm too sexy for my cat too sexy for my cat
Poor __________ poor __________ cat
I'm too sexy for the bus too sexy for the bus
The bus is going to leave me

And I'm too sexy for this song

:lol: Man did I ever hate that song...or did I like it??I don't remember. Oh well I needed a good laugh after reading this thread!!

More proof that you don't have the facts!

Thrawn said:
They will have to get easements about the roadways. They are still state property.

Thanks for finally proving that you don't have the facts. Roads, like the rest of WDW, are not controlled by the state in any way, shape, or form. Hence, the different road signs and the like that you see around the property. You simply don't have the facts and don't know what you are arguing when you make such false statements. Everything on Disney property is controlled by Disney because Walt made sure of that. Disney got a sweetheart and shrewd deal as to control of his property in Florida.

no2apprentice said:
Okay, let's look at the facts:
"a great way to decrease pollution" You haven't posted any facts to support this.

"decrease long term costs for transportation" You haven't posted any facts for this.

"increase revenues to connected resorts and shopping areas" Once again, you haven't given any facts on this.

"increase guest satisfaction" Hello, facts, where are you?

Your overall statement has some good numbers, but your closing statement is all speculation and opinion. There are no hard numbers to support these statements. And these numbers would be very difficult to get, because some of them are numbers that only Disney would have.

The following is a quote from Inverno (Tyler) from the infamous "Monorail Expansion" thread in 2002.

Okay... I'll try my best to estimate a few costs... (Mind you, these are not solid numbers, but merely my best estimation based on factual numbers that I have seen, and my knowledge of Disney Transport & Monorails)

Monorail Trains -- $17m per train. I'm going to say we'd need 24 additional trains. That's $408 million right there, JUST for the trains alone. Never mind guideway, or stations. Guideway averages about $5m per mile. (I say average, because straightaways are cheaper... but curves/grades and special situations cost more). I'd guess we'd need approx 30 miles worth of guideway. About $150 million right there. Plus about $50 million for guideway within the resorts. (More on that later)

Now... We'd need to build a new train storage and maintenance facility. Those can get very expensive. Lots of switches, and lots of equipment. $10 million at least. Now, we have to build stations at the resorts, as well as a "Grand Central" type convergance point for all transfers. Now, keep in mind, I haven't even gotten into how on earth we'd fit a monorail into some of these resorts. Theming is a big element. And so is location. And they don't come cheap, either. We'll just say $200 million for all of the resort stations.

So far... thats $818 million dollars. And we haven't covered misc expenses, or "over budget"... because you know it'd run over budget. And, I didn't include replacement of our old trains. That would add an additional $204 million, which would make the grand total over ONE BILLION DOLLARS.

Okay, so yeah, maybe money does have something to do with it. But I can assure you... this system as I have described... would be the most efficient monorail system that they could build. However, it would take 2-3x as long to get to destinations, and require transfers. (two transfers to get to the MK... unless we rebuilt that system, which would cost another $50+ million.

By the way... Disney could buy about 65 busses for the price of one monorail. (not including guideway). Those 65 busses would have the flexibility to go anywhere at any time... bypassing other busses. Going off route to take someone someplace special. And most importantly... if one bus breaks down, they can quickly replace it. If one monorail breaks down, the entire system goes down.

This just illustrates my point of overexaggeration on numbers.

Seattle's costs are only $176,000,000 for 22 four-car trains not $408,000,000 million. I know that the estimate was for 24 trains and I believe that they have more than four cars, but the above was also in 2002 figures unlike Seattle's 2005 figures. In addition the $176,000,000 number is based on Seattle's highest budget estimate not the lowest.

Seattle's highest estimated cost for stations are at a total of $6,000,000 for each. Even if you added ten stations at WDW that would only be $60,000,000 not $200,000,000. ALL, YES ALL, of Seattle's stations are budgeted (again at the highest estimate not low estimate) at $108,000,000. Just be careful of numbers that are thrown out there from time to time without a concrete ground to stand on.

As to questioning the last statements, yes I do not have any exact facts on them and so they are opinion, but they are no less an opinion than those saying that it can't be done and would be a disaster to expand the monorail system rather than just adding more buses. Sorry to disappoint, but those statements are only opinions as well. This does not mean that there aren't arguments to support these opinions, but the fact remains that they are just opinions. Just like the argument that can be made that the monorail resorts book at more $$ per night per room than other resorts per night per room because of the monorail, and thus adding monorail to a few select additional deluxe resorts would increase the $$ per night per room for those select few deluxe disney resorts. Yes, I wish that I had access to all of the studies that Disney had on this issue. But do you have any FACTS to disprove my opinions listed at the end of my earlier comments which you call into question? Opinions as to the validity of my opinions, yes, but not facts that disprove the statements. Hello, where are your facts??????

Thrawn said:
Agreed, but the monorail isn't the right thing to do.

Then what is the right thing to do? Light rail. Let's see the disaster of this idea or any land based rail idea:

A land based rail will have to either make stops at certain crossings or force other traffic to stop at its crossings (more likely). This will add more congestion to the roads which, in turn, will cause slower and slower times for the buses. The same would be true of any other system that would travel over ground. With a monorail, you don't interfere with traffic flow on the ground at all.

More buses. Let's see the problems with this:
More buses and more traffic means more roads with more lights and stops slowing down traffic. Thus, adding more buses will increase rather than decrease the problem of traffic on WDW roads. And the last time that I looked, roads and the infrastructure that they require weren't free. More buses add more polution to the air in every since. In case you haven't noticed, buses are rather noisy (much noisier than monorails), and thus, you have increased the noise polution by adding more buses. Unless you haven't stood at a bus stop, buses create a considerable amount of air polution that monorails do not. So adding more buses means adding more air polution that you don't get with a monorail expansion.

So this leads me to my original question if not a monrail system to help alleviate the current and future added traffic problems in and around WDW, then what is the right thing to do?

tigger1968

Beating a dead horse a little bit more....

That's what I love about the monorail threads....they rear their ugly heads from time to time, and you end up with about 12 pages of the same arguments.....and I read every friggin' one! :lol:

Seriously, though, I would love to see the monorails expand, like just about everyone except Thrawn. Yes, I know the costs are very high. That doesn't mean it won't happen at some point. There's a reason they call them Imagineers, right? The monorails were originally designed as both transportation and as an attraction. This was from the original plan from before WDW construction began. I think there is a need to return to that conviction, as part of the magic for me on my trips is to ride a monorail to various destinations. Will it happen soon? I doubt it. Someday though? Most likely. We'll just have to wait and see.

garyhoov

Trophy Husband
So . . . I haven't bothered reading any of these threads for about the past 3 years. . .

Did we figure it out yet?:lookaroun

PurpleDragon

Good god:hammer: , I made no attempt to read all 10 pages of posts. But all I will say is "Ain't gonna happen". That CM was more than likely just pullin your leg to get a rise out of ya, it appears CMs get a kick outta that.:p

Captain Chaos

Ok, I feel the need to add my 2 cents in now.. I would like to see the monorail expanded to the parks and deluxe resorts only, not to all the resorts... Wil lthis happen, i do not know. Only the powers that be in Disney know the answer. So, for anyone on here to say IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN, you are speaking out of you know where... You don't know if it will or won't happen... Stop pretending you do.. Also, all of you who say it will happen, you don't know either... Saying you THINK it will or won't is different than say FOR SURE.. and most of you are saying FOR SURE this WILL NOT happen... Simply put, YOU DO NOT KNOW!!!

Also, thrawn, I have read your posts for months now and came to one conclusion. You must have a miserable life. Every post on here puts dwn people who do not agree with you. Also, you try to belittle people who make you look foolish.. I hope your life turns around for you. obviously, your six filgure salary does not make you a happy person...

And one last thing Thrawn, what is your definition of straight?? Is a circle straight? NO!!!!! So, anything with 90 degree turns is not a straight line... Maybe you need to be re-educated on the difference between a straight line and a curved line... I'll use an example to help you out TRAWN..

This is a straight line ________________________________

Just like driving down I-95 from NJ to Florida.. it may look straight, but, there is the beltway around D.C. Hence, the road is not straight.. And a monorail system that has sharp 90 degree turns is not straight either...

PurpleDragon

Basically the examples people have stated are enough proof that this won't happen.

They would have to pay billions of dollars to expand the monoral system and it would offer no real benefit to guests.
1. It would still have limited capacity and will never be as efficient as busses.
2. If 1 train broke down it would cause a massive crowd backup at multiple resorts and parks, thus causing a Guest Relations nightmare.
3. WDW gets no return on the investment into this multi-billion dollar project.
4. Trains are terribly expensive to keep running, far more so than the busses.

There are other reasons but I cant think of them right now. At this point the monorial system is more of a novelty than a viable means of mass transit. The capacity of the trains is somewhat limited and the cost to keep them running is far too high. The busses that run thruought WDW have a much higher capacity and they have the ability to add more if needed, that option does not really exist for the monorial system.

I just don't see the penny pinchers up at WDC allowing something like this to happen.

Captain Chaos

PurpleDragon, I see your point and understand what you and others are saying as to reason why you don't think Disney will build a monorail. But, what about the reasons WHY they will?

1. Busses wil lneed maintenance and gas in order to run. Not cheap at all. Cheaper than buying a monorail train, maybe. But think about the money that has to be shelled out to keep the busses running.

2. As traffic gets worse in WDW, busses will be stuck in traffic. Monorails do not have such problems. Also, on the roads, accidents can happen, resulting in injuries or worse. Again, something that can cost millions.

3. Monorails do hold more people than the over crowded busses. With people standing up on the busses, there is a disaster waiting to happen.

4. Want to make money? Well, Disney wil ldo what they always do, raise prices. If the monorail extends only to Wilderness Lodge and Animal kingdom Lodge resorts, those prices will surely raise. Depending how much they raise, over a 10 - 20 year time frame, the monorail will all be paid for. Just on the hike in resort rates, not including other hikes.

Now, I agree, an extention of the monorail wil lbe extremely costly. But, as I stated before, only Disney executives know what their current plans are. By weighing the cost of building the monorail compared to running the busses, I do not THINK Disney will expand the monorail anytime soon. But I am not in the circle of executives, so I can only express my opinion, not a for sure fact.

peter11435

dxer07002 said:
PurpleDragon, I see your point and understand what you and others are saying as to reason why you don't think Disney will build a monorail. But, what about the reasons WHY they will?

1. Busses wil lneed maintenance and gas in order to run. Not cheap at all. Cheaper than buying a monorail train, maybe. But think about the money that has to be shelled out to keep the busses running.

2. As traffic gets worse in WDW, busses will be stuck in traffic. Monorails do not have such problems. Also, on the roads, accidents can happen, resulting in injuries or worse. Again, something that can cost millions.

3. Monorails do hold more people than the over crowded busses. With people standing up on the busses, there is a disaster waiting to happen.

4. Want to make money? Well, Disney wil ldo what they always do, raise prices. If the monorail extends only to Wilderness Lodge and Animal kingdom Lodge resorts, those prices will surely raise. Depending how much they raise, over a 10 - 20 year time frame, the monorail will all be paid for. Just on the hike in resort rates, not including other hikes.

Now, I agree, an extention of the monorail wil lbe extremely costly. But, as I stated before, only Disney executives know what their current plans are. By weighing the cost of building the monorail compared to running the busses, I do not THINK Disney will expand the monorail anytime soon. But I am not in the circle of executives, so I can only express my opinion, not a for sure fact.
You are still missing the point. No matter how you spin it busses will always be more efficient than monorail for WDW. Sure one monorail holds about as much as four buses. But the advantages end there. You have to be realistic and look at the nightmare that would be a monorail based transit system for all of WDW.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
psuchad said:
In the end I see Disney Bus only roads being constructed to bypass the traffic.
Congratulations! :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy:
You have added probably the most intelligent well thought out and realistic solution to transportation woes at WDW. My hat is off to you

Captain Chaos

peter11435 said:
You are still missing the point. No matter how you spin it busses will always be more efficient than monorail for WDW. Sure one monorail holds about as much as four buses. But the advantages end there. You have to be realistic and look at the nightmare that would be a monorail based transit system for all of WDW.

I will say it again: I UNDERSTAND EVERYONE'S OPINION, BUT YOU DO NOT KNOW WHAT THE EXECUTIVES HAVE UP THEIR SLEEVE. You have to look at the advantages and disadvantages. And I am sure Disney has and is doing just that. If they find it adventagous, they will build it, if not, they won't.

psuchad

Monorails for everyone

Master Yoda said:
Congratulations! :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy:
You have added probably the most intelligent well thought out and realistic solution to transportation woes at WDW. My hat is off to you

While I think this is the likely solution, I still think a monorail of some type will be constucted at some time. Costs will go down on the technology (one would think) and it is a magical tool that Disney has. People love the thing as you can see at the length of this thread.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
psuchad said:
While I think this is the likely solution, I still think a monorail of some type will be constucted at some time. Costs will go down on the technology (one would think) and it is a magical tool that Disney has. People love the thing as you can see at the length of this thread.
I tend to agree with the member that said the monorail is more of a novelty or attraction than a reliable form of transportation. I also look at history to be my guide. If memory serves me correctly the last time the monorail was expanded was when EPCOT was built back in the early 80’s. If the monorail was an economically viable solution to transporting guests we would have seen at least some expansion in the last 20 years. Since we have not I can only assume that it wasn’t worth the cost. But anything could happen. For all we know the only thing holding back monorail expansion was Eisner and his penny pinching policies. IMHO if we don’t see Iger making a move toward it within the next few years the idea of expansion will be officially dead.

peter11435

dxer07002 said:
I will say it again: I UNDERSTAND EVERYONE'S OPINION, BUT YOU DO NOT KNOW WHAT THE EXECUTIVES HAVE UP THEIR SLEEVE. You have to look at the advantages and disadvantages. And I am sure Disney has and is doing just that. If they find it adventagous, they will build it, if not, they won't.
But thats just the thing, they will not build it because they know it is not adventagous.

Captain Chaos

peter11435 said:
But thats just the thing, they will not build it because they know it is not adventagous.

In all due respect Peter, are you an insider who knows for sure? Are you in on their meetings and know exactly what they talk about? Did you conduct their surveys? Unless you are on the inside, then you really cannot say THEY KNOW.... Maybe YOU think this, and others on this site think this, but you cannot say Disney KNOWS this...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom