Monorail Envy

Buried20KLeague

Well, so much for the argument of too expensive...

Someone needs to dumb this down for me... Is there anywhere showing what it's costing Brazil per mile?

Wouldn't it be great to have an ACTUAL number to know what it would take at WDW instead of the constant speculation?

Murphketeer

Nice. Walt would be proud that this technology is getting used elsewhere.

I would absolutely love to see more monorail service between all the parks. I'd even love to see service to Downtown Disney.

c-one

Someone needs to dumb this down for me... Is there anywhere showing what it's costing Brazil per mile?

Wouldn't it be great to have an ACTUAL number to know what it would take at WDW instead of the constant speculation?
Allegedly, it costs more to build these things in Florida because the ground is so swampy. Can't imagine building through an incredibly dense urban area is any more inexpensive, though.

The Decade of Brazil? :lookaroun

I like. "The Future!"
Brazil is on its way up. I know all the big new tourist spots are popping up in the Far East and Middle East, but I wouldn't be surprised if South America comes next. Disneyland Brazil doesn't sound very farfetched.

Slowjack

Well, so much for the argument of too expensive...
To be fair, Disney would be spending it's own money, that it would have to hope to recoup from guests from increased park visits and hotel stays. The government in Brazil is spending someone else's money. Disney would need the monorail expansion to make sense from a business perspective; in Brazil they are dealing with the political perspective, and there's no way the system is expected to be profitable in a strictly financial sense.

MarkTwain

To be fair, Disney would be spending it's own money, that it would have to hope to recoup from guests from increased park visits and hotel stays. The government in Brazil is spending someone else's money. Disney would need the monorail expansion to make sense from a business perspective; in Brazil they are dealing with the political perspective, and there's no way the system is expected to be profitable in a strictly financial sense.

Very true.

JimboJones123

WDW Monorail will NEVER expand!

Get over it people. With the going rate of $57.3 million dollars per every 1/2 foot of track, just linking Epcot and DHS would break the bank alone. We won't even discuss adding AK to the line.

Just let it go people!

lazyboy97o

Expansion is different that new trains, but unfortunately the INNOVIA 300 monorails appear to be wider and taller than the Mark VI monorails.

trr1

Get over it people. With the going rate of $57.3 million dollars per every 1/2 foot of track, just linking Epcot and DHS would break the bank alone. We won't even discuss adding AK to the line.

Just let it go people!

where did you get 57.3 million per 1/2 foot of track?
I would think that would be the cost for 1 -1 1/2 miles of track in florida

BalooChicago

With the going rate of $57.3 million dollars per every 1/2 foot of track

Source?

For the ~1 mile track built (or being built) at Bombardier's facility the cost was $2 million (Granted, that's the concrete cost)

http://www.thewhig.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=3194058

Jeff Bradfield, president and CEO of Anchor Concrete, said his company expects to be paid more than $2 million for its role in building the 1.7-km track, which will require 166 concrete beams on which the monorail train will run.

MDenham

the going rate of $57.3 million dollars per every 1/2 foot of track
Based on the figures in trr1's post, I come out to a figure of about $4400/foot, roughly (and a per-train cost of a little over $20 million dollars - dropping to six-car trains would put it at closer to $17M) so I'm going to have to ask you to kindly stop with the massively inaccurate numbers. :ROFLOL:

thehowiet

Wilson King of Prussia

Just let it go people!

You know if you don't like monorail threads you don't have to open them.:animwink:

Admiral01

Premium Member

Just let it go people!

Jimbo, considering you supply absolutly no source for that incredibly inaccurate statement, we can just ignore your input to this conversation. $57.3M per half foot is one of the dumbest things I read all night...and there was a debate on tonight... :)

That said, it would be nice if people like you, who really don't have any idea what they are talking about, didn't try and throw around fake facts and then tell the rest of us to "just let it go."

Did you ever write a paper for school arguing that the Earth was flat instead of round?

Rob562

If they are driverless why the windshiled wiper? Seems like an unnecessary cost. perhaps just a mistake on the mock up.

Even automated systems have to be operated manually now and then. In the monorail photo, there's a panel above the fire extinguisher and one to the left. I'd presume one of them hides the manual controls.

Perhaps these monorails have to be driven manually out of the yard and then once they're on the track and they (and the overall system) see where they are they start operating in auto mode. The ride vehicles on Universe of Energy have manual control panels at the rear. When the ride goes 101, they have to be manually reset to their "home" position on one of the turntables before the system can start back up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLsqzkYVhbs

-Rob

geubux

Only a couple SMALL holes in your arguement for WDW to get more/new monorails:
1) the drawing you show is a PROPOSED station...not yet built. True, it's under construction, but let's see the finished project. You would probably dump in your drawers if disney started then not finished a project of that magnitude.
2) You show the vision of a third world government, not a private enterprise. The government of Brazil can, and does, take money from it's citizens at the rate the govt chooses and spends it as it (the govt) wishes. In this case, it's to impress a bunch of drunk soccer fans next year.
3) Above said gov't does not have to nor does it spend it's money on feeding the poor. Disney has a few other properties to upkeep.(just read the posts when the paint peels on a door jam somewhere on property). The US govt spends most of it's money buying votes...er, supporting welfare and govt gimme programs.
4) Let's see a few years AFTER the Brazil system gets built (IF it gets built completly) and see if they default on loans to build or to pay the monorail company.

It's an interesting concept, but the proof is down the road. I have not seen a successful (re: can make enough money to support itself without govt assistance) rail system anywhere in the world. However, I can see govt supporting in crowded cities (NY, Boston, Philly, Europe, Japan, brazil, etc) in order to allow the population to travel to work and for enjoyment...work being the primary need.

Also, I would like to see an expansion at WDW, but they need some other areas to increase attendance and capacity FIRST, before the spend half a BILLION dollars on a glorified taxi cab system.:brick:

flavious27

It's an interesting concept, but the proof is down the road. I have not seen a successful (re: can make enough money to support itself without govt assistance) rail system anywhere in the world. However, I can see govt supporting in crowded cities (NY, Boston, Philly, Europe, Japan, brazil, etc) in order to allow the population to travel to work and for enjoyment...work being the primary need.

Also, I would like to see an expansion at WDW, but they need some other areas to increase attendance and capacity FIRST, before the spend half a BILLION dollars on a glorified taxi cab system.:brick:

I would love to see wdw expand the monorail out and make it as more of the primary source of transportation, but the cost is too high. Instead they should upgrade the bus fleet to be bio fuel hybrids that have solar panels on top, buses will be quieter and save them money. Along with that, they should look into having a prt system setup. A PRT setup would cost much less than a monorail and be setup to serve more guests.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom