Monorail enhancements coming soon?

Rowdy

Original Poster
Alright, well a few months ago it was a slow day at the Magic Kingdom, and we decided to head back to the room. Being on the monorail loop, we naturally took the monorail to our resort. So, we get on our monorail, and it was only the 3 people I were with in the whole car. Except moments before the doors closed 4 Disney employees (dressed almost like managers[walkie talkies, name tags, and all]. Very business savvy, but not in a 5 piece :lol:) entered in the opposite side of our car.

As the monorail started to take the journey to the Contemporary, they began to talk about TV's that will be inserted into the back and front portions of the monorails, in every car, on every monorail. They also mentioned what would be playing, and what company they'd be buying the televisions from, but I missed that. You can tell that they were having a conversation amongst themselves and it wasn't necessarily meant to be over heard. So, I doubt they were just messing with us.

The conversation did seem serious and it was continued since before they entered the monorail. Like I said, I highly highly doubt it was a show put on for the four of us. Then they stepped off at Contemporary and were on their way.

I'm sorry if this has been mentioned or discussed before, but I searched and couldn't find anything. So, maybe someone has some ideas as to what may be coming?

Thurp

Interesting. I guess it depends on what will be on the TVs.

If it's advertisements for DVC, longer stays, the latest movie and so on, then booo!

But if it's things like park schedule, next stop, time, temperature, etc, then that's not a bad addition.

Animaniac93-98

Interesting. I guess it depends on what will be on the TVs.

If it's advertisements for DVC, longer stays, the latest movie and so on, then booo!

But if it's things like park schedule, next stop, time, temperature, etc, then that's not a bad addition.

I could imagine both happening.

boufa

Disney likes the mass transit like qualities of the busses and, monorails. This small tweak would seem consistent with other mass transit systems.

What they need is actually expected wait times at the bus stops posted onsome sort of board.

SeaCastle

I would take this as a sign that they would not be replacing the current monorail fleet anytime soon, if they were to install televisions in the monorail. Of all of the things to spend money on at the resort (especially with transportation), I don't understand why they would go as far to do this.

menamechris

It could have been some brainstorming for the future - but I personally don't see this happening. I would be happy to see the nasty, worn, and often ripped up seats be replaced in the monorails before televisions being installed for my 1 minute, 30 second ride....

TP2000

I hope if this does happen, it's part of a DL-style refurb where they tear down to the frame and rebuild.

I think if they were doing a Disneyland-style tear down and rebuild we would have heard about it. But it sounds like they are going for an update to the interior.

They could still do an interior update to the WDW trains and give them a Disneyland style LED recessed lighting package and the glowy Monorail logo panels on the bulkheads of every cabin. The Disneyland monorails look especially snazzy at night, like stepping into an UltraLounge dance club or something. LED glow lighting would go a long way in updating the look and feel of the current WDW monorail fleet from its current carpeted 1980's look.

Disneyland Monorail Interior Lighting At Night - Don't Forget To Tip The Bartender!
2686842489_d0e9210528_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3091/2686842489_d0e9210528_o.jpg

Even if an interior lighting upgrade isn't a part of the plans for WDW trains, I do like the idea to have flat screen monitors in the cars giving park hours, weather, operating info, etc. That would be a great thing to offer!

But I hate the idea of monitors being used for a cheesy commercial for DVC, the latest marketing slogan, etc. That would likely be really tacky.

devoy1701

I think if they were doing a Disneyland-style tear down and rebuild we would have heard about it. But it sounds like they are going for an update to the interior.

They could still do an interior update to the WDW trains and give them a Disneyland style LED recessed lighting package and the glowy Monorail logo panels on the bulkheads of every cabin. The Disneyland monorails look especially snazzy at night, like stepping into an UltraLounge dance club or something. LED glow lighting would go a long way in updating the look and feel of the current WDW monorail fleet from its current carpeted 1980's look.

Disneyland Monorail Interior Lighting At Night - Don't Forget To Tip The Bartender!
2686842489_d0e9210528_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3091/2686842489_d0e9210528_o.jpg

Even if an interior lighting upgrade isn't a part of the plans for WDW trains, I do like the idea to have flat screen monitors in the cars giving park hours, weather, operating info, etc. That would be a great thing to offer!

But I hate the idea of monitors being used for a cheesy commercial for DVC, the latest marketing slogan, etc. That would likely be really tacky.

The only thing I didn't like about the DL monorail is that you have to watch your head! :hammer:

MonorailGuy11

I have heard that there was a plan to replace the fleet at WDW with the help of a sponsor, that would then turn the monorails into billboards for that sponsor...according to what I heard Disney rejected the plan, but it wasn't a completely dead idea.

Also green has a propulsion problem which is why it has trouble getting up the hill.

juniorthomas

TVs in the cars? Wow, nothing like dumbing down the Monorail experience...

Would not object to enhancements on the busses however :)

I don't agree that TVs would dumb the experience down. At best they'll be for park announcements. And besides, everyone looks out the windows the entire time anyway.

juniorthomas

I would take this as a sign that they would not be replacing the current monorail fleet anytime soon, if they were to install televisions in the monorail. Of all of the things to spend money on at the resort (especially with transportation), I don't understand why they would go as far to do this.

I wouldn't think that TVs in monorail cars would be too large of an expense.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom