Monorail Accident

DisneyJoe

Is it standard practice to have a train enter the terminals at that speed, which by looking at the damage is easily 40+

The maximum speed of the monorail during normal operations is 40 mph (at least according to Wikipedia).

Others have placed the speed of this crash at just 15 mph.

FreedomWrangler

Is it standard practice to have a train enter the terminals at that speed, which by looking at the damage is easily 40+

Might want to do a bit of good investigative police work and read the other 65 pages of thread for some details/background before handing out speeding tickets.

Just sayin'...I envy and enjoy good police work.

SOLISIMO

The maximum speed of the monorail during normal operations is 40 mph (at least according to Wikipedia).

Others have placed the speed of this crash at just 15 mph.

Im telling you right now based on my 10 years of experience that crash was not at 15 mph especially with a fatality

WDW Monorail

Im telling you right now based on my 10 years of experience that crash was not at 15 mph especially with a fatality

A car and a monorail are two totally different things. The inertia from a train moving at 15 is much, much greater than that of a car.
The train was moving no more than 15 mph, as allowed by the MAPO override.

Buried20KLeague

Everything you're asking about has been discussed MULTIPLE TIMES throughout this whole thread.

And fyi, you're talking about a 50 ton train plowing into a fiberglass cab. The damage you see wouldn't require 40+ miles per hour.

SOLISIMO

Might want to do a bit of good investigative police work and read the other 65 pages of thread for some details/background before handing out speeding tickets.

Just sayin'...I envy and enjoy good police work.

Spur lines do not allow the trains to go over 15mph.

If you two belive (by looking at those pictures) that this crash occured at 15mph then keep drinking the koolaid, and :the spur lines that wont allow the speeding train worked just like all the other safety measures did

As this is the only crash of a monorail that I have ever heard of I'm a little unsure as to how you come to that conclusion? Was it based on the amount of damage? If so you should remember that the monorail is a train that isn't designed to impact standards like an automobile. Looking at the pictures and knowing the amount of inertia that would be involved at only 15 mph I could easily see that much damage at that low speed.

Speed is only one part of the equation the other is the mass of the object. I would much rather be hit by photon traveling at the speed of light than a freight train at 5 mph... In fact I think while I was walking to lunch a few minutes ago I was subjected to millions of photon collisions.

erstwo

monorailfamily1.jpg

One Rail, One Family

Thank you for posting this.

To remind us that a "family" as well as two other families are mourning a huge loss this day and for many days to come.

My prayers now are with not only the family of the young man who lost his life, but also with those who were also working the monorail system that night.

This was a tragic accident.

Buried20KLeague

Okay, so I've read this whole thread off and on for the past couple days. Very interesting read, and I feel horrible for the family.

It's amazing to me the knowledge that we have among us on this site to get to the bottom of something like this using some pretty sophisticated logic.

My question is:

Do we think that purple (Austin) was completely handcuffed here because MAPO had him e-stopped (because pink was too close), and if that was the case, couldn't he have have hit override and thrown it into reverse even if he was e-stopped because of MAPO? Or if MAPO e-stops you, does it require a reboot to move?

I guess I want to think through what Austin's options were, basically. Everyone's talked about pink. But what could Austin have done? I've thought about it, and I'm guessing these were his only options:

1. Radio to get someone's attention.

2. Hit MAPO override without permission from Central

3. Open the door and jump

Can we think of anything else he could have possibly done? And I don't know if #3 is even possible, but I've wondered.

And do we know if any of these were tried?

Obviously it's bad enough that he was killed. But it's even more upsetting to me to think that he might have literally just sat there frozen or unable to do anything while pink was closing in. He HAD to know pink was on the wrong line for enough time to make SOME kind of move.

wild01ride

ok then I must be wrong

Imagine duct-taping an empty water bottle to the front bumper of your car and creeping forward (without the gas pedal) against a rigid wall.

Of course, that's a little bit of an exaggeration, but it's very similar to the situation with the Monorail. The Monorail is contructed with a very lightweight, minimal aluminum structure with a fiberglass body (think of the decorative farings on a motorcycle or the fenders on a hotrod, etc.) - there are absolutely no crashworthiness provisions built into it because it is a system that is designed to be in a low to no risk service role.
Combine that with, as some have mentioned, a total weight of the electric motors, etc. (you know how much a car starter weighs, I imagine) which is in the tens of tons, and you have a very messy impact zone.
Heck, even most car bumpers will disintegrate at low speeds these days - there's a reason that the cosmetic bumpers are only rated at 5mph for IIHS testing.

Needless to say, there is a computer system limiting the maximum travel speed of the Monorail under these operating conditions (basically, for those two trains to be within proximity of one another on that track, they are electronically limited at 15mph and were only able to move within that close distance due to a manual override of the emergency stopping system).

Anyway, I want to take this opportunity to express my sympathy for the CM who lost his life as well as all of those who will live with these memories for the rest of their lives as witnesses to this sad event.

lazyboy97o

If you two belive (by looking at those pictures) that this crash occured at 15mph then keep drinking the koolaid, and :the spur lines that wont allow the speeding train worked just like all the other safety measures did
F=ma The body of a Mark VI is just fiberglass. Its not like it was ripping through structural steel.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom