Monorail Accident

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Can I assume they would have Bombardier come in to repair or do they do this themselves? Or would this extensive damage need the car shipped back to Bombardier?
Most major aircraft manufacturers, including Bombardier, have elite repair crews that travel on a moments notice to complete extensive repairs on site.

What I don't know is whether or not they have a crew like that for monorails.

hpyhnt 1000

That's about the only thing that I can think of logiacally...that pink thought it was on the spur in order to switch beams but, for one reason or another, it wasn't, and instead plowed into purple at the Epcot platform...

loaloa

Terrible news, really. First time in 38 tears that a deadly accident happen to the monorail. The video of the two crashed monorails filmed right after the crash is on Disney and more.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Terrible news, really. First time in 38 tears that a deadly accident happen to the monorail. The video of the two crashed monorails filmed right after the crash is on Disney and more.
You might want to remove that link. The mods have been removing all links to the video.

tigsmom

Please remove this link, it has already been removed from this thread by a moderator. Thanks

scottnj1966

Can I assume they would have Bombardier come in to repair or do they do this themselves? Or would this extensive damage need the car shipped back to Bombardier?

The shell can be replaced and repaired on site with the manufacters help.
Frame damage is going to be the problem here. If that happened on one or both then they have a problem. They may take the both of them to make one good monorail.

I think its time for them to update the safety systems again. If two monorails get to too close, a beeping sound is not enough. The power should cut automatically if the pilot does not stop for some reason.

Things will change.

I am very sad for the cast memeber, his family, and friends too.

Scott

http://www.bigfloridacountry.com/monorail.htm

tomm4004

Based on the linked photograph, can anyone familiar with the station tell how far out of the station the trains are? All we see is the front car of Purple. Is it possible its back end is in the station? I'm just wondering how far the trains were moved between the two photographs.

Clnilsen

Right...

It's strange how the monorail would have been brought into the TTC to evac, without Reedy Creek being present (they are not seen in the video).

No, it happened the other way around. for some reason the damage was pulled, by Pink, out. If you look at the pictures, compression damage is observed on Purple, consistent with the original impact. (picture an accordion compressed) In the second (outside) picture, you can see that Purple's tear has been pulled straight away, and you can observe the tear in the side from the original collision. No guess as to why, but this also jives with the video footage.

Slipknot

I think its time for them to update the safety systems again. If two monorails get to too close, a beeping sound is not enough. The power should cut automatically if the pilot does not stop for some reason.

The monorails are supposed to stop themselves if too close to another monorail.

Lee

Adventurer
The monorails are supposed to stop themselves if too close to another monorail.
Indeed.
Except for in this case Pink was on override to bypass that function, and Purple was (possibly) stationary already.
The only way there was a MAPO failure is if Purple was moving and didn't detect Pink backing up towards it.

Question for those who know more about it:
If Pink was on override, and Purple was moving, would the E-Stop that MAPO would force effect Pink since it was on override?

tomm4004

No, it happened the other way around. for some reason the damage was pulled, by Pink, out. If you look at the pictures, compression damage is observed on Purple, consistent with the original impact. (picture an accordion compressed) In the second (outside) picture, you can see that Purple's tear has been pulled straight away, and you can observe the tear in the side from the original collision. No guess as to why, but this also jives with the video footage.

So you're saying that outside photograph is the later one? And that they moved Pink after evac and it dragged Purple along with it? Anyone know what position the trains are currently in?

lazyboy97o

An anonymous witness, allegedy the person who took the photo of the monorails from outside station, on CNN just stated that the monorail collided outside of the station, and that "about 10 to 15 seconds after" they were moved into the station.

Dskipper

ok if pink was switching tracks there is no need for it to go backwards. only way to switch track is to go stright. like it was heading to epcot. go out past the curve. switch to spur. then go backwards on spur and switch to mk express line sit in express station untill storage track is switched then store train. dont make since unless pink didnt know it was still on epcot beam and not spur. maybe they didnt switch the track to spur quick enough and it just backed right up back into the same station as purple was coming in and hit purple and shoved it back out of the station so other wards both trains could have been using over ride to get the night over with to get pink off and purple in the station to unload and store.

hpyhnt 1000

Yep. Emergency airbrakes should kick in and stop the train in no more than a hundred feet if the pilot does not stop the train manually.

Slipknot

Indeed.
Except for in this case Pink was on override to bypass that function, and Purple was (possibly) stationary already.

I know. I was just letting the poster who I quoted that it doesn't just beep at the pilot to warn them.

HMF

Very sad' What will this mean for the future of the Mark VI line? Does this mean the Mark VIII will be coing sooner than expected.

tomm4004

An anonymous witness, allegedy the person who took the photo of the monorails from outside station, on CNN just stated that the monorail collided outside of the station, and that "about 10 to 15 seconds after" they were moved into the station.

This gets at the crux of my confusion. The video in the station indicates that the driver of Purple was still in the cab. People are shouting out to him. If the collision occurred outside the station, why would you move the train into the station? (And how would you?) If the trains are scrunched together and the driver of Purple is not (I assume) responding, would it not be ill-advised to push into the station fearing that more damage could be done to the cockpit?

This was the reason it actually made more sense to me that the move happened after evac, but again, there's no way to know right now until we have some facts.

AstareGod

Indeed.
The only way there was a MAPO failure is if Purple was moving and didn't detect Pink backing up towards it.

Question for those who know more about it:
If Pink was on override, and Purple was moving, would the E-Stop that MAPO would force effect Pink since it was on override?

This is just my limited knowledge, BUT, as is obvious from the thread, trains are able to drive forwards and in reverse. When switched to reverse, the trains "should" start sensing the MAPO/MBS signals in that direction. If Pink was moving in reverse, Purple should have been blocking the signals ahead of it AND behind it, so Pink should not have received any signals behind Purple.

Of course the pilot may have mistook Purple's blocking of the signals as a normal condition of switching to another beam, which has been one possibility that people have spoken of - and may have been confirmed by Central who was supposedly guiding the driver of Pink.

Also I apologize if I get the two colors mixed up but the situation above may explain more as to why this happened.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom