Monorail Accident

Bebimarie

Crash occured outside of the TTC, trains were brought into TTC to evac.. not sure how, pink may have 'drug' purple into the station in an attempt to get the loaded parties off.. the video on the sentinel site shows people leaving the head car behind the cab with a stroller and what not..

Statements from actual pilots that have told me they crashed inside the station. The picture where they're outside is in fact the trains being taken to shop!

Tiggerfanatic

I just turned on my computer, and saw this on my Yahoo! home page. So sad, and my thoughts and sympathies go out to the family of the pilot.

BalooChicago

Is there no video for the pilot to see behind the monorail? They have backup cameras and ultrasonic cruise control in sub $30k cars now.

imagineer boy

You know, I think its time they made the monorails automated/driverless like at TDL.

But with that said, my sympathies to the families of the driver. Very sad. :(

hardcard

I don't think so here... The video shows guests calling out to the driver.. if that was the case, they wouldn't bother...

yeah... They couldn't see the driver.. they were shouting into the cab blind..

Based on the fact that the nose of pink is touching the firewall between the cab and the first passenger cabin, I think you can assume the worst.. don't be naive enough to think it would have been survivable.. you are talking about tons of force combined with a small space and zero escape room.. The entire nose of pink was occupying the cab space of purple..

hpyhnt 1000

Forgive me if this is a bit of a strange question, but if I follow what Lee was saying (and if I'm not, please correct me), purple was in the station when pink was given the clearence to back up into the Epcot platform at the TTC. If that's the case, what is the reasoning for doing this? They can't run the monorail backwards for the length of the beam, so why have pink going backwards into the TTC? I'm just wondering what the reasoning is?

Dskipper

i dont think there would have been any way anyone would have lived in the front of monorail purple. pink is sitting all the way inside purples nose. think about how close the pilot sits to the back wall. and i think the other cms working plat form knew that, thats why he didnt want video or camras because when that door opens wasnt going to be to pretty.

hardcard

Statements from actual pilots that have told me they crashed inside the station. The picture where they're outside is in fact the trains being taken to shop!

might have occured in the station now that we have more info.. but the fact that it remains that as of right now, the trains are still at the TTC, and not shops.. and if they WERE taking them to shops... thats the wrong direction of movement, unless they wanted to go the long way..

Lee

Adventurer
Forgive me if this is a bit of a strange question, but if I follow what Lee was saying (and if I'm not, please correct me), purple was in the station when pink was given the clearence to back up into the Epcot platform at the TTC. If that's the case, what is the reasoning for doing this? They can't run the monorail backwards for the length of the beam, so why have pink going backwards into the TTC? I'm just wondering what the reasoning is?
As I understand it, they would be backing it up to get it on the beam to take it out of service or something like that..

xsupaxmanxsfnex

might have occured in the station now that we have more info.. but the fact that it remains that as of right now, the trains are still at the TTC, and not shops.. and if they WERE taking them to shops... thats the wrong direction of movement, unless they wanted to go the long way..
Maybe they took them back to the station to prevent further destruction.

hardcard

actually, the logical thought is that they probably backed pink up a little more and pushed purple back with it so that the pilot of pink could be evaced into the ttc.

hpyhnt 1000

On the Epcot side of the TTC? Isn't the switch point about 1000 feet or so in front of the station? I could understand if the accident was on the express beam, but on the Epcot beam? Then pink would have completely missed the switch point. Doesn't make sense to me (unless, did this happend on the express line?).

Slipknot

On the Epcot side of the TTC? Isn't the switch point about 1000 feet or so in front of the station? I could understand if the accident was on the express beam, but on the Epcot beam? Then pink would have completely missed the switch point. Doesn't make sense to me (unless, did this happend on the express line?).

Epcot beam. Doesn't make sense to me either as there is no logical reason to back up a monorail on the Epcot beam unless it was being switched to the express beam.

Dskipper

lee, you might know more about monorails then me so tell me if this is right or not. but according to a friend that works it. if a monorail is added or taken off any part of the system it isnt done till all monorails are into a station and everything is powered down until that monorail is off the main track and past space mt. the pic with purple and pink out side station is were they hit. why would pink be sitting that far out of the station?

mikeymouse

Can I assume they would have Bombardier come in to repair or do they do this themselves? Or would this extensive damage need the car shipped back to Bombardier?

mattfusf

Here is a map of the area: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...779,-81.577215&spn=0.003298,0.006968&t=h&z=18

Perhaps going in reverse, in the dark, the pilot couldn't tell which track he was on.

Lee

Adventurer
lee, you might know more about monorails then me ...
Unlikely. My knowledge of the Monorail, and it's operating details, is very limited.
All I know is what I was told this morning. What it means.....?:shrug:

However, I don't think they would be backing it up to take it out of service. I don't think that would be a practical way to do it.
I think something is getting mixed up a little bit in the jumble of information. I'll try to find out more.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom