Monorail Accident Explained

JML42691

Does anybody know if the trains are capable of being operated from either control cabin? If so, why wouldn't they have a driver on both sides when doing these operations? Or if not, they could still have somebody in the back cabin to communicate with the driver instead of reversing blindly.
To switch the cabin that controls the train requires the train to be powered down and then rebooted from the other cabin, which from what we've been told in the main thread by board#### (sorry, I forget his name exactly) this takes a decent amount of time and would delay guests in other trains from unloading. So in order to expedite the switch over to the other track, Disney's policy was to have the driver control the train from the rear cab until it stopped at MK where they would do the changeover.

EPCOTPluto

Unfortunately, that was sort of the problem... the monorails do have a detection system that can take control of the trains and make it stop if another gets too close, but when the trains are being switched on tracks this system is overridden which allowed Pink to hit Purple.

Detection systems and overrides can't be the end all to be all, there have to be allowances to stop the computer from taking over the train like when switching tracks or if the driver has to make a small adjustment like when the train overshot the station platform by a bit. That's the problem with computers, sometimes they are 'too perfect' and can't make judgment calls when something outside the norm happens.

Interesting...has Disney tried to improve the problem yet now with this accident?

Nixjem

To switch the cabin that controls the train requires the train to be powered down and then rebooted from the other cabin, which from what we've been told in the main thread by board#### (sorry, I forget his name exactly) this takes a decent amount of time and would delay guests in other trains from unloading. So in order to expedite the switch over to the other track, Disney's policy was to have the driver control the train from the rear cab until it stopped at MK where they would do the changeover.

I was wondering about this also. I remembered being told when I was 8 that the monorail could be driven from either end. I also think that at one point a pilot was needed in both ends at all times for a while.:shrug:

I don't know my memory is very fuzzy.

Main Street USA

Screamscape may have it right, but this same info was posted here the same day the incident occurred from a former monorail pilot as the only possible way the accident could have happened.

Spyne

Even though ScreamScape isn't the most reliable source, it's still interesting information. I can also fully understand why the practice of guests riding in front with the pilots is temporarily suspended, really makes sense at this time. But let's be happy it's just a temporary decision.

disney9752

considering the extent of the damage, i'm going to say a whole new cab/car will have to be made for at least purple if not pink also. Disney/Eisner had a falling out with "bombardier" i think the manufacturer of the current trains so i dont know what kind of help or fast help they will be willing to offer. They may also not keep purple & find a new color for it considering what happened. I'd be willing to say it will be a couple months before we are even close to having all 12 running again.:cry:

board57796

considering the extent of the damage, i'm going to say a whole new cab/car will have to be made for at least purple if not pink also. Disney/Eisner had a falling out with "bombardier" i think the manufacturer of the current trains so i dont know what kind of help or fast help they will be willing to offer. They may also not keep purple & find a new color for it considering what happened. I'd be willing to say it will be a couple months before we are even close to having all 12 running again.:cry:

In the 70s, two MkIV trains collided. No deaths. Overnight, Disney had taken the front end of the front train (I think Blue), and the rear end of the rear train (Red), spliced them together, painted Red's stripe Blue and sent the train out as "Blue" the next day and tried to deny any accident. People got suspicious when the rear portion of "Blue's" stripe turned purple.

cnymike

Problem is the current fleet is not able to be spliced together. The trains were delivered as one hole unit, not meant to be torn apart.

board57796

Problem is the current fleet is not able to be spliced together. The trains were delivered as one hole unit, not meant to be torn apart.

In the break room at TTC, theres a photo of MkVI Blue (the first of the new trains) being delivered, and only the first car is being hoisted up onto the beam, with Mickey standing beneath it with his arms up, the angle of the photo suggesting Mickey is "bench pressing" the car up onto the beam. So, I know the trains were apart at least then.

disney9752

I'm sure the electronics of the markvi versus the mark iv in the 70's is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay different & wont allow that.:shrug:

board57796

I would assume youre correct, I suppose it was just a story to share what Disney "had" done before, and its been tossed around between current Pilots. They most likely will rehaul the trains.

lazyboy97o

I'm sure the electronics of the markvi versus the mark iv in the 70's is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay different & wont allow that.:shrug:
Unless each monorail has been wired in a different manner, I fail to see why this could not be done. It might be a more involved process, but the trains can come apart.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom