Moderate Vs VAlue resorts

pixie1115

WE are booked at a value resort, thinking of upgrading to a moderate. I don't think we will be in our room all that much but i still want some place decent and moderatly quiet to stay. Is there a big difference in value and moderate? Any moderates that are better than others?

disneyfromvermo

the differences

Previous posts have highlighted many of the major differences (fridge, food court vs sit down restaurant, etc.). I would add a couple things though. As many have mentioned if your room is just a place to crash at night then the Pop is a great choice (we stayed there on our most recent trip). However, if you will spend significant time around the hotel then Port Orleans would offer things like horse and buggy rides, bicycle rentals, boat transportation to pleasure island. Admittedly, these are small things but if you wish to take advantage of them then...Either way, you can't have anything less than a wonderful time in the World!

Upvote 0

surfsupdon

Everyone is always stating "why pay more--all you do is sleep in the room." For many, including my family, we don't go to Disney merely for the top notch theme parks. The Resort experience is also part of the vacation.

So instead of saying "go for a value and save $$ b/c all you will do is sleep in the room," I say to enjoy the moderate for its recreational purposes if that is something you are interested in enjoying. The boats and bikes, pools with slides, and different activities make for a more complete experience than at a value.

Unless, of course, you will only sleep in the room. In that case, stay Value. But if you want many more options for a fair price difference, moderates are the way to go.

Many people do not enjoy Caribbean Beach as much, stating the theme is great but the layout is WAY too large and convoluted. But still it is our favorite. Request Aruba or Jamaica to be centrally located without paying extra for the "preferred location." The Port Orleans Resorts are great too, but have never stayed at Coronado.

Enjoy.

Upvote 0

dazzer68

when weve stayed at value, weve done other things at other resorts!
horseriding at wilderness, swam ot other resorts pools, eaten in the restaurants, so go value...live moderate:p

Upvote 0

Craig & Lisa

when weve stayed at value, weve done other things at other resorts!
horseriding at wilderness, swam ot other resorts pools, eaten in the restaurants, so go value...live moderate:p
You are right on the money, just because your at a value doesn't mean you can't do certain things, or can only go from there to the parks and back again. We are staying at POP in April and will be eating at Cape May Cafe for dinner, very nice place I might add. We've gone fishing, went to the Luau at the Poly, ( never stayed there ).

Upvote 0

Dwarful

We have stayed at several different resorts of various levels. Most recently we stayed at CSR, won't be going back to CSR. It really depends on what your group wants. It also depends on what you do elsewhere.
At the moderate CSR we only had one sink, no organized bus stop lines for the parks, which led to one fight on Christmas Day (not pretty) and had a tip added on to the food court dining. The 'extras' like the boats and bikes are all things we can (and do) elsewhere for at least 50% less. But if you live in an area that doesn't offer mini boat rentals or surrey bike rentals you can do those things w/o staying on those properties...pools, however are for resort guests only. SO if pools are a big part of your vacation plan accordingly. The pool at CSR looks amazing (and it is) however, if you are close to the pool, you are far from the food areas. If you are close to the main area you are FAR from the pools.

Upvote 0

slappy magoo

Personally, I'd go for a moderate. The values are nice enough, but I find the rooms too small, and there's always one or two days during my vacation where I DO use some of the amenities at a mod resort. Last time my wife (then-fiancee) and I were at PO-R, I'd take boat rides and bike rides while she napped in the afternoon. Plus, just in case we opt to "stay in" certain nights, it's nice to have a full-service restaurant on-site, which you won't get at a Value.

Like others are saying, if you think you'll want to spend some time hanging out at your resort, there will be more to do at a mod than a value. If you know for a fact you won't be spending any "down time" at your resort, and it's just a place to crash when you can't keep your eyes open any longer, a Value is fine. I prefer having the amenities and the extra space.

Slightly off-topic, but I'm always amazed at the level of snobbery and revers-snobbery questions like these always evoke. Amidst friendly well-thought-out responses, you'll invariably find someone slagging on Value resorts as too chintzy, and/or someone who insists staying anywhere BUT a value is like throwing your money down the toilet. To quote Dennis Miller back when he was funny (and that was sooooo long ago) different strokes for different folks, that's why there were FOUR different Kiss solo albums.

Upvote 0

GrowingUpDisney

The OP didn't mention this, but I have to take into consideration the age of my children. We have a 3 yr old and one who will be arriving this month. It would not be easy for me to stay at a Value and go swimming at a moderate simply because of the hassle. So in some cases the amenities are worth it.

While this is never a discussion in our household (we are DVC members) children's age would almost have to be considered when choosing between Value and Moderate. (example: one would definately need a fridge with an infant in the room)

I meant no offense when I say we are DVC members and never have to choose between Mod and Value. If we run out of points or supplement a few nights so as not to use our points, we choose Value. As a matter of a fact we have stayed at all the Value (I like music best) and only 2 of the mods.

Upvote 0

dazzer68

you can swim at value to (any one of the value in all about 8 pools i think!) too plus blizzard beach is a nice walking distance away from the all stars!

Upvote 0
I have stayed at a deluxe(AKL), a moderate (CBR), and All Stars and Pop. To me, the mods add very little value for the extra money. Ask yourself these questions:
Are you appalled by the food court at your mall? If so, you won't like Values.
Do you plan to do any recreational boating? If so, Moderates may be for you.
Is a Hot Tub a special treat that you enjoy, but usually don't have access to at home? If so, the mods may be your move.

Now, also ask yourself these questions:
Is WDW Bus service important to you? If so, go with Pop. It just has one Bus Stop, that is fairly centraly located. Buses at Allstars and CBR often make multiple stops, slowing the whole commute process. (unsure about Port O)
Where have I stayed at the Disney resort before? Will the value be a let down?
Am I willing to walk an extra 50-100 yards to have quiet? Don't pay extra for a preffered Value room near pools and food court. Request a standard room away from pools, fourth floor is best.

Just my opinion. If I was going to go up from 100/night to 175/ night to stay at a moderate, I would just go ahead and stay at deluxe, and try and find a way to get it at a discounted rate,sometimes as low as 200.

This guy said it all! We've stayed at ASM, CBR, and most recently WL(January 07). We got WL through AAA and our discount made it not much more than a moderate resort. In our case, our kids are now 17 and 20...we were looking to spend a little more time in the resort relaxing. You just can't do that at a value resort unless you don't mind other peoples screaming kids 24/7. At this point in my life I just want to relax and reduce my stress level when I'm on vacation. I supose that's why we bought into SSR last year. That will be our next trip after we use some points in May for a 2 day trip to NYC. I would go back to CBR in a heartbeat. The palm trees, the tropical atmosphere...we were realy able to unwind and still enjoy the parks. A quick tip is to book a room (a "preferred location") as close to Port Royal as possible. We had no problems with bus service from there and you are next to the coffee. Have fun planning, it's the best part...:wave:

Upvote 0

DisneyMusician2

I always try to stay in the value resorts when I can, because I am always taking advantage of other hours in the parks or at Pleasure Island. If you need more pool time, I like the pool better at POR than at the other Moderate locations.

Upvote 0

GrowingUpDisney

you can swim at value to (any one of the value in all about 8 pools i think!) too plus blizzard beach is a nice walking distance away from the all stars!

Sorry - I should have been more specific. My three yr old likes a slide. I would not pay for one of the water parks since he really can't do anything more that what a resort slide would provide.

Upvote 0

coltow

The OP didn't mention this, but I have to take into consideration the age of my children. We have a 3 yr old and one who will be arriving this month. It would not be easy for me to stay at a Value and go swimming at a moderate simply because of the hassle. So in some cases the amenities are worth it.
This is exactly what I was thinking while reading these posts. We stayed at ASMusic when DS was 8 months and it was ok nothing special, but not easy to get around with an infant and we encountered very rude people on the busses (I know that can be the case at any place but it seemed more so here). The next trip was at Pop (DS almost 2) and that was ok too. The buses worked out better at Pop but the rooms where basically the same, fairly small, especially when you need to put a portable crib in it. Our most recent trip was at WL and DS was 2 1/2 this was the perfect spot for us. It was so easy to come and go, the resort was fairly quiet. The pool was great. When traveling with toddlers or infants I don't suggest a value at all.

Another thing to consider is time of year. If you go in the summer you will want afternoon breaks then it will be more of a benefit to upgrade so that you can go back for a nap/swim. Value buses and pools will be quite busy and it may make your trip a little less enjoyable. If you go in the winter, the parks aren't open as late so you'll probably be away from your room from park open to close, then it won't matter so much if the pools are busy in the afternoons.

Upvote 0

2gether

This is exactly what I was thinking while reading these posts. We stayed at ASMusic when DS was 8 months and it was ok nothing special, but not easy to get around with an infant and we encountered very rude people on the busses (I know that can be the case at any place but it seemed more so here). The next trip was at Pop (DS almost 2) and that was ok too. The buses worked out better at Pop but the rooms where basically the same, fairly small, especially when you need to put a portable crib in it. Our most recent trip was at WL and DS was 2 1/2 this was the perfect spot for us. It was so easy to come and go, the resort was fairly quiet. The pool was great. When traveling with toddlers or infants I don't suggest a value at all.

Another thing to consider is time of year. If you go in the summer you will want afternoon breaks then it will be more of a benefit to upgrade so that you can go back for a nap/swim. Value buses and pools will be quite busy and it may make your trip a little less enjoyable. If you go in the winter, the parks aren't open as late so you'll probably be away from your room from park open to close, then it won't matter so much if the pools are busy in the afternoons.

I think this is the best post thus far. We can all say whatever we want but it really depends on your specific circumstances.

I myself was a deluxe resort guy but am now DVC. We got deluxe resorts in off times of the year and at low discounts which we found by looking around the websites. They were much much better with little kids.

One thought (and I know it may be anathema to some here) how about the swan or dolphin? They have beautiful rooms and good theming and they come it at or below the moderates cost. Just a thought.

Upvote 0

d'Isigny

Everyone is always stating "why pay more--all you do is sleep in the room." For many, including my family, we don't go to Disney merely for the top notch theme parks. The Resort experience is also part of the vacation.

So instead of saying "go for a value and save $$ b/c all you will do is sleep in the room," I say to enjoy the moderate for its recreational purposes if that is something you are interested in enjoying. The boats and bikes, pools with slides, and different activities make for a more complete experience than at a value.

Unless, of course, you will only sleep in the room. In that case, stay Value. But if you want many more options for a fair price difference, moderates are the way to go.

Many people do not enjoy Caribbean Beach as much, stating the theme is great but the layout is WAY too large and convoluted. But still it is our favorite. Request Aruba or Jamaica to be centrally located without paying extra for the "preferred location." The Port Orleans Resorts are great too, but have never stayed at Coronado.

Enjoy.

I agree...
the Resort is part of the experience...

We had an opportunity to stay at Old Key West...and it wasn't the same experience when we stayed at POR...the room was very nice...but we missed all the amentities...

Upvote 0

GrowingUpDisney

I agree...
the Resort is part of the experience...

We had an opportunity to stay at Old Key West...and it wasn't the same experience when we stayed at POR...the room was very nice...but we missed all the amentities...

I have only stayed at POR once and OKW twice. How were the amenities different? I would think that OKW would have just as many of not more:shrug:

Just curious.

Niki

Upvote 0

d'Isigny

I have only stayed at POR once and OKW twice. How were the amenities different? I would think that OKW would have just as many of not more:shrug:

Just curious.

Niki

well...they sort of have the same... but they don't have a food court at OKW...they have a window service with a limited menu...and their refillable mugs are like Epcot mugs or something and you don't get to fill them yourself (witnessed the unsmiling girl behind the counter deny one of the 5 mugs a little boy handed her...funny, it looked the same)...

plus...no vending machines other than the ones at the bus-stops...

and the building I was in...I had to cross traffic to get to it...

AND...they charged us for extra towels...even though they didn't supply enough for the alloted guest...

I missed POR...

it's the nightly walks to the food court...the layout of the resort and the SMILING people at POR that we missed...

Upvote 0

Lucretia

I agree that OKW was not as "Disney" as POR, but my family still enjoyed the stay there. Actually, we had booked our trip at the tree house villas in the Disney institute. I know, I know, the tree house? Well, they had closed the Institute resort locations after we had booked it, and luckily for us Disney bumped us up to OKW! We stayed in a DVC 2 bedroom villa and it was fab! I would NOT, however, book this resort with my own cash doolars! I liked POR much more. Poly. was the best for us though, but that was a special trip, not an every year thing at all! OKW is kind of like Disney for older folks. Sorry if that offends anyone. Anywhere in Disney is magical! :)

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom