Moderate Resorts

librarylady

Hello all. I know questions like this are asked all the time, but I couldn't find anything that really answered my question. We're going back to Disney sometime during the week of December 4-12 for 5-6 days. We haven't decided exact dates yet. Anyway, I finally convinced my hubby to crack open the wallet to stay at a moderate resort. :lol:

The last two times we've gone, we've stayed at Pop Century. I've read all kinds of reviews, looked at pictures, read spec sheets, but I just can't decide on a resort. Any suggestions, reviews, etc. you can recommend for that time would be great.

I know Pop Warner is down there around the time we're there (oh, yay) but do they usually stay at a particular resort? I'd like to avoid that, if possible. Anyhow, after all that rambling, I would appreciate any and all feedback you may have. :) Thank you!

disneyliv85

Agree with the vote for POFQ. It's smaller, quieter, still has a great pool and easy access to POR if you wanna venture there, plus it's the first stop on the bus route!

Upvote 0

LeafsFanNL

We had 2 five year olds in building 2 in POFQ in 07 and two seven year olds last year in Magnolia Terrace. The kids liked both themed pools, and both resorts. To me other items would be the determining factor, unless the kids were really small.

HB

Upvote 0

DisneyRunner

My family ejoys both PO resorts. Check out www.portorleans.org. We did stay at CSR. The kids enjoyed the queen size bed, but I found the bus route confusing. The feel of the resort felt off to me. We do go back to visit the CSR gift shop. When on the DDP, Pepper Market is a good choice. Otherwise, OOP Pepper Market can be pricey and there is a 10% gratuity added to your bill.

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
With kids PORS or POFQ would be my choice. Second to that wound be CB and I would avoid CS as it is slowing becoming a more adult oriented convention style resort.

Upvote 0

majorrfb

POFQ is the choice

Agree with the vote for POFQ. It's smaller, quieter, still has a great pool and easy access to POR if you wanna venture there, plus it's the first stop on the bus route!

POFQ is an outstanding place for families or a couple to call home base.
My DW and I love the place, its location to everything and use of transportation. The boat ride (free) to DTD is nice and a great way to relax before and after DTD. Great food court there with many choices for all types of eaters. ENJOY!! :ROFLOL:

Upvote 0

DrummerAlly

We've stayed at CBR twice and loved it both times. The resort is a little spread out - but the walks to the main building for food and the pool are lovely. The resort is quiet and relaxing but still really whimsical and fun - plus it has the biggest moderate rooms on property.

Upvote 0

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
I've been very happy with stays at POR, POFQ and CBR...with that being my order of preference. I like the grounds of POR a bit more, particularly the Magnolia Bend area. I do suggest if you use the bus system to use the depots near the main building. FQ is fairly compact which has it's benefits. There is no sit down restaurant at FQ. Boat service from both to DTD is superior.

CBR is bright and lively, but very spread out. There is a real advantage to picking your building here. If you jog, a great path around the lake. Also suggest getting the bus from the depot near Old Port Royal house.

Coronado Springs is also fine, but in my opinion feels like it is "out there".
Somewhat less of a family feel, but in no way bad. Best if you have a car.

Upvote 0

heartodisney

I've been very happy with stays at POR, POFQ and CBR...with that being my order of preference. I like the grounds of POR a bit more, particularly the Magnolia Bend area. I do suggest is you use the bus system to use the depots near the main building. FQ is fairly compact which has it's benefits. There is no sit down restaurant at FQ. Boat service from both to DTD is superior.

CBR is bright and lively, but very spread out. There is a real advantage to picking your building here. If you jog, a great path around the lake. Also suggest getting the bus from the depot near Old Port Royal house.

Coronado Springs is also fine, but in my opinion feels like it is "out there".
Somewhat less of a family feel, but in no way bad. Best if you have a car.

I quite agree with the car thing at CS, we were VERY lucky a friend lent us a car while we stayed there. CS is spread out, but was much quieter. I have yet to stay at CBR, jealous of you!

Upvote 0

WDW 3

POFQ - Love the small size. The issue about no TS is not a problem for us, we rarely eat at the resort. It is too much fun being at the parks and eating there:)

Upvote 0

YankeeMouse

Another vote for POFQ. Have stayed at POR and CBR but we usually stay at AKL and WL, and the only moderate we now consider is POFQ. Nothing wrong with the other two, but due to its small size, the ease of getting to the bus stop, food court, etc., makes it ideal for a family. Request a room toward the back by the river, it is actually only a couple minute walk to the front of the resort and has a beautiful view. If you don't want to pay for the "water view", you can be around the corner from the river and water view, in a matter of seconds.

Upvote 0

librarylady

Original Poster
Thanks to everyone for the responses. It will just be the two of us, sorry I forgot to mention it. I'm leaning toward POFQ based on responses so far. Any other thoughts are appreciated, too! :)

Upvote 0

JillC LI

Another vote for CBR. Stayed there in October and thought it was lovely. Ask for the Jamaica or Aruba buildings. Some complain of bus service here, but we had a rental car.

Upvote 0

Walle

I love POR. I just stayed there for the first time last month and it is beautiful. It was two weeks before Christmas and the buses and boats were not crowded. I love the Mansion side of the resort close to the bridge. Seeing the Horse and Carriages was nice too. Never heard any kids yelling or anything like I did when I stayed at the Value Resorts.
Staying again at POR next week. Can't wait!! The boats are such a great way to get to DD and they're so much fun. Went to MK last time, this time Epcot.:)

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom