moderate or value?

XaiChai

My boyfriend and I are planning on going to Disney this May. He wants to stay in a moderate resort (Port Orleans) while I want to stay in a value resort (all star movies).

His argument is that if we're gonna spend some money on a well-planned Disney trip, we might as well go ahead and stay somewhere comfortable.

My argument is that since we're both students, money isn't something we have surplus of. Anyways, we're only gonna be in the hotel to sleep so it doesn't really matter where we stay.

Yeah, but the hotel is part of the experience, and we've been to the Movies like a gazillion times and Port Orleans looks very nice.
^him

Well, maybe YOU'VE stayed there a million times but I've only stayed there once. Plus, I think the theming for the Movies is nice so it DOES add to the experience. :p
^her

Fine, so I salivate when I see that camera they have at the food court, sue me. But... c'mon... it only takes ONE stay to see everything. Plus it's always full of big groups and nutty kids running around screaming. Not that I have anything against nutty kids screaming, but when you get back from the parks the last thing you need is Mr.MVP practicing his football skills right across the entrance to our room.
^him

But wouldnt you rather spend the money we save on a hotel on nicer things...like a dinner at that fancy french restaurant in Epcot? huh,huh?
^her

C'mon, the difference is negligible. I can still take you to the french place!
^him

Oh...I didn't know you started planting money trees in your backyard...
^her

No, I'm just saying we'll probably have saved enough to be able to do that stuff AND the hotel.
^him

Yeah but...uhgggghh...HE'S IMPOSSIBLE!!! :fork: Okay, what do YOU guys think?

DormaNesbit

I've had the pleasure of staying at Old Key West, All star sports and Port Orleans Riverside. I love Old Key West. It is the best! When I stayed at All Star Sports it was for a soccer tournament for one of my daughters and I hated it. People were running around at all times during the night, yelling and banging on the doors. It was enough to make me never want to stay at a value again. POR is nice and quiet. I would stay at the moderate before the value but this is just one mom's opinion. Please post more of your trip planning! We are not scheduled to go back any time soon:cry: so I would love to hear more about your planning!

Upvote 0

CAPTAIN HOOK

If your budget is tight then go to POP and enjoy WDW. If you have a few more dollars to play around with then go to POFQ - it makes a good time at Disney GREAT

Upvote 0

krankenstein

I tend to save the money and stay at the value. All I ever do at the hotel is sleep and shower, so I cannot justify paying the extra money for the next category up. I would recommend Pop instead of ASMO. I have stayed at both and think Pop is highly superior to any of the AS Resorts.

Upvote 0

PoohBear119

You could price both resorts (ASMo and POR) and try for a AAA discount or some other ind of discount. Of you can get the discount for the moderate I say try it, but if you are on a budget I say try POP or a different AS resort. That way you can eat a nice sit down dinner somewhere.

Upvote 0

disneytopdog

I have also stayed at All Star Sports. After staying at POFQ I think about booking a value, but POFQ was so much more relaxing and quiet after a long day in the parks.

You just can't beat a good foot soaking in the hot tub after you have walked miles and miles in the heat. You cant do that at a value.

But if its a value vs not going at all...then by all means its a value then.

Upvote 0

SchultzFamily

Truthfully, we hate the values--too noisy and crowded for us. We are not big fans of POR (although we like the looks of POFQ). We always stay at the Coronado (stay #7 coming up). However, that being said, if money is an object, then I guess I would say stay at the value and that way you can enjoy some nicer dinners and perhaps even parasailing or something that you might both enjoy.

Upvote 0

Stellajack

Premium Member
Moderate or Value

"C'mon, the difference is negligible. I can still take you to the french place!
^him"

XaiChai,
Oh, I DO LOVE this post! We are all witnesses that you gave it your best effort to talk him out of it! Here you have the promise of a moderate resort (which happens to be my VERY favorite) PLUS the french place! Go ahead, why not give in to "him" and do the Moderate! :lookaroun

Upvote 0

Doombuggy13

Our thoughts on this matter changed after our last visit. We have only stayed on property our last 2 trips. The first was at POP. Although we enjoyed our stay, it did have it's downsides. It was extremely crowded, food court was always packed. Our room was by the computer pool and although the pool had certain hours, there were people in it at ALL HOURS, making noise. Main thing was that the bus stop was brutal. Right out front in the July sun, always crowded in long lines.
Our next trip we decided to spend the extra $$ on a moderate. We stayed at Coronado Springs. What a difference!! Beautiful, quiet, laid back atmosphere. Four bus stops, covered with ceiling fans, soda machines, drinking fountains, seating. At our bus stop, #4, we usually were the only ones there waiting. Fantastic themed pool, hot tub, refrigerators in the rooms. Staff was outstanding. The only downside to CSR was that it is a HUGE resort.

We were sold on the moderates at that point. We will be staying at POFQ in Sept and are looking forward to that.

Upvote 0

danpam1024

Go for the mods, they are much nicer, POFQ is one of our favs. You'll forget all about the extra cash when you're relaxing by the pool, having a drink at Scat Cats, or riding the boat to DTD! BTW, the "Fancy French Place" was not all that great, wonderful experience though!

Upvote 0

snowhyte

I'm not a big fan of the values - although we are staying at POP in December- so I'd say go for POFQ. We have stayed there twice and POR twice and they really are a much more relaxing experience than the values. I'd rather give up the fancy meal(s)and pay for a better resort!

Upvote 0

CleveRocks

Some facts to consider, for comparison ....
Moderate rooms are 314 sq. ft. (except CBR rooms are 340).
Value rooms are 260 sq. ft.
The 54 square feet difference is about the size of two double beds.

Moderate rooms have a ceiling fan.
Value rooms don't.

Moderate rooms have a fridge.
Value rooms don't (or you'll pay $10/day to rent).

Moderate rooms have 2 sinks (except CSR's have 1).
Value rooms have 1 sink.

Moderates have a pool slide and a hot tub.
Values have neither.

Moderates provide pool towels at the main pool.
Values do not provide any pool towels … you must use your room towels.

Moderates' bus stops are covered (think protection from rain and hot sun).
Values' bus stops are not covered.

Moderates have lush landscaping.
Values have more "hardscaping."

Moderates have a food court AND a table-service restaurant (except POFQ ... food court only).
Values have only a food court.

Moderates have some sort of recreational activity (e.g., boat rentals, bike rentals).
Values don't have that type of recreational activity.

At Moderates, the maximum room charge limit is $1,000.
At Values, it's $500.

EXTRA CREDIT:

POFQ and POR have boat service to Downtown Disney.
CSR has full room service, and a gym.
Values are much more "kid-themed" and whimsical-looking than the Moderates.

Upvote 0

GoofyDan

We're going on our very first trip to the World in 45 days, so it goes without saying that my opinion should probably bear little weight.

POP was our first choice -- our reasoning was much like yours -- we could take that extra money we'd spend on a room and buy more souvenirs or eat another nice meal (or three) for the price difference. POP wasn't available when we booked and we ended up at POFQ -- and I think it will end up being better for us. It's just going to be the wife and me and POFQ since some say POFQ is one of the most romantic moderates, that sounds good to us! I sure haven't read a lot of folks talking about how romantic POP or Movies (or, really any of the values) are.

Our dynamic sounds a lot like yours -- I'm the spender, my wife is the saver. I say give in, stay at Port Orleans and eat a few more baloney sandwiches at home so you can afford to stay where the boyfriend wants and do all the things you want!

Upvote 0

Katybug

I went in December with my boyfriend and we stayed at Port Orleans Riverside. Really..there is a HUGE difference to me to stay there than at the Values, which I've done both. If we go on a family trip we usually stay at the values, BUT last year when just the 2 of us went it was VERY nice to stay at Port Orleans. The hotel was a lot more of the experience than I thought it would be. It made the whole trip better! I saw a lot of kids at Port Orleans but most of them were a little older, like over 5. It was a lot more romantic :) We are going again this December and wouldn't stay anywhere else! We LOVED it!!

Upvote 0

Tinkerbella16

I have stayed at all of the values and all of the mods except POFQ, but will be staying at POFQ in November. I must say that POR is my fave thus far. I will spend a little bit extra on a mod resort for a nicer place, bigger room, and more amenities than a value. We found the values to be much more crowded than the mods. I fell in love with POR last year...it is so quiet and has such a beautiful atmosphere. POR and POFQ have boat transportation to DTD which was something we used alot and it was very relaxing to get away from the busses for a once.

Upvote 0

lilclerk

Moderates' bus stops are covered (think protection from rain and hot sun).
Values' bus stops are not covered.
Y'know, I'm a value resort fan and all the other cut backs I can understand, but I just don't get why they couldn't provide some SHADE at the bus stop. That's the one and only thing that bugs me at the values.

Upvote 0

WTBAD

There is slightly more difference in rates then your boyfriend thinks.
Value Season difference is $ 67 plus tax, or $ 75.38 per night.
Regular Season difference is $ 66 plus tax, or $ 74.25 per night.
Summer Season difference is $ 70 plus tax, or $ 78.75 per night.
Peak Season difference is $ 79 plus tax, or $ 88.88 per night.
Holiday difference is $ 76 plus tax, or $ 85.50 per night.

You said you were going in May. The summer season will start around
May 22. Now you can show your BF what the cost difference will be. And with gas prices what they are now that difference should cover most or all of your gas for the trip.

Several people has listed pros & cons between Mods & Values. One of the differences note was the size of the rooms. For two people a 216 sqft room is more than big enough. If the two of you need more space, maybe you shouldn't be together. Also, you don't need to be staying at a particular resort to eat at its restaurant. Someone mentioned that the Mod pools had slides, your how old? Is this really a consideration?

I woulkd think that from college students, costs would be the biggest consideration, unless someone's mom & dad are well off & paying all the bills. Show your BF the actual diff in room rates & how much extra you will have to pay for a Mod for the length of your stay. That should help your side of the disscussion.

Upvote 0

cameronmouse

my wife and i have stayed at carribean beach for our honeymoon and thought it was nice but we also have stood at allstar music. We love to take pictures and we got some funny ones just using the huge music symbols and stuff on the property. But we look at as we're only sleeping and showering here so why go crazy.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom